Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do [some] fellas hate cats??

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

People only like dogs because you can treat them like **** and they'll still love you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

al28283 wrote: »
    People only like dogs because you can treat them like **** and they'll still love you

Oddly enough, that seems to be the argument many on the dogs-only side are making here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Aidric wrote: »
    They smell and leave hairs everywhere. Reason enough.

So do hippys :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Another internerd tough guy.

You sure showed him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

There's something curiously insecure about a person who has to justify liking a particular type of pet by saying how much more independent it is and how they totally don't need it around to offer company. Because they're independent too, in case you didn't know.

I don't dislike cats but I do dislike the (insufferably obnoxious) majority of cat owners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

OP - why exclude women from your list? Because some do like pussy you know and some don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Men can't comprehend independence... if a woman/cat/dog is not dependent on a man then there must be something wrong with that woman/cat/man... Fact is: men see the independence & confidence of a cat and fear it being reconstructed within the woman... therefore the cat is the epitome of all the man's fear: Independence!!!!

I love Cats!!!

xxxxx peace out mofo!!!

I take it you have links to this amazing research Doctor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I don't hate cats. I love Garfield and Top Cat!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭polly78

Zaph wrote: »
    A dog will instantly let you know it's happy to see you when you come home. Cats, on the other hand, couldn't give a crap whether you're there or not and will show contempt rather than affection. Evil bastids they are, and I'll siteban anyone who disagrees with me. :cool:

Can we read this as "If I have a pet I want it on my driveway/doorstep with its tongue hanging out in anticipation of my arrival"?.....

If yes, then...

A dog is the pet for you, a cat wouldn't have the time of day for that kind of mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

twinQuins wrote: »
    There's something curiously insecure about a person who has to justify liking a particular type of pet by saying how much more independent it is and how they totally don't need it around to offer company. Because they're independent too, in case you didn't know.

I don't dislike cats but I do dislike the (insufferably obnoxious) majority of cat owners.
    Huh? Maybe they just like how cats are lower maintenance and it's easier when they're out of the house all day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭polly78

If all the people against cats were handed a kitten tomorrow to keep for 6 months, they would blatantly see the difference in a cat and a dog, and change their posts.

I have had a maltese and a westie and IME a dog will pee and sh*t wherever and whenever it feels like it despite it being trained.

I love dogs too but they do stink and leave a stink on chairs, sofa, bed etc, ugh; I detest dog dirt and owners who allow their dogs to go on a public area with no bag or scoop to lift it.

Dog hair stinks no matter how clean it's kept. Cats never smell, they are meticulous about grooming....a sight dog owners will never witness.

For a house pet, cats are the winners. I have family with dogs, clean, treated like babies but their house stinks of dog (these people are pinickity about hygiene too), they have no idea cos they're so used to it.
    Pick up a house cat and smell it. (if it will let you)

I dare a now cat hater to take on a kitten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

Christ what an utterly retarded thread.

Whereas your contributions are generally so deep and insightful and never have the faintest whiff of skangerishness to them :rolleyes:

Male macho cat hater perchance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Ruralyoke wrote: »
    Whereas your contributions are generally so deep and insightful and never have the faintest whiff of skangerishness to them :rolleyes:

Burn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Men can't comprehend independence... if a woman/cat/dog is not dependent on a man then there must be something wrong with that woman/cat/man... Fact is: men see the independence & confidence of a cat and fear it being reconstructed within the woman... therefore the cat is the epitome of all the man's fear: Independence!!!!

I love Cats!!!

xxxxx peace out mofo!!!

Ah, the deeply mentally-challenged post that, while making a huge generalisation, is really masking a deep bitterness and anger-wrapped-up-in-cod-philosophy. And all ended with 'peace out mofo' and mutliple 'x's and exclamation marks. It's enough to make you weep for the internet.

Ruralyoke wrote: »

No I think he likes cats. I agree though, "This thread is retarded" and then no elaboration is a wee bit teenaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

OK, one thing I do NOT like about my cat, though it is kinda sweet. :o

When he starts licking my hand carefully, "grooming" me, looking up at me lovingly. I don't like having kitty germs all over my hands. :o

I dislike dogs who lick too.

Bleurgh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Sea Filly wrote: »
    OK, one thing I do NOT like about my cat, though it is kinda sweet. :o

When he starts licking my hand carefully, "grooming" me, looking up at me lovingly. I don't like having kitty germs all over my hands. :o

I dislike dogs who lick too.

Bleurgh!

Cats' mouths and tongues are actually the cleanest part of the animal (that's probably not true).

I used to love the feeling of cat's tongue when they'd lick my hands. Weird and slightly disturbing, which is how I like my animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Cats are funny.

