Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do [some] fellas hate cats??

• 15-05-2012 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

C'mon, they do, generally.

Yeah a few don't but broadly speaking they tend to fall into the following categories:

1) gay

2) hippy

3) mad animal lover - has about 29 pets anyway

4) megalomaniac who lives in hollowed out mountain

It's not merely that they don't like them, but see them as disgusting or evil or some other mad reaction.

What's the bloody story then??

Comments

There's only so much pussy I can handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

i like cats and i don't fall into any of your specified demographics. /thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

They are horrible things. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I like cats and i am a dude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Because a dog is a mans best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Rubbish thread, obviously not true. Next!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I love cats

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Ruralyoke wrote: »
    C'mon, they do, generally.

Yeah a few don't but broadly speaking they tend to fall into the following categories:

1) gay

2) hippy

3) mad animal lover - has about 29 pets anyway

It's not merely that they don't like them, but see them as disgusting or evil or some other mad reaction.

What's the bloody story then??

1) I'm not

2) I'm not

3) I'm not

4) I wish I was, but sadly I'm not

I really do like cats though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Ruralyoke wrote: »
    Awesome, I now have a life trajectory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

They smell and leave hairs everywhere. Reason enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm a fella and I like cats.

Hypothetical statement "Why do fellas hate cats??" disproved.
    NEXT!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Its not that I hate cats, its just why have a cat when you could have a dog:confused:

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Its not that I hate cats, its just why have a cat when you could have a dog:confused:

They clean themselves for a start, and take care of their own crap. Plus you don't get a guilt trip laid on you if you leave them alone for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i think cats look real cute wrapped in a black sack and some bricks, bless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I like cats.

But the f*ckers make me sneeze :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I don't know.

There's just something about those cold-eyed, sneaky bastards that makes me uneasy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Are you a man or a mouse! :p:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I don't know.

There's just something about those cold-eyed, sneaky bastards that makes me uneasy.

fellas or cats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Umm, I don't mind a bit of pussy every now and again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Kittens are teh ****.. you'd want to be one heartless psychopath not to giggle with joy at the sight of a kitten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I thought you were allergic.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

I don't know.

Agreed. They are evil sneaky horrible things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Best excuse I have heard from many Ailurophobia sufferers is if you die your dog will lay at your side, whilst your cat will eat you.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

People talk about cats smelling bad but I have never known of this phenomenon, whereas dogs stink! Cats don't guilt trip you if you leave them alone for the day, dogs do!

I like dogs too, but the popular notions about cats are just that, notions.

Best excuse I have heard from many Ailurophobia sufferers is if you die your dog will lay at your side, whilst your cat will eat you.:rolleyes:

Even if it was true, why let a good meal go to waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

A dog is loyal a cat is just a horrible animal that has no loyalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Cats just aren't as friendly or loyal as dogs. They scratch, make a revolting horror-movie noise, and they'd sooner fuuck off to the neighbours for food rather than eat whatever the owner dishes out.
    There's nothing about their character that says "Trust me. Show me love, and I'll show it back."
    Just those cold, dead, hunter's eyes, slowly tracking you across the room, making you feel like a fuucking suspect in your own home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

OKKAAAYYY

Not exactly QED, but so far, I'm approx 33% correct it seems.

Let's just see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I just don't like'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Agreed. They are evil sneaky horrible things!

You don't really know cats if you think that. How can an animal be evil for heaven's sake? I think you're believing too many fairy tales and superstitious folklore.

Not a guy but I've had a few cats and they're wonderful creatures that give a lot of affection and love back if you treat them well and take the time to understand their nature. Great for keeping rodents away too.

Cats are more complex creatures than dogs and they're far more independent.
    I'm sure that's why some people don't like them.

My male friend loves cats too. He has two of them and he doesn't fit into any of the OP's categories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I can't stand cats, mostly because I'm allergic to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Inbox wrote: »
    Because a dog is a mans best friend.

When it all boils down you're gonna find in the end,
    a bitch is a bitch,
    but a dog is a man's best friend.
    You can say, or do, what you like.
    But you can't make a ho a housewife.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Those who say cats have no warmth or loyalty either haven't owned one or haven't made the effort to get to know one. They can be naturally quite shy and suspicious of humans but once you gain their trust they can be rewarding pets. We've two at home and they're very affectionate and loving, both we got from kitten age so the trust and bonding came quite natural to both as we hand reared them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A dog will instantly let you know it's happy to see you when you come home. Cats, on the other hand, couldn't give a crap whether you're there or not and will show contempt rather than affection. Evil bastids they are, and I'll siteban anyone who disagrees with me. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Cats are abominations.

Dogs have lived with us for thousands of years. They understand human emotion and can empathize with us. They can read our moods.
    They see themselves as part of the family, which they are, and will take care and protect their owner(s). If your dog is trained properly you will have a loving, intelligent, loyal pet.

