Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internatiol Coop Query- help!

• 15-05-2012 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys I'm hoping someone can give me an answer here so I don't get my hopes up for nothing! But I'm just wondering if anyone has ever managed to go on coop abroad with a qca below 2.6 but above 2.0? Because I'm not sure if the definitive minimum requirement is 2.6 but I've been led to believe it is? Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Just from what I've heard from the Co-Op office and a few people who've already done it, you're QCA needs to be above 2.6 or the Co-Op office won't even try to place you abroad. The International Co-ordinator... think her name is Dara or something, said as much in the Co-Op meeting we had in around week 10.

Of course, there's nothing stopping you finding your own placement abroad if your QCA is <2.6, while still having the Co-Op office look for Irish placement for you as a back up (what I'm planning to do).

I'm open to correction on any of the above by the way, that's just how I understood it to work from talking to people in the Co-Op office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Some courses have to be over 2.6 I think for overseas co-op. Not all though, 2 friends of mine definately did not have qca of over 2.6 and are currently working in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kiki18

Thanks guys. Yeah I was hearing that 2.6 was really the minimum. Suppose I will have to try looking for it myself. How would you even go about doing that though?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Kiki18 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Yeah I was hearing that 2.6 was really the minimum. Suppose I will have to try looking for it myself. How would you even go about doing that though?!

Before you go looking for it yourself, it'd be worth calling into the Co-Op office and talking to whoever's your co-op coordinator, as yesno says, it may not be 2.6 minimum depending on your course, in fact, I'd say if you're doing BBS or something the chances are that there isn't a minimum (that's speculation, not fact)

As for looking yourself, what I've been doing is trawling the net looking for internships in the area of my course and sending emails. I don't hold out much hope, but you don't ask you don't get and all that! :P

Best of luck with finding something. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Ask Dara or Niamh crowe in the co-op office just to make sure, they are very nice they might be able to help you out. As for lookin for your own co-op internationally I must have sent out 50 e-mails and got nothing back so im just giving up and going through the co-op office aswell, but its not going to hurt you to send e-mails with a cover letter and CV to places tha interest you. Remember with internships in the USA though that a lot of them are not paid placements, but if you go through the co-op office you have a better chance of getting paid it seems. Best of luck were all in the same boat at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Sorry for digging up an old enough thread, but:

When do you need to look for your own coop? I'll be doing coop next summer, so should I start as soon as I'm back in college?

Is it common for people to find their own placements and are companies approached regularly regarding placements?

If you decide to stay in Ireland and leave it up to the coop office, do they normally find decent placements? I've a QCA of 2.45 currently (fúck ups during first semester), but a very good CV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

The coop office doesn't want students to look for their own Coop and will give you a choice about that. Play it smart and stick with their system while looking for your own on the side only let them know once you have the i dotted and the t crossed

Jester252 wrote: »
    The coop office doesn't want students to look for their own Coop and will give you a choice about that. Play it smart and stick with their system while looking for your own on the side only let them know once you have the i dotted and the t crossed

Agree with this I'm doing the same at the moment, not going too well though I'm afraid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭PinkBottle

Agree with this I'm doing the same at the moment, not going too well though I'm afraid!!

Snap..

PinkBottle wrote: »

Snap..

Snap??

• Advertisement
Advertisement