Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety can any 1 shed some light?

Options
  • 15-05-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi just wanted to post a thread to see how many people have anxiety?

Its quiet a tough thing to deal with on a daily basis, i consider myself to have severe anxiety espically in social suitations, i dont like shoppin centres or new places, as a young girl of 24 i feel its taking over my life, ive tried thinking what could cause it or what triggers it off but nothing helps, i do have a supportive partner, but i just feel he doesnt get it as he has not been threw any thing like it so he cannot relate to it.
    Daily tasks can sometimes be a struggle, i have dizzy spells everyday, to the point of neary passing out its terrible!! ive always belived there is light at the end of the tunnel, just hoping it happens soon.

So i guess i just wanted to know how everyone deals with it and how can i try get rid off it? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 thepieman12345

Well if you haven't gone to your gp i really would recommend it. Have you asked him/her about it and the possible treatments? There are quite a few, im fairly sure Cognitive behavioral therapy and ssri's are the first line treatments. Benzodiazapines (like valium or xanax) can be prescribed but usually short term as far as im aware. Beta blockers can also be prescribed but i think theyre only really used for performance anxiety.

I went to my gp about anxiety a while ago, first i was prescribed lustral and advised to see a psychiatrist to try cbt, first week the ssri did wonders but then turned me into a neurotic lunatic so i was taken off them very quickly, i have found cbt helps a little. I went through about 3 types of ssri and it was the same story with them all, first week great then not so much.

As of now i am prescribed xanax and i go to a psychiatrist but i think ill stop soon enough. I was prescribed xanax for an as needed basis. Quickly i started using the xanax less and less (it is very addictive so everyone with it should be very careful) now i carry about 3 with me at all times incase a panic attack sets in, but after a week of using them, i felt as if just knowing i had something with me that would help/stop an attack, they became less and less frequent/severe so i ended up needing them less, havent needed one in about 2 weeks.

Good luck and remember there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Well if you haven't gone to your gp i really would recommend it. Have you asked him/her about it and the possible treatments? There are quite a few, im fairly sure Cognitive behavioral therapy and ssri's are the first line treatments. Benzodiazapines (like valium or xanax) can be prescribed but usually short term as far as im aware. Beta blockers can also be prescribed but i think theyre only really used for performance anxiety.

I went to my gp about anxiety a while ago, first i was prescribed lustral and advised to see a psychiatrist to try cbt, first week the ssri did wonders but then turned me into a neurotic lunatic so i was taken off them very quickly, i have found cbt helps a little. I went through about 3 types of ssri and it was the same story with them all, first week great then not so much.

As of now i am prescribed xanax and i go to a psychiatrist but i think ill stop soon enough. I was prescribed xanax for an as needed basis. Quickly i started using the xanax less and less (it is very addictive so everyone with it should be very careful) now i carry about 3 with me at all times incase a panic attack sets in, but after a week of using them, i felt as if just knowing i had something with me that would help/stop an attack, they became less and less frequent/severe so i ended up needing them less, havent needed one in about 2 weeks.

You say you carry 3 xanax with you at all times.i was told by a doctor that it takes up to an hour for xanax to start to work.so how exactly do they help?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 thepieman12345

Personally ive found them to kick in much quicker, for me i feel some of the effects maybe in the realm of 15 minutes and start to calm down then full effects from half an hour to an hour.
    Alprazolam has a fast onset of action and symptomatic relief. 90% of peak benefits are achieved within the first hour of using either preparation for panic disorder, and full peak benefits are achieved in 1.5 and 1.6 hours respectively
    from wikipedia. I can usually feel them building up and from the buildup i can pretty much always tell how severe it will be. So with this 10-15 minute warning can really be a lifesaver for myself. But maybe im just weird that i feel the effects quickly, but i have heard valium is extremely quick to start acting, but longer duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭good logs...

tinacam wrote: »

Its quiet a tough thing to deal with on a daily basis, i consider myself to have severe anxiety espically in social suitations, i dont like shoppin centres or new places, as a young girl of 24 i feel its taking over my life, ive tried thinking what could cause it or what triggers it off but nothing helps, i do have a supportive partner, but i just feel he doesnt get it as he has not been threw any thing like it so he cannot relate to it.
    Daily tasks can sometimes be a struggle, i have dizzy spells everyday, to the point of neary passing out its terrible!! ive always belived there is light at the end of the tunnel, just hoping it happens soon.

So i guess i just wanted to know how everyone deals with it and how can i try get rid off it? thanks

how long have you been having these attacks,when was your first one??

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Try not to go the medication route if possible. Try relaxation techniques - deep breathing and tai chi are good.
    I had bad anxiety a few years ago and even ended up in hospital thinking I was going to die. I found a book called 'Self help for your nerves' by Dr Claire Weekes. This started my recovery.
    Also there are 2 relaxing downloads here that I listened to as often as I needed:
    http://www.bodywhys.ie/resources/downloads/
    Have them on your ipod or phone and listen to them whenever you need.
    These calmed me down numerous times and helped me sleep at night.
    And don't worry - nobody has ever died from a panic attack.
    Camomile tea is another one to try.
    You will get through this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 tinacam

Thanks for all your comments guys, its nice to hear how people deal with things, and im not alone i must try some apps see if they help! its a kinda thing you feel very alone isnt it,?

