Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do [some] fellas hate cats??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Shryke wrote: »
    Disdain isn't something cats understand. They're not smart enough. And they couldn't play fetch if they wanted to. It actually does make them dumb. They're not some kind of noble freedom force. They're just dickish, selfish and not that bright. It doesn't mean you shouldn't like them! It's silly the characteristics that cat lovers give to cats is all.

The bottom line is they dont want to play fetch, they dont dig that ****. If you show me a cat that wants to play fetch only to fail I'll entertain the idea that he's not smart enough. They have the intelligence to run after something and carry it back. But its no craic compared to going out and killing mice or birds and keeping things real. Which incidentally they do sometimes play fetch with by leaving as a thank you for their grateful owners :p ...ok its going a bit afterhoursie in here

EDIT: Just read Greentopias post, I stand corrected some cats do like to play the game, and it seems they succeed at it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Dogs are associated with males; cats for females though that theory hasn't stopped guys going to girls discos the past two decades otherwise they'd be gettn cats in another desperate attempt but Chav culture has caused the biggest change where even chicks prefer dogs now. hip hop which is young folks bread n butter the world over now is hand in hand with nasty mutt culture derived from la gang culture..

- Vulture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

It'd be worse if guys hated cake.

I mean what normal red blooded male hates cake? :eek: That would be a serious deal breaker in a relationship for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Cats don't play fetch - that's why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Jorcky

I'm a girl and I hate cats. Love cake though. Yum.
    plasmaguy wrote: »
    Because...cats, what use are they??

Whoever invented cats, honestly!

Also, if you died they would eat you.

Who the hell wants that?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

darlett wrote: »
    The bottom line is they dont want to play fetch, they dont dig that ****. If you show me a cat that wants to play fetch only to fail I'll entertain the idea that he's not smart enough. They have the intelligence to run after something and carry it back. But its no craic compared to going out and killing mice or birds and keeping things real. Which incidentally they do sometimes play fetch with by leaving as a thank you for their grateful owners :p ...ok its going a bit afterhoursie in here

EDIT: Just read Greentopias post, I stand corrected some cats do like to play the game, and it seems they succeed at it :)

The cats that are smart enough to play fetch have characteristics closer to a dogs though. It's great that they can be so too but then people are lauding the dimmer nature of cats in general that they're independent and have disdain. These people wouldn't like the Maine Coon Cat so much :(
    Otherwise it's a case of just saying cats are great because they look cute. :pac:
    Greentopia wrote: »
    Maine Coons are also very gentle giants and very loyal, affectionate and friendly for a cat. No meanness in them at all.
    So there's a cat breed that's smart, loyal and friendly for those who say cats can be so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

stoneill wrote: »
    Cats don't play fetch - that's why.

Yes they can, though not to the same degree as dogs granted. Read my post
    #99 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

FoxT wrote: »
    Dogs, I think, are more affectionate. However, they **** everywhere, and they do nothing useful.

Better protection for a house than an alarm, alert owners to danger, good hunters too, 3 rather useful things!

Cats are grand but dogs rule, end of! :D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

It's great that they can be so too but then people are lauding the dimmer nature of cats in general that they're independent and have disdain. These people wouldn't like the Maine Coon Cat so much :(

Well the MC is still a cat so it would be more independent natured than any dog, just not so much as a regular breed of cat generally speaking.
    They're lovable and playful but not lap cats for example. Not that you'd want a 20lb MC on your lap for long anyway :D

• Advertisement

Pushtrak wrote: »

My Oscar used to do that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Dogs are generally loyal, friendly, warm, energetic, happy.

Cats are usually the complete opposite and that's why I don't like them.

PrettyBoy wrote: »

Except the ones who are not (the opposite that is), and some cat breeds ARE friendly warm energetic and happy as I illustrated in my previous posts ;)

And has been spoken about already-loyalty is over-rated.

Is anyone else getting the less than subtle ads for whiskas in the this thread? How do cats do that? I dont know but they are clearly uber intelligent computer savvy creatures who never miss a chance to remind us of our responsibilities to them.

Excuse me for a moment, Im just going to feed mine before she disconnects me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

PrettyBoy wrote: »

and there are nasty, stupid, crappy dogs as well, its not like an entire species of animal share the same traits with each individual one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Dunno where people are getting this "cats aren't affectionate" nonsense.

I had a cat that would jump up on my lap and lie there purring and licking my hand.

