Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short story option for HL English?

• 15-05-2012 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Ive always chosen that one and it's the one our teacher recommends but at the same time we've gotten no help on it whatsoever.
    I used to love creative writing, only recently took it off the cao.
    But my essay for the mocks got **** all.
    And it was, in my opinion, my best/favourite one Iv'e written.
    So just wondering does anyone have guidelines for the short story option to exploit the marking scheme?
    25% .. kinda panicking now!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Structure structure structure! Examiners like to see that you can lay out a story that has a beginning, middle and end (or a plot). If you have stylistic flair, that's great! But focus on getting your structures down to a tee before you go off making wild stylistic leaps of faith (trust me, I do those enough to know by now to stay away from them :pac:). Overall I think the examiner wants to see that you can develop a few different aspects of a story (character, setting, plot, atmosphere), along with a bit of flair too. I get almost full marks in most of my essays by just planning out my short stores beforehand like this. :) Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Best thing for the short story is to be original.

Our teacher showed us an story from 09. Hardly any structure, one paragraph 1 1/2 pages and next one 6 lines, etc. Terrible essay from that point. The important decision the character had to make was whether the woman got treatment for her cancer and baby died or let baby live. Ended on a cliffhanger.
    This person got 100/100 for her essay.

Shows that sometimes being pure original and genius works

Our teacher showed us an story from 09. Hardly any structure, one paragraph 1 1/2 pages and next one 6 lines, etc. Terrible essay from that point. The important decision the character had to make was whether the woman got treatment for her cancer and baby died or let baby live. Ended on a cliffhanger.

It's a bit extreme though isn't it? I'm not trying to be a literary critic or anything but it's kinda tasteless just to use two situations like that, just to create massive tension in a story (and therefore massive marks, according to that examiner). Just my opinion, I think the mark of a good story is when the subject matter is very very mundane but the writer brings it to life with his or her insights into the events, or just the style of writing. What you described there doesn't sound pure original or genius to me, it sounds like lowest common denominator s**t written by someone who knew they'd get a good mark if they went beyond the limits of taste. Let me use a metaphor; it's the equivalent of some guy at a party taking out his guitar, playing wonderwall, and everybody thinking he's amazing. (When he's actually s**t.) Soz for the rant (:pac:), not trying to go off at you or anything but I don't think that's what short stories should be about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

We've always been taught to vary the paragraph lengths. perhaps not to such an extreme as that, yet to one where your work doesn't look robotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

I wrote a short story recently which is a cross between the Matrix and Pulp Fiction.

I shall post it when the exams are over (hehehehe.....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Ive always been original enough I think in my essays .. I write the kinda stories I like to read .. deep, realistic, kinda shocking all that, but Ive never got high marks in them. Then again my teachers an ass.
    Spose it depends on the examiners preferences too?
    Maybe I just need to introduce a bit more structure, best of both worlds! :)
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

For my essay in the mocks I went pure post-modern; It was about me experiencing sleep paralysis and feeling as if my body were melting into a brownish puddle from the feet up. When the sensation reached my head I sort of astrally projected and got trapped in my mirror. Then my mindless body reformed, woke up and got ready for school. I started panicking because that was the day on my English mock and I needed a good grade. My mindless body knocked over the mirror and I got free and managed to follow myself to the exam hall at school where I got trapped in the reflection of the face of the clock in the exam hall. I saw myself not doing anything, I shouted out "NO YOU BASTARD YOU'LL RUIN MY ****ING MOCKS!" only the words came from the mouth of my body; A teacher lost the head at me and sent me up to the office. My body tripped and melted into a puddle of brown goo on the floor. I went mad and managed to knock the clock off the wall, shattering it and freeing myself. I dove into the puddle and felt myself re-inflate and woke up to a crowd of teachers standing above me asking what the **** just happened.

Got 60/100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm going to call bull**** on this one unless this was a JC essay. Melodrama, a cliffhanger (almost as bad as the it was all a dream ending) and short to boot will not get you anywhere. Paragraph lengths don't have rules and I've seen that story on soaps god knows how many times.

In my own opinion, stay away from the story altogether. Its a bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The most important thing in the short story question is to answer the question. Originality means nothing if your story is not relevant to the title given. They've tightened up hugely on this over the past few years - one time you would have got a decent mark for just mentioning a photo in "a story where a photograph plays an important part", but now, unless the story specifically has a photo at the core of the plot, it wouldn't get the marks for P and therefore you'd lose on C and L as well.

I'd imagine your poor mark in the mock was a result of your story not being directly relevant to the title.

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I'm going to call bull**** on this one unless this was a JC essay. Melodrama, a cliffhanger (almost as bad as the it was all a dream ending) and short to boot will not get you anywhere. Paragraph lengths don't have rules and I've seen that story on soaps god knows how many times.

What would you recommend doing instead? The speech looks handy enough if you have an interest in current affairs or have good general knowledge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Chuchoter wrote: »

My story in the LC was only two pages long. I got an A1. The length of the story has little to do with your mark. Melodrama is much more interesting to read for a corrector who has another six hundred essays to mark. My stories were always really dramatic. An interesting plot will do a lot. Most people do badly in the short story because they use clichéd storylines and trot out the same tired old conventions where the protagonist defeats all the odds and overcomes any obstacles. As long as you can write well and you put some thought into creating an unusual storyline, you should be okay.

Well now I'm really confused. :L

biohaiid wrote: »
    Well now I'm really confused. :L

Why?
    I'd imagine your poor mark in the mock was a result of your story not being directly relevant to the title.

What did you do in your mock? Knowing this will help.

Why?

Some people saying go for the originality, others against it.

The title was something like the main character had to undergo some signifigant change or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Why?

The title was something like the main character had to undergo some signifigant change or something.
    I did that question the other day.. Started off in a morgue and used flashback technique to tell the story of how the protagonist's mother died and how it changed his life... was pretty happy with it so hopefully it gets a high mark when it comes back corrected! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 tits magee

Here's my short story:

Peter Hunter

But sleep wouldn't come - the more he craved unconsciousness the faster his mind raced… Now he realised he was sweating and his heart was pounding. He desperately needed to relax and calm himself. Rolling over, he started fondling his wife's semi-naked body, feeling first her buttocks, then her breasts - sensing a hardening nipple he slid an exploratory finger inside the tiny knickers that was all she wore in bed - towards the area between her legs where he hoped to find or perhaps stimulate some encouraging and welcoming moistness…
    'Go back to sleep,' she muttered, less than half awake, 'it's the middle of the bloody night.'
    'I need to relax…' he pleaded, wondering why sex so often reduced successful men to beggars, 'I'm getting up soon. Please let me start the day right.'
    'Piss off you sex maniac - go back to sleep…' Sara was being very unladylike, 'It's too bloody early.'
    Now the kettle took forever to boil, but he had plenty of time. Lack of sleep had dulled his brain leaving him with a slight headache that slowed his thinking. A good rest, followed by a shave and a bath would have been better.
    His ritual prelude to these rare expeditions beginning in the middle of the night…
    He put his extra time to good use, checking first his rifle - clean and bright in its lambs wool lined case. Then the ammunition belt - holding twenty-five brass cases, each tipped with a shining metal-jacketed bullet.
    He wouldn't need them all - just one if his aim was true, but the extra shells comforted him…
    The inspection helped to calm his growing nervousness. At last - his lingering fatigue was displaced by a swelling trickle of adrenalin. It was always this way - something he never quite accepted as an everyday event - at least for a respectable businessman, who most days drove to Colchester, before taking a train to Liverpool Street station - then the short walk to his office in London's financial district.
    That was his normal day for Mark Lomax, the man his friends and colleagues knew and understood - not this one, dressed like a terrorist in green and brown, a peaked cap to break up the shape of his face - clothes providing camouflage amongst the hedges and copses of the countryside…
    Few would understand why the quiet businessman crept from his expensive house, at dead of night, gun in hand, working himself into a dizzy feast of adrenalin - to drive fifty-two miles northeast.
    For a pre-dawn assignation in a remote corner of Norfolk…

End

my english teacher told me it was a bit racy :P

its not all of it of course, there's more

And in your short story, was the character undergoing a significant change a central, obvious part of the story?

Originality is not as important as most student's think. If you want an A1, yes, it's vital, but for anything else, a well-written story that addresses the title is sufficient. Examiners are often faced with several stories with very similar or identical plots and are told to mark each on its own merits i.e. as if we haven't seen it before. What is comes down to is how well the candidate answered the question.

And in your short story, was the character undergoing a significant change a central, obvious part of the story?

Originality is not as important as most student's think. If you want an A1, yes, it's vital, but for anything else, a well-written story that addresses the title is sufficient. Examiners are often faced with several stories with very similar or identical plots and are told to mark each on its own merits i.e. as if we haven't seen it before. What is comes down to is how well the candidate answered the question.

Yeah I think so.
    To explain it briefly there was a girl, completley intoxicated, who saw the image of her 12 year old self through a window.
    And she started noticing the differences between then and now and decided to write a letter warning of all the things not to do - drink, drugs, get pregnant.
    Then at the end of each par i.e end of each warning there was a condradiction, like taking another swig, baby kicking etc.
    In the end she decided she wanted to better her life and make a change.
    I think it was relative enough, she underwent 'signifigant change' twice really, but maybe you think otherwise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Hmm, well technically shes already undergone the change. I made the same mistake in my mock but I had the other one, and I chose "Write a modern love story" - but it was a date so my teacher said it didnt fit with the title. They're getting really picky with how well you fit with the title. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Just wondering do you need to have a story already prepared before going into the exam and then you have to try and fit it in to whichever title comes up?
    I usually get ideas from the title the but my teacher said if you do the short story you must have a story already prepared. Do you have to??? :s
    I would but I wonder that the title won't fit in to the story and I'll have to change it.
    And you know the change does it have to be personality wise?

