Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do [some] fellas hate cats??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Theres a bunch of stray cats and dogs behind my shed laughing their asses off at this "stupid human" thread.
    None of them are getting up for work in the morning.
    They don't care what you get up to with your private parts.
    They don't care if you're evil or even broke.

They're all pissed off with the wet weather though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Because they're always damp with the tears of a discarded woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Fellashiating a cat is just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

mr kr0nik wrote: »
    [
    Hang on their chief. I have a back garden full of cat sh1t at the moment. So that statement isn't exactly true.

If they have access to a litter tray they will use it. You're probably dealing with strays there.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    If they have access to a litter tray they will use it. You're probably dealing with strays there.

Nope sorry, neighbours both sides of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Go on Reddit, you'll soon realise it's definetly not the case..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Cats are awesome and they can be super friendly and loyal too. Just unlike dogs who will roll over if you throw them a bone, you need to gain the cat's trust and loyalty first. Cats are very independent creatures, they've always been in the wild as they're solitary animals. Dogs are pack animals and depend on their "leader" to survive. When you adapt a dog, you become its "leader" and the dog will become totally dependent on you which is why it shows you all the affection and loyalty because without it the dog wouldn't survive. Cats on the other hand don't need a human to survive. They just chose to stay with the human if you give them a nice, comfortable place to live, if not they can do fine on their own chasing mice and birds.

Watch how this guy's cat changed his life:

"Despite his new found fame James continues to work on the street playing music..."
    Didnt really change his life then did it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Because cats are better groomed, cleaner and more mannerly than many men, thus attracting jealousy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Because cats are better groomed, cleaner and more mannerly than many men, thus attracting jealousy?

We're not flexible enough to be able to lick our own rear end and bits. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

dmcronin wrote: »

Speak for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I like cats, some fellas don't, but whichever side you come down on Terry Pratchett has some thoughts on the thread topic that may be of use;

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this."

"Cats are nasty, cruel bastards but that's because they are cats. As far as we know, they have no grasp of the concept of not being nasty cruel bastards. Humans, on the other hand, do."

""I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worth while?" Death thought about it "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.""

"If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they actually are. Style. That's what people remember."

So, there you go OP. I trust this post adequately addresses all of your ongoing concerns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

dmcronin wrote: »

you are flexible enough to clean them once in a while though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    you are flexible enough to clean them once in a while though!

Maybe with a facecloth. Not licking at any rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

I like cats and am indeed a cat owner.

The only reason that I could imagine people not liking cats is their independence. Everything is kind of on their terms, which might be hard for some sensitive people to accept I suppose. Dogs are great in that they reciprocate the love you give them. You could spend an hour pampering a cat and with no notice it could make it very clear it wanted to be left alone.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Cats are not bothered by anything but we are and that makes us a little bit resentful ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I love all animals but cats are the business. I've 3 here all ex ferals who adore me and love cuddling up beside me:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I love cats. They still hold a distinct wildness about them as they can hunt prey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Ah I don't know about categorizing but when dating its always a good way to suss out who to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I wouldn't mind getting a cat, like a semi feral one to keep mice away but I know the dog would kill it so it's obviously a no no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I wouldn't mind getting a cat, like a semi feral one to keep mice away but I know the dog would kill it so it's obviously a no no.

What kind of dog do you have?

If you want something to keep the mice away or kill the ones that show up and your present dog's a cat killer maybe get a Jack Russel or a Rat Terrier? As good as cats (better by some peoples reckoning, but that's up for debate) at controlling vermin, it's what the breeds were developed for in a large part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

strobe wrote: »

If you want something to keep the mice away or kill the ones that show up and your present dog's a cat killer maybe get a Jack Russel or a Rat Terrier? As good as cats (better by some peoples reckoning, but that's up for debate) at controlling vermin, it's what the breeds were developed for in a large part.
    Lab x springer x who knows.
    The dog will catch mice but more often than not she's too clumsy & they are too fast.
    Cats are nimble & stealth like. Perfect for hunting.
    And I don't think I could get a smaller dog than her, she can be a bit of a bully to smaller dogs. I think she sees them as something to chase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

strobe wrote: »

Certainly where rats are concerned, amazing at ratting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There is one poster on Boards that I know that has eight cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

because they're horrible spiteful feckers who think they own the whole place

/fucking cats :mad:

*grumble grumble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Im a fella and I love cats. I like them because they're quiet and independent. They're soft and lazy and make an adorable lap object to snuggle with.

I find the fact that some people make a big song and dance over how much they hate cats and must try to point out every single flaw with them in comparison with a dog just to spite people who like them a bit bloody pathetic. Its not like its a competition or anything.

I once mentioned liked cats in a discussion and some lad just burst in and said to me "OMG HOW CAN U LIEK CATS DO U KNO DEY EAT U WEN U DIE DOGS R TEH BEST AND LOYAL". What in the name of jaysus do you want me to say to that completely irrelevant moot point? "ok i agree, i now hate cats, thanks you for saving me." This lad seemed genuinely annoyed that I liked them.
    I just said "alright" and ended the convo with him.

I should also mention I absolutely love dogs too. Preferably I would love to own both (I have neither).

Anyway, I guess what Im trying to say is to stop nitpicking at such minor things in life and just accept that people like different things to you. Its really not that big of a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

I want a cheetah. all cats will eat their "owners" if locked in a room with them, but not many animals (carnivores) would not, except dogs, who are as loyal as a dog (nuff said).

The cats we call pets today do very little for evolutionary theory, lazy feckless scavengers, and anyone who loves their cat should check out how they look when they have no human feeding them, ie the strays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I want a cheetah. all cats will eat their "owners" if locked in a room with them, but not many animals (carnivores) would not, except dogs, who are as loyal as a dog (nuff said).