Its great ye took the time to reply thanks!!!!

how long have you been having these attacks,when was your first one??

about 2 years on and off, had it last year for months then it went away completly for 6 months i had my life back again and was building my confidence, but came back with a bang this time, thing is i know people say why? or am i worried about anything in gereal, thing is im not, i cant pin point why this happens!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

what ever situation makes you anxious......watch other people in the same situations, see how they deal with those tasks and places.....become a people watcher.

you will always see people do silly little things...watch how the cope with those...

make sure you drink plenty of liquids....and munch on something on a regular basis...

see something you like, like adverts, or decorated windows....concentrate on those...

watch how parents cope with children...

try and have something you like to look forward to, when you are at home, and when you go out.......

what ever situation makes you anxious......watch other people in the same situations, see how they deal with those tasks and places.....become a people watcher.

you will always see people do silly little things...watch how the cope with those...

make sure you drink plenty of liquids....and munch on something on a regular basis...

see something you like, like adverts, or decorated windows....concentrate on those...

watch how parents cope with children...

try and have something you like to look forward to, when you are at home, and when you go out.......

this is defo some good info, im going to try thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I used to suffer fairly badly with social anxiety,eventually plucked up the courage to visit my GP and tell him about it,he was very understanding and referred me to a psychologist who helped me come up with strategies to help me calm down when I feel the panic setting in.So I'd definitely recommend going to your GP and see what he/she advises,I only wish that I had done in sooner myself!

I'm also on the waiting list for this cbt group:

http://socialanxietyireland.com/materhospitalgroup.htm

Which my psychologist highly recommended,there's about a 9 month waiting list for a place,so no harm in applying now!

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭pejay

I was prescribed lustral and wend manic on it had to be given something to take me down not a nice drug at all.

I have been suffering GAD general anxiety disorder for 12 years although it has got worse the last 12 months was on tablets called seroxat and xanax and this seemed to help but after a while they stopped working so i now take valium along with a mood stabalizer serequel, i still suffer anxiety every day and like you wonder if there is light at teh end of the tunnel,i am afraid to go out, meet people talk to people and the dizzy spells are horrid to the point you think you are going to die, but rest assured you wont you could be hyperventilating and not know your doing it and that can make you dizzy.
    My advice would be to see you GP before you go further down and try to get help good luck and keep us posted

crazygeryy wrote: »
    You say you carry 3 xanax with you at all times.i was told by a doctor that it takes up to an hour for xanax to start to work.so how exactly do they help?

I think its mind over matter i always have valium on me wherever i go just knowing they are there is a help

about 2 years on and off, had it last year for months then it went away completly for 6 months i had my life back again and was building my confidence, but came back with a bang this time, thing is i know people say why? or am i worried about anything in gereal, thing is im not, i cant pin point why this happens!!

have you ever tried taking b12 supplements?i was similar to u last couple years attacks for no reason wasnt stressed or worried?evey day was nightmare thaught never end?i take sona stress b supplements every moring now attacks never come back dont even think about them anymore,till i forget to take the b12 for couple wks and i can fell the anxiety creeeping back up?

you should defo try them u could be b12 deficient?worth ago if it works?I do find the sona stress b the best so recommend them there in all chemists?

let us know how you get on goodluck

have you ever tried taking b12 supplements?i was similar to u last couple years attacks for no reason wasnt stressed or worried?evey day was nightmare thaught never end?i take sona stress b supplements every moring now attacks never come back dont even think about them anymore,till i forget to take the b12 for couple wks and i can fell the anxiety creeeping back up?

you should defo try them u could be b12 deficient?worth ago if it works?I do find the sona stress b the best so recommend them there in all chemists?

That is good advice as hubby was the same and was low on b12 got blood tests done and he was anxious for days, now and again he has an intense course of injections and it seems to pick him up, he knows himself when running low again as he gets anxious thanks for that info goodlogs will get those over counter meds and try them just wondering though could i overload him with b12

pejay wrote: »
    That is good advice as hubby was the same and was low on b12 got blood tests done and he was anxious for days, now and again he has an intense course of injections and it seems to pick him up, he knows himself when running low again as he gets anxious thanks for that info goodlogs will get those over counter meds and try them just wondering though could i overload him with b12

not sure about overloading him i do take them for say 3 wks then stop for a wk?my doc never diagnosed me as diffecient in b12 was research i done myself on net i decided to try them in days i felt back to myself after about a year of going to the doc asking why i felt so bad for no reason and her trying to give me every tablet she could?i didnt want to take meds cause i knew myself there was something wrong deep down not stress related that was making me feel this way.

ill defo try these thanks

Advertisement