Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School Teachers

• 15-05-2012 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

HOW WELL did you get on with your school teachers. Did you have favourites. Was there one that you would let know if you had any troubles.

I had a few teachers I liked in secondary school and I got on one with. One of them left the school just after the jr cert. alot of ous missed him just cause he was great for the laugh.

I had one I would let know if anything was annoying me etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

cena wrote: »
    sO HOW WELL did you get on with your school teachers. Did you have favourites. Was there one the you would let know if you had any troubles.

I had a few teachers I liked in secondary school that I got one with. One of them left the school just after the jr cert and I found it hard with the subject he just made it easy and would help out if you where having trouble.

mmmmmm, hot female school teachers.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

sO HOW WELL did you get on with your school teachers. Did you have favourites. Was there one the you would let know if you had any troubles.

I had a few teachers I liked in secondary school that I got one with. One of them left the school just after the jr cert and I found it hard with the subject he just made it easy and would help out if you where having trouble.

Got one what with? Ya durty fecker;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The usual mix of decent one, a few legends and several that shouldn't be allowed into the school unless they were cleaning the toilets.

My physics teachers was a (barely) functional alcoholic. we got a laff of him, until exam time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I didn't really like any of them. One of them was hot though, she would have been in her early 20s back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

They were mostly all poor and I didn't much like any of them. I now know about a dozen or maybe more people either already in teaching or going into it. 3 or 4 of them are brilliant people and the rest are complete eejits. A few of them I wouldn't trust at all and one is a complete paranoid fruitloop. So it all makes sense looking back at things.
    There were a couple of hot subs that were a bit of craic. That was all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Did you do this...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a123/Cllredsox8/john-cena.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Mine were a mixed bag really, some incompetent others exceptional just like in any profession.

I found I excelled in the subjects where the teacher was good. Our history teacher especially was a gem, He'd encourage us to debate the topics in what we were learning and always pushed us to develop an opinion on the syllabus and to incorporate that into our exams, projects etc. His system worked to a tee as nobody in our L.C honours class walked away with anything less than a B2 in the final exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Sky King wrote: »
    My physics teachers was a (barely) functional alcoholic.

As was my PE teacher. :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

sO HOW WELL

that I got on one with.

the subject he just made it easy and would help out if you where having trouble.

Subject wasn't English by any chance was it?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

been a while since i was in school

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I was quite lucky in most respects. Some of the teachers I had were really the most excellent you could ask for - knew their subjects inside out and backwards and could actually communicate them to you in a way that made sense and was interesting. They also went above and beyond the call of duty by scheduling free extra classes and being genuinely interested in the lives of their students.

That said, I also had a few who, while lovely people, were obviously in their "fall-back" careers and very bad at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Them teacher's teached me gud grammer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

i was just thinking about this today. i got on ok with them but i got the impression they never trusted me. it was a gaelscoil too so now all my english is screwed up because we were getting ready for the day when irish would become the number one spoken language in the country. my brother on the other hand went to a christian brothers school and got bet on a daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I had a teacher who used to hit you on the back of the head if you were messing, quite hard. I always meant to take a dive. The same teacher was on probation as well, he had supposedly shoved his hand down a female students top "looking for a note".

Had another one who didn't last 6 months for the abuse we gave him. He had an official jacket of some far right Hungarian movement on his door and a military hat though he was never in the army. He thought Irish and had pictures of Pearse all over his walls and he used to collect really expensive toy soldier models and hand paint them. The abuse I gave that chap got me manys a detention. He was the most anal retentive **** going. We seriously thought he had severe problems. We were afraid he'd snap and bring a gun into school or something.

Had one or two really good teachers as well who were well worth what they were being paid and were legends as well as one or two absolute tools. My woodwork teacher who actually idolized one of his own students actually made his woodwork project for him. I remember seeing the chap, who was a bit slow, pick up the teachers Fanta bottle and start drilling holes in it with an electric screw driver and left it on his own project. Cue the teacher coming back and basically sucking yer man's cock in admiration.

If I saw one or two of them now I'd stop and have a chat but the rest I'd just nod at and smile, put the head down and take a sudden fascination with my shoelaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

I love you forever Miss Nelson, wherever you may be now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

i had one secondary teacher that i thought was sound, then he ended up stringing himself in 1997 i think it was, didn't think much of after that tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The bunch I (and my school had) for the most part when it was Christian Brothers, were a bunch of thugs.
    Nothing less.