Cats are amazingly affectionate to their owners when treated right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

That Maine Coon cat is impressive. They sound really interesting. Exception rather than the rule though? Pic for the curious.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YEAK5yZeyWU/TY9eWKCs9ZI/AAAAAAAABXM/EqDh-wkNh8s/s1600/main+coon.jpg

If I weren't sure it wasn't him, I would swear the one in the picture is the Maine Coon I have! He's identical!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

My boyfriend wouldn't be particularly fond of cats, he loves dogs though. But it seems our 3 cats can sense that he doesn't like them that much and spend ALL of their time following him around and getting under his feet and the minute he sits down they are on top of him looking for cuddles and pets.
    They do it to everyone who doesn't like cats that comes into the house, they must smell it off them or something. Pure evil and spiteful, but as I am a girl, I totally relate and just wish I was as good at it as they are:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Ya made me laugh! I read somewhere that mallards reproduce solely through gang rape. :pac: Fcuking hell!

Yeah, they're randy ones. One of mine will try it on with the chickens given half the chance. Nothing shows up quite like a set of mucky duckprints on a white hens back.

kowloon wrote: »
    Yeah, they're randy ones. One of mine will try it on with the chickens given half the chance. Nothing shows up quite like a set of mucky duckprints on a white hens back.

But those arent mucky duckprints ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

My boyfriend wouldn't be particularly fond of cats, he loves dogs though. But it seems our 3 cats can sense that he doesn't like them that much and spend ALL of their time following him around and getting under his feet and the minute he sits down they are on top of him looking for cuddles and pets.
    They do it to everyone who doesn't like cats that comes into the house, they must smell it off them or something. Pure evil and spiteful, but as I am a girl, I totally relate and just wish I was as good at it as they are:)

Most people who dislike cats tend to close their eyes when a cat approaches them, "longer than a blink" but!:D that is how cats greet each other, so they are drawn to the person who dislikes them.

If you glare at them, it's a threat.

I don't need an alarm clock since I got my cat, she wakes me at 8 every morning with a gentle paw on my eyelid, and when I don't react the other eyelid gets the pressure.

She finally gets fed up and gives me a tiny scratch on my nose, I'm used to it now and a dab of concealer hides the scratch.

She's nowhere near as bad as "Simon's Cat" tho.

You need to turn up the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

kowloon wrote: »
    Dogs are definitely more in tune with people, no doubt about it. If I got upset as a child it was our dog/dogs that actually responded to it. It doesn't mean I don't like having cats. They're just different, a friendly cat will still hang around you by choice, even when they're not looking for anything.

The last dog my parents had didn't like me smoking, and I don't just mean didn't like the smell of smoke.

I'd go outside, light up and the dog would just sit there, looking at me with this disapproving gleam in it's eye.

Judgmental bastard.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Domo230 wrote: »
    Cats are cute and can be very funny but they are essentially parasites. They don't give a sh*t about the owner and have no loyalty.

Big animal lover here btw....

Have to laugh at all the "no loyalty" comments here about cats.Humans are narcissistic eejits who expect and crave attention, even when we dont think we do. Dogs fuel that narcissism in bucketloads, cats dont. They're both fantastic species,each with amazing qualities. Dont expect instant love from a cat....you earn it and when you get it, its feckin brilliant, even if its for a brief 5 minutes. You shouldnt expect instant love from anything or anyone.

Dogs wear their heart on their sleeves, are easy to read,brilliant company and so much fun. Cats are hard to read (unless you take the time to know them) elegant,mysterious,independant and beautifully complex animals. I live with both a cat and a dog and the way the 2 interact is fantastic.I love both species equally tbh.

I spent 20 mins chattin with a lad (who is tough as nails) last weekend who rescued a one-eyed cat from the DSPCA that the wife got no say in, just because as soon as he opened the cage he popped out, sat on his shoulder and refused to budge. No messin....20 mins he waffled about him (few pints involved).

Fellas certainly dont "hate cats" :D I only wish this country took cat welfare even half as seriously as dog welfare (we're not even great at that tbh). As a nation of supposed animal lovers, we really, reeeeeally need to do more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Except the ones who are not (the opposite that is), and some cat breeds ARE friendly warm energetic and happy as I illustrated in my previous posts ;)

And has been spoken about already-loyalty is over-rated.
    I did say usually the opposite, I'm sure there are cats out there that aren't as lazy, cold and unfriendly as others.

Who says loyalty is overrated? Loyalty is one of, if not the best traits an animal (or human) can possess.
    krudler wrote: »
    and there are nasty, stupid, crappy dogs as well, its not like an entire species of animal share the same traits with each individual one.
    Just saying, most cats are generally not as fun, friendly, loyal, etc as most dogs. Hence the reason why this thread isn't talking about why guys hate dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

It's because cats don't like being stared at. It intimidates them. Proper catiquette (heh) is to watch them out of the corner of your eye. Often people who don't like cats don't gawp at them, so they aren't perceived as being threatening.

