Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do [some] fellas hate cats??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭corpo3030

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Cats are superior to dogs.

Left to its own devices a dog will starve to death.
    Left to its own devices, a cat will do just fine without you.

I love them for their independence and perceived honesty. A cat is self centered, and there is no bull**** about them.

Dogs behave like OCD stalkers. I hate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I don't get the whole 'a cat will eat you when you are dead' bollocks. I don't give a **** - eat away - I'm dead.

I recommend the rump steak (it's on special today).

Exactly. I live alone. Currently no feline friends right now but as soon as my circumstances will allow I'll have more cats, 2 at least.

Now I think the whole "cats eating dead owners" is ridiculously over-exaggerated anyway and only happens in very rare circumstances, but when I get my cats if I was to say drop dead of a heart attack at home and nobody found me for days, maybe weeks (it happens) why would I have a problem with Fluffy using my carcass for food when the poor creature had nothing else left to eat and faces a slow death by starvation?
    Why would that be a preferable outcome for a beloved pet than to sustain itself on my dead body? I am after all, you know...dead!

A cat's survival instinct will kick in and as an obligate carnivore it will naturally eat whatever meat is available rather than starve to death.

A dog in that situation as an omnivore will likely eat whatever grains, fruit vegetables it can scavenge first, but if it ran out of those it's survival instinct will also kick in and may resort to chowing down on it's master too.
    Although as dogs see their human as being the pack leader they may hesitate more before doing so, but sources already given here have shown instances of dogs resorting to it too.

But yet some people uniquely demonise cats and think of them as distinctly horrible creatures for doing so while ignoring the fact that dogs do it too :confused:

Seems perfectly understandable and practical to me for cats being one of nature's great hunter's and survivors to use our flesh to continue live, as a last resort.

I don't think there's anything 'sacred' or inviolable about a human being's dead body and if it can be used to do some good or serve a purpose rather than being just worm food all the better. If I thought there was I wouldn't carry a donor card! when I'm dead I'm dead, nothing more than rotting meat and bone so why would I worry what happens to me then?

These people who think badly of cats for this reason simply don't understand the nature of animals and unfairly anthropomorphise them. Animals don't share our modern cultural taboo of cannibalism, and it's wrong of us to expect them to observe human moral or ethical concerns.

And has been seen in the film 'Alive' human beings are not immune to eating each other to survive either when no other food is available and the choice is that or die. Modern civilisation is only a very thin veneer overlaid onto human society. Given the right circumstances if no other food is available we're also mammals that will fight to survive by whatever means possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Dudess wrote: »
    The problem there was your ex, not the cat.

A realisation I came to soon afterwards. Still hate cats though.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

I like cats. Not a super animal lover or anything. We have a dog at home but cats are funny. Don't know what the OP is really talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Greentopia wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything 'sacred' or inviolable about a human being's dead body and if it can be used to do some good or serve a purpose rather than being just worm food all the better.

People probably imagine viewing the act of the critter eating their dead body and feel emotional about it.

Look at me lying there dead *sniff*

bloody cat eating my corpse *sob*

damn those bloody cats - have they no RESPECT FOR THE DEAD *bawls*

XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

Don't know what the OP is really talking about.

Have a look through the thread. Plenty of negative comments - at a rough guess, 70% plus are from men.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I like cats, just like people some of them are dickheads and some of them are sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Ruralyoke wrote: »
    Have a look through the thread. Plenty of negative comments - at a rough guess, 70% plus are from men.
    This forum has far more men than women, so by default any thread will probably have around that ratio of men to women. Just something to consider.

Edit: To back up my assertion http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=249022

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

To the OP; imagine an animal that is made up of all the worst bits of humans- lazy, selfish, careless, ignorant etc. etc. then you shall have a single cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

They don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

People probably imagine viewing the act of the critter eating their dead body and feel emotional about it.

Look at me lying there dead *sniff*

bloody cat eating my corpse *sob*

damn those bloody cats - have they no RESPECT FOR THE DEAD *bawls*

XD

It's a metaphor for, like... life, man.

Cats are dicks. Dogs are dumb, but loyal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Ah cats are great! Plus if you get an energetic curious one you can make money on youtube! Simples :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    To the OP; imagine an animal that is made up of all the worst bits of humans- lazy, selfish, careless, ignorant etc. etc. then you shall have a single cat.

They can actually be quite active, my two hunt during the day and only come in to lounge around the house at night.

They're not selfish, they hunt for their young and take care of their elderly and invalid, this is especially seen with packs of ferals.

I don't think they're careless either, a cat is meticulous in certain aspects of its life especially seen when they hunt, they're prepared to wait for hours to make the perfect kill.

And finally to say that they're ignorant is just plain ridiculous, they're intelligent beings who are very receptive to learning and can be taught a vast amount aside from their natural instinct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Our cat at home often brought home its kills to us after being out hunting. Just wanting to provide for the family. At least thats how I like to look at it. Of course she old now and all she does is sleep. But if you start petting her you better get ready for a lot of affection. To say cats don't love their owners is a bit silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I hate cats with a passion. I used to torture kittens when I was a child. Hilarious.

Eggy Baby! wrote: »

Well, clearly some of us are :pac::rolleyes:

Hate those ignorant cats; whereas some of the more intelligent breeds of dogs have been known to recite Shakespeare Sonnets in their leisure and several Dobermann's are working hard on a ToE that will finally unify general relativity and quantum mechanics. Yay!

dogz rool, catz drool u guyz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Because theyre so cold and they dont show me the respect that i need out of an animal. You can at least pretend a dog is listening to your complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

Pushtrak wrote: »
    This forum has far more men than women...

OK, but by that token, you would think then that far more men would be on arguing otherwise, but apart from a token few that hasn't really been the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Honestly, the thread would need a poll to really say anything. Too much effort to go through the thread to see how many people voted what way. And then guessing the gender for people with neutral names/no avatars, et cetera.

They're not selfish, they hunt for their young and take care of their elderly and invalid, this is especially seen with packs of ferals.

Female cats (even spayed ones) will often care for other females kittens from a different litter too and will share food with them.

There's a number of feral cats where I live and I know most of them have been spayed now by some kindly cat lovers, and I see the females hunting together and sharing the food with all their young.

My friend has two cats and one of them hunts mice and rats and sometimes will leave offerings on his door step for his owner.
    They're absolutely not selfish animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FullRetard

horrible animals,too much like people,only come to you when they want something!

Because theyre so cold and they dont show me the respect that i need out of an animal. You can at least pretend a dog is listening to your complaints.

You need respect? why? and cats can be very friendly if they're treated right. What you term cold is just their independent nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I don't like cats, mainly because they are useless. No love, no emotion, no feedback, just demanding little food bags. When I see one squashed on the road, my first thoughts are that I hope I don't get it stuck in the thread of my tyres. Then I think some poor child might be missing her pet, which is a bit sad. Better off that there were no cats in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Dudess wrote: »
    Along with "Ireland is sh1t" whinges, going into great detail about how much one hates cats and what punishment they deserve is a "cool" thing to say among some internet frequenters.

You can't know what cats are like if you don't have one anyway. They most certainly ARE affectionate. They just take longer to establish trust - and nothing wrong with that, seeing as some humans are intent on harming them. An angry cat is capable of far less damage than an angry dog too.

Yes, they're independent (and a lot easier to take care of than a dog) and selfish (so what though?) but these traits and affectionate/loving/trusting are not mutually exclusive. A warm, purring cat snuggling up to your leg is awesome! When a cat gets settled in a household where it's reasonably looked after (enough food, an adequate shelter, and even just a bit of human contact = plenty) it won't just wander off to a better house permanently. It might visit other houses :pac: but it will always return to the auld sod.

Then you get the other side, dogs are useless. Great protectors of property, alerting at danger, sure the police use them to detect drugs and blind people to help them get on with life!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Cats are bastards. All of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

My boyfriend has 7 cats and he doesn't fall into any of the categories in the OP. He rescues strays which is kinda cute.:) I would have always been a dog person and was always indifferent to cats. But his cats are great. They are so low maintenance compared to dogs. They don't need to be walked, are really clean, don't bark the house down and are actually surprisingly affectionate. I still love dogs though.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Varied wrote: »
    Dunno where people are getting this "cats aren't affectionate" nonsense.

I had a cat that would jump up on my lap and lie there purring and licking my hand.