There was other teachers brought in later, however the Brothers were just goons all dressed up and took their daily frustrations out on the kids of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

hated them all...and the felling was mutual....feel guilty now tho for causing them so much mental anguish..

in first year we had some student teachers. one couldn't handle the class at all and was practically crying though we weren't doing much
    another was strict enough but good
    one last one was helping one of the teachers and thought the way forward was to be mean, especially to me in front of everyone :rolleyes:
    useless
    apparently not being able to hear made me a suck up

the rest were fine
    loved my english teacher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I had a few good ones and a lot of bad ones. I'm the youngest in my family so my siblings paved the way for me (i.e. I couldn't act like a little bastard and let them down). I had a maths teacher, middle-aged woman but an absolute belter! Really good to chat to as well, only reason I stayed in higher level maths as long as I did! I had to get biology grinds as I joined the class late (switched from geography) and the teacher I had for that was a total legend. Didn't care too much about the curriculum or rote learning of things, he was interested in why things happen and just got me into the science and inquisitive nature of things. Ended up learning most of the old biology course than I did of the crappy new one, most enjoyable bit of learning I did in school. An absolute gentleman. Those are probably the only two that stick out in my mind as having any kind of profound influence, the rest were alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

The majority of my teachers left a bit to be desired - E.g. I had to teach myself the entire LC geography curriculum because our teacher used to stick Micheal Palin's '80 days around the world' on the tv and fall asleep in most classes. This teacher always had chalk marks around his crotch area from scratching himself. He'd also stick his keys in his ears to get the wax out and then eat it. He was surprisingly a very funny man in the rare moments when he was conscious and/or itch-free though.

We always had excellent English teachers for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My LC Maths and History teachers were amazing, my biology and chemistry teacher was woeful. The rest were somewhere in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I had this French teacher who I was in love with. She was unbelievable. I was 15, she was about 22-23. She was Irish. Living over in England and being very proud of my Irish roots I've always had this thought I would marry an Irish girl (still do really) and I thought she was it. She was a Miss, she was a looker, really nice and she took a shining to me after she picked up on my Irish surname and asked where my family were from and she loved that my family were from the same county that she used to go on holiday every year and she loved it there. In my slight deluded self I thought I'd marry her, we'd move back to Ireland and life will be perfect.

And of course because of her I tried ridiculously hard in French. I'd make sure all my homework was perfect. My French oral score (I wish it meant something else...) was 100% in the exam and she gave me a huge hug after I received my grade. I was going to do it for my A-Levels but after I learnt she wouldn't be teaching me I bottled it and did something else :D. She'd always smile at me when I passed her in the hall, she'd lean over my desk so I could see down her top during every lesson (whether she did it deliberately I don't know but probably just a naive inexperienced teacher :D) and ask how's it going. It was my first proper teenage love. Sure enough I left school, moved away and never saw her again. Ironically after I graduate from uni this summer though I might have a job down the road from where my old school used to me, so if I ever see her again and she's still there I am definitely asking her out :cool:. 7 years on and my teenage fantasy might end up coming true :o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 skiver1

on a side note, my wife recently asked me to go to our daughter's parent teacher meeting as she already had plans, I said that I'd jump at the chance as the daughter's teacher was hot......funnily enough my wife's plans changed all of a sudden.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 DonnaHay

Sometimes jokes are welcome. Like the one about the kid who said: "I enjoyed school. It was just the principal of the thing."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I was lucky that most of my LC teachers were great teachers and nice people. They all put on extra classes before and after school and gave up lunch-breaks to do practice oral exams*. A lot of my classes were quite small (I picked some unpopular subjects/levels) so we got to know the teachers fairly well. One of them had the driest sense of humour of anyone I've ever met and we didn't realise how often she was taking the piss until halfway through 6th year :P (when she tried to convince us that our Maths class were going to have to sing at a carol-service because she'd signed us up for it, or when she wanted us to go steal white-board markers for her). Another took to addressing me and my friends with "Sup, nerds?" any time she passed us in the corridor.

People give teachers a lot of stick these days, but mine were genuinely brilliant teachers. I had a couple of bad ones previous to that (including one who didn't show up for about half our classes in one year, and occasionally would turn up only to stand at the door chatting to another teacher for the entire class...) but I think those are very much in the minority.

I'd definitely still stop to talk to them if I met them on the street anyway!

*this is AH, so I'll clarify: spoken language exams :P

Advertisement