Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do [some] fellas hate cats??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Varied wrote: »
    Low maintenance and hilarious.

Thank you! People give me funny looks when I say how funny cats are. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Why do [some] girls hate cats?? It's the million dollar question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Varied wrote: »
    They are great.

Low maintenance and hilarious. Thinking of getting one for my place.

all you need is a box, boxes are like disneyland for cats, or a laser pointer

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I had one dumped on my doorstep as a stray kitten and i took it in and a fondness developed .They are private but they have feelings and you learn that eventually I find them very self-contained and independent and my life is cluttered and i add more all the time but the cat is'nt bothered by the latest anything .There are only a few chores that they have to do and the rest of the day is theirs . We've forgotten something i think .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

OK, I need to step away from the cat thread now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Sea Filly wrote: »
    No they don't. :confused:
    +1, dogs smell FAR worse.

Yep. Never had a cat that smelled bad. Very clean creatures, whereas dogs smell rank if they're not washed often.
    Sea Filly wrote: »
    Yeah, I like dogs but they are very needy, in general.

I like them too in general as I like all animals but I much prefer cats. And yes, really dislike that needyness. Cats are fine on their own for a day or so as long as they have food, water and a fresh litter tray. Most dogs will pine, bark, or become destructive from boredom or anxiety in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Zaph wrote: »
    A dog will instantly let you know it's happy to see you when you come home. Cats, on the other hand, couldn't give a crap whether you're there or not and will show contempt rather than affection. Evil bastids they are, and I'll siteban anyone who disagrees with me. :cool:

My cat actually hates being alone. In the morning when my dad went down to go to work the cat would follow him, eat, then go back up to the room when he left. If it was just me in the house, I would hear a distressed meowing until I let her know I was there. Then she'd sit near me and follow me around until there were other people in the house.

Most cats I've seen tend to be like this. Also if she was alone for most of the day and you returned, she'd run up you leg and wrap her front legs around your neck in a weird kind of hug. Of course can't do that anymore because she's too fat.

Can't wait to see her when I go back to Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Cute furry and vicious and full of LOL - cats are the nuts.

I'm a female type person. I hate cats. Ugh, evil little fuckers. Kittens are cute though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

FoxT wrote: »
    Dogs, I think, are more affectionate. However, they **** everywhere, and they do nothing useful.

That's what happens when you don't train them. And if you're not prepared to train a dog you shouldn't have one.
    Dogs are very useful. That is a ridiculous statement. I don't see any seeing eye cats. I don't see cats helping herd sheep or cattle. And terriers are far better at catching vermin. They also don't destroy local bird populations which is a big problem with cats. "Birding" is not a good thing.
    But they're cute looking so who gives a crap. That's the real logic here.

Shryke wrote: »
    That's what happens when you don't train them. And if you're not prepared to train a dog you shouldn't have one.
    Dogs are very useful. That is a ridiculous statement. I don't see any seeing eye cats. I don't see cats helping herd sheep or cattle. And terriers are far better at catching vermin. They also don't destroy local bird populations which is a big problem with cats. "Birding" is not a good thing.

that's cos they're too smart to be into being cajoled into it :pac: and it gets in the way of their world domination plans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I love cats*. One of my favourite animals.

*Not in a perverted way.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

Originally Posted by Recessionbust
    A dog is loyal a cat is just a horrible animal that has no loyalty

REALLY untrue, cats can be very affectionate.

Yea they can be affectionate but its for their own benefit. Once they get rubbed, fed etc they will be affectionate to almost anybody thats not loyalty. It might prove they are smarter than dogs in that sneaky way tho! But its not a trait I like. Dogs > Cats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Greentopia wrote: »
    Or you could think of them like the late anthropologist Desmond Morris said-as having a little tiger in your home, as they display many of the same behavioural patterns as their larger cousins.
    I have treated them well. I've been scratched and scrawled upon for the crime of giving them a lap that they chose to leap onto and make a bed of.
    They're prickly to get to know, and the reward isn't as abundant as it is with a dog.
    Call it clever if you want, but if a human was being a stand-off-ish prick to you, and you felt under constant surveillance by them, I doubt you'd be thinking "Gosh, he's so clever and resourceful to boot!"
    You'd think "When the fuuck did I get married, and why?".
    As for the last point...
    Why would I want a tiger, whatever the size, in my house? I don't find tigers cute or cuddly either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭dhmusic

Cats are *****.

• Advertisement

I don't see any seeing eye cats. I don't see cats helping herd sheep or cattle. And terriers are far better at catching vermin. They also don't destroy local bird populations which is a big problem with cats. "Birding" is not a good thing.

Well......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Have had Cats, Dogs, Pigeons, Chickens, Ducks and Fish.

Dogs are definitely more in tune with people, no doubt about it. If I got upset as a child it was our dog/dogs that actually responded to it. It doesn't mean I don't like having cats. They're just different, a friendly cat will still hang around you by choice, even when they're not looking for anything.