Cats only think they own you. They are no where near as intelligent as dogs. They are mean little things. I'm saying that as someone who doesn't hate them. There is one in the house right now, I feed another stray that comes by sometimes too.
    But I know how the hairy bastards think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I like cats because I'm a lazy heterosexual non-megalomaniac slob and couldn't be arsed walking a pet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Cats know things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Zaph wrote: »
    A dog will instantly let you know it's happy to see you when you come home. Cats, on the other hand, couldn't give a crap whether you're there or not and will show contempt rather than affection. Evil bastids they are, and I'll siteban anyone who disagrees with me. :cool:

..hmmmm, getting barred out of Dublin 15....do you promise ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Dogs, I think, are more affectionate. However, they **** everywhere, and they do nothing useful.

My relationship with our cat is an affectionate/professional one. He kills rats. He will not **** in the house under any circumstances, he doesnt need to be walked, he doesnt foul pavements or children's parks.

We provide him with a warm comfortable base from which to go ratting & birding.

To be fair, he kills a lot of blackbirds & pigeons, I'd prefer if he had a stronger taste for magpies, but, you cant have everything. In the winter he sits in front of the fire & purrs, spreading contentment throughout the house. A good deal for all involved, I'd say!

-FoxT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Only hard men hate cats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

More to the point why should cats like people?
    Throughout history they were killed by people who thought they were connected to the devil. Even today you will get the scum of society who thinks it's cool to torture them for fun.
    I think they are friendly animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

grindle wrote: »
    Cats just aren't as friendly or loyal as dogs.

I had a wonderful cat that was very loyal to me. Would follow me everywhere. Hated my ex. That cat was a good judge of character :D

Mistreat a dog and it'll still come back to you. I call that servility not loyalty, although they can be loyal creatures as well of course. But do that to a cat and it'll quite rightly treat you with contempt and sometimes will bugger off. I admire cats independent nature. I don't need something that will slobber all over me looking for affection and affirmation that's it's loved the whole time.
    They scratch, make a revolting horror-movie noise, and they'd sooner fuuck off to the neighbours for food rather than eat whatever the owner dishes out.

They only scratch if they're scared or they're being mistreated. A cat's hiss is to mimic a snake to give the impression that it too is dangerous and has venom-yes really. I call that clever :cool:

Dogs can get on people's nerves barking loudly. If I had a loud hissing or calling cat or a dog barking incessantly living beside me I know which I'd prefer.

Yes some can be picky eaters but then many owners feed them crap food that's not their natural diet so I'm not surprised many of them don't like the muck that most commercial cat food consists of.
    There's nothing about their character that says "Trust me. Show me love, and I'll show it back."
    Just those cold, dead, hunter's eyes, slowly tracking you across the room, making you feel like a fuucking suspect in your own home.

Or you could think of them like the late anthropologist Desmond Morris said-as having a little tiger in your home, as they display many of the same behavioural patterns as their larger cousins.
    I find them fascinating creatures. All the cats I've owned (or who have owned me!) have shown me lots of love and affection as I treated them well.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

..hmmmm, getting barred out of Dublin 15....do you promise ?
    I'll siteban anyone who disagrees with me

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Aidric wrote: »
    They smell

No they don't. :confused:
    Dudess wrote: »
    People talk about cats smelling bad but I have never known of this phenomenon, whereas dogs stink!

+1, dogs smell FAR worse.
    Dudess wrote: »
    Cats don't guilt trip you if you leave them alone for the day, dogs do!

Yeah, I like dogs but they are very needy, in general.

A dog is loyal a cat is just a horrible animal that has no loyalty

REALLY untrue, cats can be very affectionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

FoxT wrote: »
    Dogs, I think, are more affectionate. However, they **** everywhere, and they do nothing useful.

My relationship with our cat is an affectionate/professional one. He kills rats. He will not **** in the house under any circumstances, he doesnt need to be walked, he doesnt foul pavements or children's parks.

We provide him with a warm comfortable base from which to go ratting & birding.

To be fair, he kills a lot of blackbirds & pigeons, I'd prefer if he had a stronger taste for magpies, but, you cant have everything. In the winter he sits in front of the fire & purrs, spreading contentment throughout the house. A good deal for all involved, I'd say!

-FoxT

We've a similar operation running where they earn their keep by exterminating vermin. They literally will kill anything smaller than themselves, I've seen rabbits, field mice, shrews and a vast array of birds fall victim to our two little garden tigers. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Cats are great, c'mon who wouldnt want a Maru?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

They are great.

Low maintenance and hilarious. Thinking of getting one for my place.

krudler wrote: »
    Cats are great, c'mon who wouldnt want a Maru?

Oh, I love love LOVE Maru. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement