Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does it still 'matter' Catholic baptism regarding schools/jobs in Ireland?

Options
  • 15-05-2012 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,

My husband (Catholic) and I (Protestant) are debating christening our 3 month old baby boy (in a few months) -- he is arguing that it would be better to baptise LO Catholic as it would be easier for schools, but we're hoping to send him to Irish primary (which is interdenominational/Christian) and to a private secondary (Catholic, but will accept non-Catholics who adhere to the ethos of the school). We're not planning his entire life out (I promise!), but one of his arguments is that it would be easier for him to be baptised Catholic than Protestant. I'm American, he's Irish -- so I was raised in a more secular educational system (separation of church and state (and yes, I do understand the founding fathers did believe in God and that the USA is founded on Christian principles)), but does religion really matter in the Irish schools/private schools? Will being baptised Protestant but being exposed to both of his parent's religions be 'acceptable' to schools or (gasp!) employers in this modern Ireland or am I just deluded?

Many thanks -- please note that I do respect the Catholic church (I was married by dispensation to my husband in a Catholic service in Rome), but feel more comfortable either not baptising him at all (letting him choose when he is older) or in my 'own faith'....

best wishes!

Comments

Advertisement