Edit: Bleh, I see Sniper Kitty got there first :pac:

daigo75 wrote: »
    If I weren't sure it wasn't him, I would swear the one in the picture is the Maine Coon I have! He's identical!

How wonderful :) some day I'm going to get a grey Maine Coon. I think greys are so beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Cats are class, Awesome animal's, One of natures real survivors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Hot Lips wrote: »
    Most people who dislike cats tend to close their eyes when a cat approaches them, "longer than a blink" but!:D that is how cats greet each other, so they are drawn to the person who dislikes them.

I do the slow eyes closed thing to the cat when she's good. She seems to understand the gesture and purrs back.

I think not keeping a constant stare proves to them that you trust them and they appreciate it.
    Both cats and dogs protect their bellies, so if either lets you rub their belly you're popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

anniehoo wrote: »

Have to laugh at all the "no loyalty" comments here about cats.Humans are narcissistic eejits who expect and crave attention, even when we dont think we do. Dogs fuel that narcissism in bucketloads, cats dont. They're both fantastic species,each with amazing qualities. Dont expect instant love from a cat....you earn it and when you get it, its feckin brilliant, even if its for a brief 5 minutes. You shouldnt expect instant love from anything or anyone.

Dogs wear their heart on their sleeves, are easy to read,brilliant company and so much fun. Cats are hard to read (unless you take the time to know them) elegant,mysterious,independant and beautifully complex animals. I live with both a cat and a dog and the way the 2 interact is fantastic.I love both species equally tbh.

I spent 20 mins chattin with a lad (who is tough as nails) last weekend who rescued a one-eyed cat from the DSPCA that the wife got no say in, just because as soon as he opened the cage he popped out, sat on his shoulder and refused to budge. No messin....20 mins he waffled about him (few pints involved).

Fellas certainly dont "hate cats" :D I only wish this country took cat welfare even half as seriously as dog welfare (we're not even great at that tbh). As a nation of supposed animal lovers, we really, reeeeeally need to do more.

Very well said. Post of the thread for me. Agree with it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Because they're vile and they stare endlessly. Always plotting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

We had a cat for nineteen years. Anyone who came into the house 'not a cat person' would leave the place madly in love with her.

She was ridiculous. She'd run up curtains and drop off dead crows at the doorstep. She chased every dog in the neighbourhood and would go missing for days on end, only to be found nestling under the immersion tank in the hot press, happy as a pig in sh1t.

When she was 11 my mother accidentally ran over her and she lost an eye. When she got back from the vet's, she hid behind the sofa, shaking, for about two months.

Then she assumed her place above the heated water tank in the laundry room. She loved her heat. She also loved her cuddles and she'd sit on my lap in the sitting room in front of the fire place for hours on end. She 'wasn't allowed' anywhere in the house except the kitchen but I swear to God that cat would seek me out, in my room, in the sitting room, where ever, if I was having a sh1tty time after a b@stard boyfriend broke my heart or a good friend let me down.

She was a bag of bones before she died, riddled with tumours and her kidneys started to fail, she stopped grooming herself but she got more and more affectionate and would jump on me when I came home from college for the weekend. Eventually she got too old and tired and gave up the ghost and I swear to God our hearts broke collectively as a family. Even my Dad got teary eyed and I've seen that man cry about twice in my life.

Cats are beautiful, giving creatures, they just don't suffer fools. They won't take bullsh1t and their love and respect is earned, unlike dogs who just give it unquestioning. I swear to God my cat had more of a heart than a lot of humans I know.

It still breaks my heart when I go home and there's an empty space above the water tank where her basket used to be. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

anniehoo wrote: »

Fellas certainly do hate cats. It's wankers you're thinking of, wankers dont hate cats. Cats are little more than big rats. Disease ridden fleabags that slink around the place miawing and spraying like the filthy contagions that they are. Send them all to Mrs. Waters. I can honestly say, without exaggeration, if my girlfriend got a cat I would dump her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I'm a lad and i love cats, i have one as a pet.

Cats are great animals once they are regularly wormed, treated for flees and neutered.

Cats can mind themselves, bury their own ****, keep themselves clean and keep mice vermin/away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ruralyoke wrote: »
    It's what they do, just collateral.