Most people I know who hate them pretend to be allergic to them to hide the fact that they have a halflings soul.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I love it when cats come around. I got my last one with a .22, and a 12 gauge before that. Most people I know wish cats would either be kept in by their owners, or just wouldnt come around their yard. I'm the opposite, I love it when cats come round the place:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

My last orange cat did not like me much, it was mutual, I drove over him in a 4x4....., pick your enemies wisely .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^You evil man!

Why is cruelty towards cats somehow acceptible while if I say "I love kicking dogs in the face when they run up to hump your leg", everyone will go into a fit of rage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

for those of you that have cats.. ever wonder what they get upto when your not about?

Why is cruelty towards cats somehow acceptible
    Because it's "cool" and makes you look like "tha maaaaaan" on the internet. It's no doubt lies also.

I love the whole "cats are clean" thing. I've never gone into a house with a cat and not known instantly from the smell. Sometimes I can tell if there's a dog, but not always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I love the whole "cats are clean" thing. I've never gone into a house with a cat and not known instantly from the smell. Sometimes I can tell if there's a dog, but not always.

it depends on the cat.

houses with males cats are noticebly smelly unless you get them spayed cos unspayed cats mark their territory alot.

Never ever have I gotten a cat smell in a house, unless the cat is allowed piss/spray indoors. But a cat scent just hanging around the animal at all times - never known of it, unlike manky, oily dog stink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Come On. Most guys love Pussy :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Cats are pretty much snakes with hair and limbs, UCH!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

guitarzero wrote: »
    Cats are pretty much snakes with hair and limbs, UCH!!!!

But they're also cute and furry and have adorable triangular ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

A total myth that it's only guys who hate cats, i know just as many women who despise them. It's not hard to see why. They are very conniving creatures who love to manipulate their owners. They will constantly look for love and affection but give very little of it back in return, the opposite of dogs. They will mostly come near only when they want food. They are very selfish and obnoxious creatures. They don't have anywhere near as much love to give as their canine counter-parts. All they are good for is catching rats and mice.

grenache wrote: »
    They are very conniving creatures who love to manipulate their owners. They will constantly look for love and affection but give very little of it back in return, the opposite of dogs. They will mostly come near only when they want food. They are very selfish and obnoxious creatures. They don't have anywhere near as much love to give as their canine counter-parts. All they are good for is catching rats and mice.

This is pure nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I got my first cat at the age of 12, she was feral and never quite came round completely, every so often though she will hop up on your lap for cuddles and those are great days, she is 9 now.

My second cat will be 2 in September, I found her at the side of the road when she was four weeks, I hand reared her and took her everywhere with me for three weeks, she is like a child, she will come up the stairs in the morning and jump on the bed and will either play with your feet or lick your nose to wake you up, if you call her she will come running and all you have to do is look at her to get the happiest, loudest purrs you ever heard. She has two luxiating patellas (knee cap slipping in and out of place) and so will need ops at some point, they are not cheap either, people think I am mad for paying such money for a cat but it's a small price to pay cause she is just awesome.

I also have a dog who I absolutely love to bits, he is just fab. wouldn't give him up for the world, he is loyal, hilarious, challenging and outrageously clever although you would never think it as he looks and acts like a dope, he is a Boxer, oh and he can give Hi fives and never misses!

Anyway I don't consider myself a dog person or a cat person I consider myself both, anyone who hates cats is seriously missing out though.

This is pure nonsense
    That's my logical conclusion from my experience of living in houses with both cats and dogs. So if it is nonsense i must have invented or dreamt it up.

• Advertisement

That's my logical conclusion from my experience of living in houses with both cats and dogs. So if it is nonsense i must have invented or dreamt it up.

If you find cats only come near for food it means you generally don't treat them very well and they are smart enough to stay away from you, you can treat a dog quite badly and it'll still love you

Well either you haven't made the effort to gain their affection or they just don't like you for some reason.

If you find cats only come near for food it means you generally don't treat them very well and they are smart enough to stay away from you, you can treat a dog quite badly and it'll still love you
    my cats were treated very well i'll have you know. They slept with me many nights. But they didn't like cuddles and were only interested when i had food or something to their advantage. I had 3 or 4 different sets between my parents house and living in my own accomodation. I found nearly all of them cold and manipulating. Anyone who thinks a cat is a better companion than a dog is evidently wrong.

Anyone who thinks a cat is a better companion than a dog is evidently wrong.

No, that is just your opinion, there is a difference

Well either you haven't made the effort to gain their affection or they just don't like you for some reason.

i did. But they are cats. They are not naturally warm creatures.

• Advertisement

i did. But they are cats. They are not naturally warm creatures.

I know they're difficult but if you keep trying they're very rewarding pets once you gain their trust, I've had cats in the past who showed no interest. Its hard work with them but they do become very friendly and loyal once you get over that difficult stage.

Advertisement