Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report of sex abuser ....shocker

Options
  • 15-05-2012 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I got a link from a friend on fb. Its breaking news .ie about a guy age 19 from balbriggan that got 3 years probation for attacking a 11 year old child. This is his second offence he got two years suspended in 2008 for a similar offence. This means he was in school age 15 with a history of sexual abuse.im just soooo shocked. He's 19 , this happened when he was 17 and he's just allowed to carry on. I have spoke to a few mams in balbriggan and to be honest we just feel so let down. Is there anything we can do to ensure the kids safety. Is it worth our while talking to the community policing forum even if we did, the sentance is just mad. Do you think the Garda will be keeping their eye on him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

cathy01 wrote: »
    I got a link from a friend on fb. Its breaking news .ie about a guy age 19 from balbriggan that got 3 years probation for attacking a 11 year old child. This is his second offence he got two years suspended in 2008 for a similar offence. This means he was in school age 15 with a history of sexual abuse.im just soooo shocked. He's 19 , this happened when he was 17 and he's just allowed to carry on. I have spoke to a few mams in. Albriggan and to be honest we just feel so let down. Is there anything g we can do to ensure the kids safety. Is it worth our while talki g to the community policing forum even if we did, the sent ce is just mad. Do you think the Garda will be keeping their eye on him.
    Doing this from my phOne and it's missing digets sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I got a link from a friend on fb.

Then it must be true.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    I got a link from a friend on fb.

Then it must be true.

It's in the herald as well?? I wouldn't spead stories but it's all over the media. As a mam to three young girls it's put the heart sideways in me, more so because he is the same age as my eldest . Its scary that he's still out there .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Then it must be true.

Comment on the topic, debate the issue, whatever...
    But leave the smart-assed comments out of it. Thanks.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Then it must be true.

A quick Google would prove that yes- it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The police locally are on the ball re things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Apparently true. As parents we can educate our children about dangers such as sexual assault, encourage them to speak with us, how to communicate if something happens etc. I would be just as reliant on doing that as I would the Gardai keeping an eye on this individual.

What do you want the Gardai to do? Even if they had better resources they wouldn't be watching this person 24/7.

Short of having nightmares last night,I was thinking about this.I think I know why I was so upset.Its because , when Im talking to the kids re stranger danger.I always say "if a man", and on the other hand I always encourage my children to make friends.This person was so young , he had the potential to be both, a friend and a stranger .Am I making sense.I dont know what the Garda can do, but maybe this young person is getting the help he needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Its important to keep these things in perspective.

Just because this story was in the media doesnt change anything. He was always there. Same with other sex offenders that you know nothing about because no journalist has written a story.

That probably doesnt sound positive but all Im saying is, no point panicking over a story, stranger danger exists anyway - end of.

There was a guy I was in school with, met him at a bus stop a few years ago, he was creepy and over friendly, asking what pub I was going to, maybe he would pop along later - I just kept saying I didnt know, I didnt have my phone with me etc... He was a weirdo in school too.

A year or so later he was front page news in all the papers. He had committed a horrific rape. He is locked up for years now. I was totally shocked, because he was trying to follow me along with me that night.

But then I thought, sure I was in school with him all along, and nothing happened, so no point in freaking out over one bus stop event.

So thats it - danger exists, educate your kids, thats the best you can do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Short of having nightmares last night,I was thinking about this.I think I know why I was so upset.Its because , when Im talking to the kids re stranger danger.I always say "if a man", and on the other hand I always encourage my children to make friends.This person was so young , he had the potential to be both, a friend and a stranger .Am I making sense.I dont know what the Garda can do, but maybe this young person is getting the help he needs.

Here's a mistake you're making, Cathy. By telling your kids to watch out for "a man", you are narrowing down their idea of potential perpetrators. Women abuse too! As do other minors. You are also teaching your girls to be wary of men they don't know.
    The vast majority of abuse (even in adults) happens between people who are known to the victim.

If you instill good self esteem in your girls, and teach them about gut instinct, then they will be more able to respond appropriately in any situation.

I am sadly not shocked by this situation. The judge found him guilty and added conditions to his suspended sentence, in their eyes, the job is done.
    I would also guess that the reporting (and sentencing) of this sexual assault is unusual. I reckon there are more men/ women/ minors in the community who haven't been charged for assaults just like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

It's important to advise your kids but not frighten the life out of them either. We can't turn children in nervous wrecks or to be dis trusting of others because of the likes of the fella in the report. Simple rule I'd say is if they feel un comfortable or weary in any situation with another person male or female get out of there. Better to cautious than sorry after wards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

whats equally as shocking is that according to the report he was convicted of a similar offence before and got a suspended sentence.

does it again and gets another suspended sentence.

what exactly are they waiting for him to do before they jail him??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Its important to keep these things in perspective.
    Just because this story was in the media doesnt change anything. He was always there. Same with other sex offenders that you know nothing about because no journalist has written a story.

That probably doesnt sound positive but all Im saying is, no point panicking over a story, stranger danger exists anyway - end of.

So thats it - danger exists, educate your kids, thats the best you can do.

Agree educate your kids. The sad thing so often is offenders are in communities and no body is any the wiser. So rather than warn them about "men" more education of kids is needed
    ElleEm wrote: »
    Here's a mistake you're making, Cathy. By telling your kids to watch out for "a man", you are narrowing down their idea of potential perpetrators. Women abuse too! As do other minors. You are also teaching your girls to be wary of men they don't know.
    The vast majority of abuse (even in adults) happens between people who are known to the victim.

If you instill good self esteem in your girls, and teach them about gut instinct, then they will be more able to respond appropriately in any situation.

I am sadly not shocked by this situation. The judge found him guilty and added conditions to his suspended sentence, in their eyes, the job is done.
    I would also guess that the reporting (and sentencing) of this sexual assault is unusual. I reckon there are more men/ women/ minors in the community who haven't been charged for assaults just like this one.
    Its a true saying the law is an ass.
    whats equally as shocking is that according to the report he was convicted of a similar offence before and got a suspended sentence. does it again and gets another suspended sentence.

what exactly are they waiting for him to do before they jail him??

Where have we heard this before?
    It is quite common for people to re offend but this is not like taking candy from a corner shop these offences can and do destroy families and lives of the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Suspended sentence likely means if he does literally anything criminal then it will be revoked.

As said before like any town of Balbriggan's side there's likely several sex offenders living there which goes unreported. Just be good parents, all you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

dsmythy wrote: »
    Suspended sentence likely means if he does literally anything criminal then it will be revoked.

As said before like any town of Balbriggan's side there's likely several sex offenders living there which goes unreported. Just be good parents, all you can do.

At least his identity is known and people can look out for him

Advertisement