The cats we call pets today do very little for evolutionary theory, lazy feckless scavengers, and anyone who loves their cat should check out how they look when they have no human feeding them, ie the strays.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/07/us-indonesia-dogs-idUSTRE78640W20110907

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2135664/Starving-dogs-eat-animal-hoarders-corpse-Ohio.html

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/weird-wide-web/canada-dogs-ate-owners-shelties-saskatchewan

Seriously, this argument has been disproven that many times, I can't believe there are still people out there believing this nonsense.

Also, 3 of our cats were strays we adopted. And guess what, we still love them, that's why we adopted them in the first place.
    Do you think a starving dog is a much better sight than a starving cat, or what kind of a point were you trying to make there? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

don't forget that woman who had the first face transplant. Her golden lab ate her face while she was unconscious. Cats are fussier than that...

paddyandy wrote: »
    Cats are not bothered by anything but we are and that makes us a little bit resentful ?

Stuff one in a bag and drop it off a bridge and see how "not bothered" it remains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Along with "Ireland is sh1t" whinges, going into great detail about how much one hates cats and what punishment they deserve is a "cool" thing to say among some internet frequenters.

You can't know what cats are like if you don't have one anyway. They most certainly ARE affectionate. They just take longer to establish trust - and nothing wrong with that, seeing as some humans are intent on harming them. An angry cat is capable of far less damage than an angry dog too.

Yes, they're independent (and a lot easier to take care of than a dog) and selfish (so what though?) but these traits and affectionate/loving/trusting are not mutually exclusive. A warm, purring cat snuggling up to your leg is awesome! When a cat gets settled in a household where it's reasonably looked after (enough food, an adequate shelter, and even just a bit of human contact = plenty) it won't just wander off to a better house permanently. It might visit other houses :pac: but it will always return to the auld sod.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

Dudess wrote: »
    ...going into great detail about how much one hate cats and what punishment they deserve is a "cool" thing to say among some internet frequenters.

...and assuming nearly all are male, maybe not proves, but certainly at least illustrates my point as the OP.

:p;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I like some cats and some dogs. Firstly, you shouldn't have to choose between cats and dogs. Secondly, some cats are dicks and some dogs are dicks. I like the nice cats and the nice dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

all cats will eat their "owners" if locked in a room with them, but not many animals (carnivores) would not, except dogs, who are as loyal as a dog (nuff said)

Shenshen has already posted up cases of dogs eating their dead owners.

Also, you must not like humans either, have a read about Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 and see what humans, faced with starvation and being trapped will do.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

People are jealous of Cats .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Stuff one in a bag and drop it off a bridge and see how "not bothered" it remains

I assume your referring to a domestic cat, & not one of its larger cousins that you'd have a sh1te attack if it came anywhere near you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Ignorant hard men are wankers, especially ignorant hard men who would have a cat about the place

At least you have some self-awareness then.

EnterNow wrote: »
    I assume your referring to a domestic cat, & not one of its larger cousins that you'd have a sh1te attack if it came anywhere near you?

Very astute assumption. I wouldn't dare mess with one of those lions or pumas you see roaming about the place.

Greentopia wrote: »
    At least you have some self-awareness then.

Good one. I'm reeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I have a strong dislike for them, don't really know why.

They strike me as being very sneaky and ungrateful, like they wouldn't give two ****s about what happened to their owners?

Much prefer dogs, loyal friends for life!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Very astute assumption. I wouldn't dare mess with one of those lions or pumas you see roaming about the place.

Ah, thought so. Wouldn't do much for a hard man image having an arm torn off really.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

I hate them because of the way they have doors and wheels. And whats with the way the wipers clean the windscreen its so f***ing annoying. I hate the noise of them and the poisonous fumes from the engine.

EDIT: Scrap everything I said above. Mis-read the thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I don't get the whole 'a cat will eat you when you are dead' bollocks. I don't give a **** - eat away - I'm dead.

I recommend the rump steak (it's on special today).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

personally I just cant take to pussy ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I had an ex who used to never shut the hell up about her cat, and even used to put the cat on the phone to me. The same cat used to scratch and claw at my feet when I was riding its owner.

I hate cats.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ah, thought so. Wouldn't do much for a hard man image having an arm torn off really.

If nothing else I think it would enhance it.

http://www.gamingnexus.com/Images/News/hcyujq21866/3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Funglegunk wrote: »
    I had an ex who used to never shut the hell up about her cat, and even used to put the cat on the phone to me. The same cat used to scratch and claw at my feet when I was riding its owner.

I hate cats.

the hint that it was time to either have her committed or just leave was when she put the cat on the phone? What did you discuss the stats on how many cats prefer Whiskas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Funglegunk wrote: »

I hate cats.
    The problem there was your ex, not the cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I prefer dogs, even though I used to be terrified of them.

Don't mind cats, and if in a mates house who has a cat, I get on well with it.

If a dog doesn't like you, it shall let you know. If a cat doesn't like you, you won't see it.

Oh, and if the kitteh gets treated better elsewhere, the kitteh shall adopt other hoomans. If your cat ever goes missing, check your neighbours, and you'll probably find that the old lady down the street has been feeding it "the good stuff" so the kitteh adopted the old lady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

I miss my cat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Ruralyoke wrote: »
    C'mon, they do, generally.

Yeah a few don't but broadly speaking they tend to fall into the following categories:

1) gay

2) hippy

3) mad animal lover - has about 29 pets anyway

4) megalomaniac who lives in hollowed out mountain

It's not merely that they don't like them, but see them as disgusting or evil or some other mad reaction.

What's the bloody story then??
    Them fellas are dogs, that's why!

• Advertisement
Advertisement