Nobody complains when they kill mice or rats.
    Predation of birds by cats is and has been a serious problem worldwide. They have had a serious impact on birds and other small animals populations. Nothing against cats personally. As you say it's what they do, but their collateral damage is most certainly an issue, that has at times led to local extinctions. No other pet has this environmental impact. It should be down to owners of course. Bells on the cats collar and the like, though I've read these may not be so effective. :confused:

Cats and dogs vary so much in personality. You really can't say dogs are this and cats are that. IMHO 9 times outa 10 it's the owners projection onto the animal that says dogs are X and cats are Y. Indeed for me that owners projection tells me more about them than the dog or cat involved. They tend to ascribe traits they have or wished they had.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I have a cat and to a certain extent I can understand their bad reputation. My cat is extremely loving and loyal and affectionate, however he is shy, suspicious and terrified of most people other than my partner and myself. He also has a particular dislike for men but that could be because he is envious (we got him spayed) or because he lives in a household with two women! ;) I really like cats but I can understand how they seem cold but I don't believe that they behave in the same way with their owners, cats show as much affection as they are shown, which makes sense. Most of my friends don't realise that he is affectionate or that he likes to curl up in bed with us most nights or he sits on my lap most evenings and purrs and rubs his little face against mine. He can be left alone for a couple of days, he doesn't **** in the house or need to be taken for a walk and he never smells because he grooms himself more than I do! I like dogs a lot but I'm quite happy with my cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Hate cats, probably because I'm allergic to them.

In my family we always had cats, the last one was a vicious piece of work who had random bouts of insanity and hated everyone except my brother.

Then we got a dog who lived with us for 11 years. Best pet I ever had.

Fellas certainly do hate cats. It's wankers you're thinking of, wankers dont hate cats. Cats are little more than big rats. Disease ridden fleabags that slink around the place miawing and spraying like the filthy contagions that they are. Send them all to Mrs. Waters. I can honestly say, without exaggeration, if my girlfriend got a cat I would dump her.

No, you're thinking of ignorant hard men. Ignorant hard men are ****.

You obviously don't know the first thing about cats.

Wibbs wrote: »
    IMHO 9 times outa 10 it's the owners projection onto the animal that says dogs are X and cats are Y. Indeed for me that owners projection tells me more about them than the dog or cat involved. They tend to ascribe traits they have or wished they had.

Well said. I think there's certainly truth in what you say, even when I think of myself and how I feel about cats and dogs.

About bird predation-quick release collars and two bells go a long way to prevent cats catching birds-by up to 40% according to the RSPB in the U.K.
    It's also a good idea to keep cats indoors at least an hour before sunset and an hour after sunrise (especially up until July when fledglings are about).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

I like cats, but I couldn't eat a whole one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Naomi00 wrote: »

I hope that's not real ice cream or that cat is going to have the sh!ts.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Cats really are awesome creatures and the Olympic Athletes are kittens compared to them and they make ideal pets too .Any cat can outrun any athlete .They see and hear much better also as well as survive anywhere .A LOT of a cat's time is spent Cleaning itself .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Stupify

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

No, you're thinking of ignorant hard men. Ignorant hard men are ****.

You obviously don't know the first thing about cats.

Ignorant hard men are wankers, especially ignorant hard men who would have a cat about the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Plus you don't get a guilt trip laid on you if you leave them alone for the day.

You don't get the huff from your cat when you eventually get home?:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

paddyandy wrote: »
    Cats really are awesome creatures and the Olympic Athletes are kittens compared to them and they make ideal pets too .Any cat can outrun any athlete .
    Maybe in very short bursts. Over 100 metres a human would take a domestic cat, a dog would do so easily. They're ambush/stalking predators for the most part, not endurance predators. Dogs are more the latter. Well dogs that are built like their wild ancestors. Though dogs will also ambush and stalk. I've seen my own dogs over the years attempt this, with varying success. My last guy was very "catlike" in this regard. He would sneak up on squirrels and the like and break cover at the very last moment. He regularly got and ate one. Funny he used to practice on birds, but never caught or ate one(even when he could have). After a while the local birds seemed to realise this and would just hop out of his way rather than flee in panic.

On the predator front, dogs and humans are among the tiny number of predators that will take down prey bigger than themselves and will even give it a go individually(though prefer the group approach). It would be very rare a cat would attempt this.

I would say though that cats are more suited to modern "western" style living of today. They're more a part time pet for our increasingly part time lives and lifestyles. Dogs require more work and input of the family unit, which is harder to do today than in the past.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs: I have no data on the long distance ability of the average domestic cat but i'll hazard a guess that they can outrun any Athlete .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

"playing" with the mouse they caught only to kill it later on when it gets bored
    What's that about?

If a soldier did that they would be outrage

Nature's scumbags

You caught it, just kill it already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭robot7080

my cat is a minger... i'd actually say he dirtier than the rats, mice and birds he leaves us as presents. Thank fook I don't have the clean them up

• Advertisement

The Cats superiority folds peoples conceited opinions of themselves very nicely and so they hate them in return .

Advertisement