• Advertisement

Of course you dont have to - theres every chance you wont be able to fit it in, considering most stories will be ones that have come up before. I've done about 5 or 6 that got A1s so I'm making sure I know those well, and I learn nice words/descriptions and pray to God I dont make a balls of it :P

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Of course you dont have to - theres every chance you wont be able to fit it in, considering most stories will be ones that have come up before. I've done about 5 or 6 that got A1s so I'm making sure I know those well, and I learn nice words/descriptions and pray to God I dont make a balls of it :P

Oh and she was saying just to have one story but that seems risky I'd have to make the story have a wide variety of themes or something that would fit in with every question.

Why limit yourself? Its always best to have choice :) I'd be careful about a broad story, they're apparently making it harder to get high marks in the stories now because people were rote-learning them, I'd say do a few theme-specific ones with a wide variety of events :)

Why limit yourself? Its always best to have choice :) I'd be careful about a broad story, they're apparently making it harder to get high marks in the stories now because people were rote-learning them, I'd say do a few theme-specific ones with a wide variety of events :)

I'm not sure what to write about the story I wrote but I did that in exam condition mode timed myself planning and everything .
    It was in first person and the woman was a business woman and that day she found out the business might be closing down and she was worried about what would happen if it does and as her husband lost his job and the son is doing well in school she doesn't want to let them down. But other workers are fired instead the business closes down and the boss offers her a the same job but she has to move to the job as thats where the business is moving to. The husband has only recently gotten a new job that he loves and he quits. The son gets used to the idea of moving and didn't like it at the start . Then they move and thats where it ended.

I'm not sure if thats a good plot?? I've been thinking it's not bad but could maybe add something into it as I don't know if it has a major theme .

You could have a lot of themes in there like decisions, moving, jobs, family, challenges, but what I'd do is try to split it up a little. For example if the title in June was something like "a story where a job is lost" focus more on the job being lost than the son doing well in school, but if it said something like "Where a character changes his/her mind" (bad title but just for the example!) you'd focus more on the son coming around to the idea of moving, but itd need to be more central to the plot.

Hope that made sense :)

You could have a lot of themes in there like decisions, moving, jobs, family, challenges, but what I'd do is try to split it up a little. For example if the title in June was something like "a story where a job is lost" focus more on the job being lost than the son doing well in school, but if it said something like "Where a character changes his/her mind" (bad title but just for the example!) you'd focus more on the son coming around to the idea of moving, but itd need to be more central to the plot.

Hope that made sense :)

I was thinking maybe having a character get sick the title was called "the decisive moment" . Oh yeah maybe if I made the family more challenging it was just a happy family really apart from the dad losing his job the woman was providing for the whole family. I'm not sure what change I'd make to the woman who's the main speaker where the character has to undergo a change. I tried to make her a someone who's like in love with their job possibly I could maybe make the family be annoyed at her spending so much time working and she'll have to change and focus more on the family and not just the job :S.

I was thinking maybe having a character get sick the title was called "the decisive moment" . Oh yeah maybe if I made the family more challenging it was just a happy family really apart from the dad losing his job the woman was providing for the whole family. I'm not sure what change I'd make to the woman who's the main speaker where the character has to undergo a change. I tried to make her a someone who's like in love with their job possibly I could maybe make the family be annoyed at her spending so much time working and she'll have to change and focus more on the family and not just the job :S.
    If you wanted to focus in on a change occurring, and make it dramatic which examiners apparently like, you could do something like one loses their job and then the other falls slowly out of love with them...bit dramatic, you'd probably have to break it up a lot, I think the workaholic thing sounds easier and better. :P

I sometimes use flashbacks for a more complicated story or just break it up with "***" to show that time has passed, not 100% sure if you can do that but I dont see why not :) You could do it day by day shes coming home later, talking to them less, doing more work, and the unexpected change could even be that she realizes she needs more time for her family, its pretty workable. (pun not intended ;))

If you wanted to focus in on a change occurring, and make it dramatic which examiners apparently like, you could do something like one loses their job and then the other falls slowly out of love with them...bit dramatic, you'd probably have to break it up a lot, I think the workaholic thing sounds easier and better. :P

I sometimes use flashbacks for a more complicated story or just break it up with "***" to show that time has passed, not 100% sure if you can do that but I dont see why not :) You could do it day by day shes coming home later, talking to them less, doing more work, and the unexpected change could even be that she realizes she needs more time for her family, its pretty workable. (pun not intended ;))

It has to be over 3 days or less my teacher says it's harder to make it any longer so something which can occur over 2-3 days. Yeah I am slightly going towards to workaholic thing. I was actually trying to make the character have the personality traits of Simon Cowell lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

With the essay as well as every section of the English Paper:

Purpose is everything

Seriously, it's so important. My Mock essay was the one about change as well some of ye posted and 'apparently' my essay didn't fit the purpose (even though I talked about a Man's change in lifestyle due to a war, change in relationships because of a war and the final change he experienced- the change from life to death) and I got 22/30.

My Teacher told me that my C+L were full marks, but I didn't get them because I only got 22/30 in my P. Mechanics I got 10/10 in.

Therefore, I got 76/100 and really deserved 92/100 but didn't get it because my Essay didn't link in enough with the title! Purpose is everything!

• Advertisement
Advertisement