Cats are amazingly affectionate to their owners when treated right.
    Yeah I had a cat like that. He would jump up on my bed, cuddle into me and go to sleep every morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

They can actually be quite active, my two hunt during the day and only come in to lounge around the house at night.

I don't think they're careless either, a cat is meticulous in certain aspects of its life especially seen when they hunt, they're prepared to wait for hours to make the perfect kill.

And finally to say that they're ignorant is just plain ridiculous, they're intelligent beings who are very receptive to learning and can be taught a vast amount aside from their natural instinct.

Get out of here with your logic and reason and well-structured arguments!

Dogs 4 life yo

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭JyesusChrist

Service dogs /thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

longshanks wrote: »
    Cats are bastards. All of them.

Did your wife leave you for a cat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Personally, I like cats. It's the independence thing. I like dogs too, but they are needy feckers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭shaunandelly

Coz they eat birds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Coz they eat birds.

What, you never eat chicken so?

Comments like this always make me think that it actually says quite a lot about people... Some want companions, some want servants.

While i love both cats and dogs, I've learned to be very wary of people who only like dogs, and hate cats...

Service dogs /thread

Undercover police cats /thread.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

When i had a serious problem i looked with envy at my cat and she was'nt the least concerned .Total indifference .Like the Mannequins in Grafton street shop windows .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

shenshen

"Comments like this always make me think that it actually says quite a lot about people... Some want companions, some want servants.

While i love both cats and dogs, I've learned to be very wary of people who only like dogs, and hate cats...[/Quote]

I quoted this just to thank it again.
    100% agree with you.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Comments like this always make me think that it actually says quite a lot about people... Some want companions, some want servants.

While i love both cats and dogs, I've learned to be very wary of people who only like dogs, and hate cats...

+1

I find it a good filtering mechanism though-especially with men. I know that any guy that states that he hate cats and only wants a dog for the wrong reasons is not the kind of guy I want in my life.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

They certainly seem capable of affection .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

paddyandy wrote: »
    When i had a serious problem i looked with envy at my cat and she was'nt the least concerned .Total indifference .Like the Mannequins in Grafton street shop windows .

Your dog doesn't give a sh*t either. That head half-cocked to one side isn't expressing concern/sympathy/love, it's bewilderment as to why the human isn't giving him food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭shaunandelly

Shenshen wrote: »
    What, you never eat chicken so?

Birds.......geddit?......No?

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Because I have bird feeders in my garden. And there's constantly cats trying to catch them

My fella liked cats until we adopted these two from the rescue, he brought them in and allowed them to sleep on his bed and stuff, one of them got sick and died, the other is now a little menace. I call him Hasselhoff cause he's always hassling us, standing on the laptop when you're trying to use it and meowing at all hours of the morning. He pretends to hate the cat... "I got it for my girlfriend" but I know he adores it.

I think it's just not seen as manly to like cats.

The cat just found out that I have two budgies..... now my fella really does not like the budgies, Marky is my ten year old bird and he's really noisy and annoying. So, if the cat does manage to get to the birds, fella will love him, I will be quite (nay, very) upset, but obviously wont blame the cat.

My fella liked cats until we adopted these two from the rescue, he brought them in and allowed them to sleep on his bed and stuff, one of them got sick and died, the other is now a little menace. I call him Hasselhoff cause he's always hassling us, standing on the laptop when you're trying to use it and meowing at all hours of the morning. He pretends to hate the cat... "I got it for my girlfriend" but I know he adores it.

I think it's just not seen as manly to like cats.

Thats a good point really, I think theres a perception out there that cats are a girl pet and dogs are for the macho men. I know I get slaggings from my mates for keeping them. For me though its a life long thing my parents kept them in my youth and I've continued the trend, theres never been a time in my life where I haven't had a cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Christ what an utterly retarded thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 tis a fine line

Men can't comprehend independence... if a woman/cat/dog is not dependent on a man then there must be something wrong with that woman/cat/man... Fact is: men see the independence & confidence of a cat and fear it being reconstructed within the woman... therefore the cat is the epitome of all the man's fear: Independence!!!!

I love Cats!!!

xxxxx peace out mofo!!!

Christ what an utterly retarded thread.

Why waste your time posting so? If you don't dig the subject matter stay out of it you clown..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Why waste your time posting so? If you don't dig the subject matter stay out of it you clown..

Another internerd tough guy.

Advertisement