Ducks are the dirties, filthiest animals in existence. They're also very rapey. One of my ducks came on my hand. :(

Still love ducks, but they crap everywhere. People who keep ducks indoors are mental.

And terriers are far better at catching vermin.

I've owned cats who are great mousers and ratters and my friend has one that leaves dead mice and rats as offerings at his back door all the time (it's because they see humans as being bad hunters and feel sorry for us apparently!). Ziggy can fit down a rat hole in the back garden that a terrier wouldn't be able to.
    They also don't destroy local bird populations which is a big problem with cats. "Birding" is not a good thing.

Agreed but not all cats are interested in catching birds and a bell (I used two!) on a collar around the neck alert birds to the presence of a cat. I think that's the responsible thing to do if the cat is going to be outdoors and it takes an interest in killing birds.

kowloon wrote: »

Dogs are definitely more in tune with people, no doubt about it. If I got upset as a child it was our dog/dogs that actually responded to it. It doesn't mean I don't like having cats. They're just different, a friendly cat will still hang around you by choice, even when they're not looking for anything.

Ducks are the dirties, filthiest animals in existence. They're also very rapey. One of my ducks came on my hand. :(

Still love ducks, but they crap everywhere. People who keep ducks indoors are mental.

did he at least even text you after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

krudler wrote: »
    did he at least even text you after?

Not a call, not a text, nothing! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Look, cats are win. Name one other type of pet that has been scientifically shown to possess the powers of mind control :pac:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis#Behavioral_changes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

They also don't destroy local bird populations which is a big problem with cats. "Birding" is not a good thing.

It's what they do, just collateral.

Nobody complains when they kill mice or rats.

It's not like guard dogs for example can distinguish between a guy wearing a stripey jumper with swag written on a sack and a random drunk confused old man trying to climb a fence - they'll happily savage both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Why do you require loyalty?
    Cant you just enjoy the cat for itself, beautiful and funny little yokes they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

Have a gsd and a cat. Cats are for the lulz, they're personalties can vary a lot more than dogs imo, from aloof and selfish to really friendly and wanting to spend all their time with you (like my cat now). Dogs are more predictable, loyal to a fault and really rogueish. I wouldnt want not to have both tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

I don't think there is anything beautifull or funny about them. Sly little fcuks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You'd get more fake attention and love from a prostitute you paid for an hour

Cats don't like you, they probably can't even stand you

We took in a cat, it was a stray and was probably dumped by its owners. Was very weak and its sister who was with her died.
    Took it the vet, feed it well to gain some weight, got to sleep inside and had a whole farm to go hunting on so lots of room.
    And now it left us and shacked up with the neighbours, what a whore

Um.... well..played?
    kowloon wrote: »

Ya made me laugh! I read somewhere that mallards reproduce solely through gang rape. :pac: Fcuking hell!
    Ruralyoke wrote: »
    It's what they do, just collateral.

Nobody complains when they kill mice or rats.

It's not like guard dogs for example can distinguish between a guy wearing a stripey jumper with swag written on a sack and a random drunk confused old man trying to climb a fence - they'll happily savage both.

Sorry but that's not a great way to put things when we're talking about destroying local ecologies, these things have a knock on effect. A properly trained dog rarely savages anyone and it's only funny for a drunk to get nipped in the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

this is for all the cat lovers out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't think there is anything beautifull or funny about them. Sly little fcuks

You wouldn't dare say that to their faces, unless you wanted them to feast on your eyeballs when you were asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Cats hate me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Loyalty is overrated. Makes you march up and down streets in July, wearing bowler hats, waving Union flags and terrorising local residents.

That said, I prefer dogs to cats.

Cats hate me.

Don't feel bad, cats hate everyone

grindle wrote: »
    I have treated them well. I've been scratched and scrawled upon for the crime of giving them a lap that they chose to leap onto and make a bed of.

Maybe it just doesn't like you. Maybe it doesn't scratch to be mean. And you can train them out of undesirable behaviour like that. Just continually tell it a stern NO when that happens and put the cat down straight away and then ignore it. It should get the message after a while.
    They're prickly to get to know, and the reward isn't as abundant as it is with a dog.

They can take a bit more time and patience to gain their trust and confidence that's all. I find a cat's company who loves and trusts me very rewarding. But it depends what you mean by rewarding.
    Call it clever if you want, but if a human was being a stand-off-ish prick to you, and you felt under constant surveillance by them, I doubt you'd be thinking "Gosh, he's so clever and resourceful to boot!"
    You'd think "When the fuuck did I get married, and why?".

I don't see it as stand-offish, just independent or reserved. Kinda like me. Maybe that's why we get on well :) and "constant surveillance"? isn't that a bit... paranoid? :p their watchfulness is just part of their nature. They're not planning your downfall. Or at least most of them aren't anyway http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/funny-pictures-cat-watches-you.jpg
    As for the last point...
    Why would I want a tiger, whatever the size, in my house? I don't find tigers cute or cuddly either.

