Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secondary school history books: any reliable one?

• 15-05-2012 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

We've been given a list of books for the coming year. The principal has, reasonably enough, requested that we not make changes given the financial constraints on parents. However, I'm wholly unimpressed with the history texts used to date. We've used both Uncovering History by Seán Delap and Paul McCormack and Modern Ireland by Gerard Brockie and Raymond Walshe for the Junior Cert.

Both of them are riddled with factual inaccuracies. I've repeatedly had to tell kids to scribble over things and put in the correct information beside it. I'd find it hard to believe a single author could make so many mistakes on a mere secondary school textbook. Two authors makings loads of mistakes on such texts is sheer laziness at best. I just hope the examiners are aware of these mistakes!

Is there any reliable history textbook out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Can you give examples of the errors in Modern Ireland?

I'm not familiar with the text but those lads have been writing books since the 80s with their focus on the past books which I really enjoyed as a student and use now the odd time for additional material in class.

As far as other books go I have used People of the Past before and I haven't found any inaccuracies but the layout leaves a little to be desired.

Advertisement