Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I managed to buy an app with an empty CC!?!

• 15-05-2012 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭

I bought GTA3 today by accident and it actually downloaded even though my 02 card only has €2 in it:confused:
    How did this happen? I'm kind of annoyed because my Mom's credit card was used for my account years ago before I changed it so I'm wondering if she got charged for it?
    I didn't even want it, I pressed it by accident:(

Can someone give me the appropriate Apple email address in hopes that they *might* refund me:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

They way the billing works as long as an active cc is registered the purchase will go through and then be billed later. When it isn't paid you won't e able to use the AppStore or update apps until the payment is made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

guil wrote: »
    They way the billing works as long as an active cc is registered the purchase will go through and then be billed later. When it isn't paid you won't e able to use the AppStore or update apps until the payment is made

What can I do? I've tried to find an oppropriate email to contact them but no good so far. It's very annoying but I wouldn't mind if the game was actually any good but it's not great on iOS.

I managed to send off an email to the specific support department. So I'll take it from here now:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

iTunes Support has an email address? I don't think so.

Apple make it insanely difficult to report a problem with an app and request a refund. They used to have a guide to doing it on their website but have since deleted it. That's how much they want to help you.

Here's how you can request a refund:

iTunes > Advanced menu > View my Account > Purchase history - See all > Report a problem. Select reason as inadvertently purchased, etc.

iTunes Support has an email address? I don't think so.

Apple make it insanely difficult to report a problem with an app and request a refund. They used to have a guide to doing it on their website but have since deleted it. That's how much they want to help you.

Here's how you can request a refund:

iTunes > Advanced menu > View my Account > Purchase history - See all > Report a problem. Select reason as inadvertently purchased, etc.

That's what I did:) They make it near impossible to actually send the email to them and I've heard they hardly ever refund either:(
    Why couldn't I have accidentally bought a game I would play?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

So you managed to type in your password and download and install it? By accident?

I wish that excuse worked with my wife when she sees the CC bill!

Are all sales with apple final? Never heard of them giving a refund

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They do give refunds in some cases.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

They do give refunds in some cases.

Under what grounds?

Mistaken purchases, and scam apps or apps that don't work as described. Although they are probably more likely to refund you if the app was expensive and you ring them up. I'd imagine they have some internal criteria for what reasons they consider valid. But yeah, technically sales are final and they've no obligation to refund you. In fact, they've made reporting problems with apps a lot more difficult. There used to be a button on the App Store but it's gone now.

Apple's App Store policy and implementation is all over the place. They were rejecting apps a couple of weeks ago because they were inadvertently linking to DropBox's payment website. In the meantime, there numerous newspapers apps such as the Irish Times that deliberately link to external payment sites.

godtabh wrote: »
    So you managed to type in your password and download and install it? By accident?

I wish that excuse worked with my wife when she sees the CC bill!

Are all sales with apple final? Never heard of them giving a refund

I had downloaded an app a few minutes earlier, so I didnt have to put my password in again because I was within the certain timeframe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

This happened to me a few weeks ago, i bought good reader thinking i had enough on the o2 money card, but i didn't.

i got the app fine , but i couldn't download any thing else untill i got another CC and paid off my debts :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I accidentally bought a song twice (I have the quick buy enabled) and I contacted Apple through their "report a problem" method and explained what happened and they agreed to refund me this one time. Didn't have any hassle and it never happened again so dont know what would happen if I did

Some guy from apple got back to me and said that he'd refund my purchase within the next 5 working days.
    He did warn me that this was the absolute last time they would ever refund me and gave me a link to their T&C stating they have a right to finalise purchases.
    A bit full on, but at least I got my refund!

It's still on my iPad so I wonder if I can get away with it?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Yep sounds like the same spiel they gave me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Despite what some people may think, Apple's iTunes support team actually strive to provide the best support in the industry, and do provide refunds if it was a genuine mistake. Unlike Sony on the PSN.... bunch of **** :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I wish it was like the Android Market, you can get a refund on any app within 15 minutes of buying it.
    (it used to be a day, but people where playing/completing games and getting refunds)

Its give you the chance to test it out on your phone/tablet

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I wish it was like the Android Market, you can get a refund on any app within 15 minutes of buying it.
    (it used to be a day, but people where playing/completing games and getting refunds)

Its give you the chance to test it out on your phone/tablet

I'd love it if it was like that but Apple probably make quite a nice chunk of money by not refunding accidental purchases so they won't want to change that.

I got granted a refund but my account is now locked out because it hasn't gone through yet.
    Why did they even let me buy an app if my cc is empty? Let me download it if the funds are there. How hard could that be?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

1ZRed wrote: »
    I'd love it if it was like that but Apple probably make quite a nice chunk of money by not refunding accidental purchases so they won't want to change that.

I got granted a refund but my account is now locked out because it hasn't gone through yet.
    Why did they even let me buy an app if my cc is empty? Let me download it if the funds are there. How hard could that be?:rolleyes:

But every time i want to download something on itunes it asks for my password, so i dont make these mistakes.

If you make another purchase within 15 minutes it doesn't ask for your password.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

If you make another purchase within 15 minutes it doesn't ask for your password.

If it was through the iphone there would still be a last chance because wouldnt the 'Buy' button turn into an 'install' button or something?

Edit - yep on iphone you need to pres twice, once on the actual price, which turns into a buy button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

That's true ! You have to select the app, it shows the price which you have to press then it asks to install. Difficult to see how you could accidentally buy something ?!

Ken

Advertisement