I like cats for other reasons than being cute or cuddly. They're calming -studies have shown they lower blood pressure and stress hormones in humans, they catch vermin, they're companions, they're interesting to study...

And you may not like them but there are people who keep tigers as pets also-though I don't think it's right to keep a fierce wild animal as a pet.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Don't feel bad, cats hate everyone

Fcukers, they couldn't even give me that much.

I get the feeling that people who hate cats and love dogs are a bit on the control-freak and needy side.
    Cats hate me.

That's because they can sense evil. :pac:

That's because they can sense evil. :pac:

They are only guessing. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

They're dumber than dogs, they don't have the brain power to be sneaky. As for them being evil, at least they don't maul small childrens faces.

Why do you require loyalty?
    Cant you just enjoy the cat for itself, beautiful and funny little yokes they are.

I agree. I don't get why so many people think it's such a positive or desirable trait in an animal. Are some dog owners so insecure and needy they want to have an animal around that shows them loyalty however you treat it? I think what people like that want is submissiveness and blind obedience, not loyalty.

I think a cat's independent nature is a more admirable quality than loyalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    They're dumber than dogs, they don't have the brain power to be sneaky.

A general disdain for playing fetch for any master doesnt make cats the dumb ones.

I prefer them to dogs, maybe related to having a cat as a pet first...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    They're dumber than dogs,

Depends on the breed and what you see as intelligence in an animal. Some dog breeds are dumb as a hammer. My friend has a Maine Coon cat-smartest breed of cat in the world (also the biggest domestic breed). Max opens doors and windows easily with his paws-the owner has to keep them both locked to stop him getting out.
    He follows him around like a dog (they're very dog like in some of their behaviour), he learns tricks very quickly and gets bored easily if he doesn't have lots of stimulation and toys to play with.
    He opens cupboard doors, obeys commands like stop, come, sit and if he sees something on TV that interests him he'll walk behind the TV to see where it is :)
    He's also very able to work things out and how to manipulate his owner to get what he wants!

Maine Coons are also very gentle giants and very loyal, affectionate and friendly for a cat. No meanness in them at all.
    So there's a cat breed that's smart, loyal and friendly for those who say cats can't be so!

darlett wrote: »
    A general disdain for playing fetch for any master doesnt make cats the dumb ones.

I prefer them to dogs, maybe related to having a cat as a pet first...?

Disdain isn't something cats understand. They're not smart enough. And they couldn't play fetch if they wanted to. It actually does make them dumb. They're not some kind of noble freedom force. They're just dickish, selfish and not that bright. It doesn't mean you shouldn't like them! It's silly the characteristics that cat lovers give to cats is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I love cats.
    They are great.
    You don't need to walk them.
    They generate amusing photographs.
    They play keyboards.
    If it fits, they sits.

That Maine Coon cat is impressive. They sound really interesting. Exception rather than the rule though? Pic for the curious.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YEAK5yZeyWU/TY9eWKCs9ZI/AAAAAAAABXM/EqDh-wkNh8s/s1600/main+coon.jpg

• Advertisement

They're not smart enough. And they couldn't play fetch if they wanted to..

The cat I had when I lived abroad could! I'd throw him a toy and he's retrieve it in his mouth and carry it back to me.
    My friend's Maine Coon can do the same. Cat's will choose to play with you only if they want to, not because they're told to. I like that.
    Dogs will do it for play too but also to get affection or treats. Cats can be smart, just a different kind of smart to dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Because...cats, what use are they??

Whoever invented cats, honestly!

That Maine Coon cat is impressive. They sound really interesting. Exception rather than the rule though? Pic for the curious.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YEAK5yZeyWU/TY9eWKCs9ZI/AAAAAAAABXM/EqDh-wkNh8s/s1600/main+coon.jpg

Yeah, they're HUGE! :) ok, found some pics. Here's a pic of Max with his owner-http://media-cache5.pinterest.com/upload/57772807690099885_Otg6ksfV_f.jpg
    The world record size for a cat is an MC -46 inches nose to tip of tail! Max is about 39" now. His paws are nearly twice normal size of a domestic moggie.
    And here's one I took (with my better camera!) when he was only about a year old-http://media-cache6.pinterest.com/upload/57772807690099881_ecsBdshq_f.jpg
    Not sure if I have any more of him full body on my laptop, I'll have a look but he's about 4 now and he's still growing!-they usually stop growing at about 4, unlike ordinary cats when it's about 12 months or so.

Edit-forgot to answer your question-no not the exception I think. Maine Coons are known to be smart, loyal, affectionate and playful as a breed. Max is a typical MC. They're said to be a cross between a cat, a dog, and a three year old :)

Dogs have masters, cats have servants

What cats think of you (warning-swearing):

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3eitkZ3V61qctv5qo1_500.jpg

:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement