Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Greece turn in to a fascist state if they leave Euro?

• 15-05-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Saw this article a few minutes ago, can't say it's 100% accurate but makes me wonder will Greece turn in to a fascist / totalitarian state if they get launched out of the Eurozone and protests escallate from what's happening now?

Could we have a Greek Hitler? will he bother showing up for meetings or be too busy filling in tax returns? :)

http://www.ansamed.info/ansamed/en/news/sections/politics/2012/05/11/Greece-than-half-police-officers-voted-Neonazi-party_6854190.html
    (ANSAmed) - ATHENS, MAY 11 - More than half of all police officers in Greece voted for pro-Nazi party Chrysi Avgi' (Golden Dawn) in the elections of May 6. This is the disconcerting result of an analysis carried out by the authoritative newspaper To Vima (TheTribune) in several constituencies in Athens, where 5,000 police officers in service in the Greek capital also cast their ballot.

At some polling stations Chrysi Avgi' obtained 19 to 24% of votes.

Others, like Agios Panteleimonas and Kypseli, traditional strongholds of the party, reached 15 to 18%. According to the newspaper, at the 11 polling stations (from 806 to 816) located near the police station (Ellas), Chrysi Avgi' received most votes, reaching 18.64% at station 813 and 23.67% at number 816.

Other polling stations situated at a short distance from the ones mentioned before, where police officers do not vote, recorded 12-14% of votes for the Golden Dawn party.

Moreover, the four polling stations located near the riot police station (MAT), used by the police, recorded percentages between 13 and 19 for Chrysi Avgi'.

These figures, To Vima underlines, are impressive, considering the fact that other polling stations close to the riot police station reached 7-10% of votes for the pro-Nazi party. Based on the electoral lists, 550 to 700 people have voted at each of these voting stations, of which 20 to 30% police officers. This means, the newspaper worked out, that 45 to 59% of police officers have voted for Chrysi Avgi'. (ANSAmed).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Cops looking to have an Authoritarian state, well, I never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Could we have a Greek Hitler? will he bother showing up for meetings or be too busy filling in tax returns?

I don't think the Greeks bother with those, they play their cards very close to their chests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Drachma=/=jackboots.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bit like the figures Sinn Fein are getting here.

And you can take it there are just as many people diametrically opposed same as here.

I've heard of people voting for the treaty simply because SF were against it. Will be the same in Greece.

There was some unpleasantness during the 1940's in Greece and more recently in the former Yugoslavia so probably they know that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Will Greece turn in to a fascist state if they leave Euro?

If they do, they could set up an alliance with the US then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Greece was always slippery - no telling what way it will slide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Pottler wrote: »
    Greece was always slippery - no telling what way it will slide.

Wonder if Ireland's head will be next on the chopping block if / when Greece coils up?

Not sure if the whole fascism thing will take off here again, how many years did we have under the wonderful guidance / oppression of the Catholic Church?

As my Dad said, the SS could have learned a lot in brutality ideas from the Nuns here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

No. However I do think that Greece with see increasing clashes between the far-left and the far-right. Eventually though, I think the radical left will gain sway in Greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Could we have a Greek Hitler?

Adolphus Hitleropolus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I thought 'Nazi' was an arbitrary term to describe them until I did a bit of research into them. They are in essence a neo-Nazi party.

• Advertisement

Adolphus Hitleropolus?

He's very likely a direct descendant of Alexander the Great, I think he expanded Eastwards looking for more Jews to do in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Which Fascists would be in charge, then? The Neo-Nazi "Golden Dawn" party, which took 21 seats in their parliament? Or the Communist "KKE" party, with 26 seats? If they tried to broker an agreement, that would be about as durable as the Hitler-Stalin pact that was in effect at the start of WW2.

PS: they're going back to the polls, since all attempts to form a government have failed.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

St.Spodo wrote: »
    I thought 'Nazi' was an arbitrary term to describe them until I did a bit of research into them. They are in essence a neo-Nazi party.

I'd say you're correct, from what I know of them (farily limited) they are a neo Nazi bunch, also saw that they denied that the holocaust happened which is mad stuff, if they can come out with that kind of mental crap and they still get more votes in the upcomping June election then I would worry about the future of Greece (beyond the obvious financial doom).

bnt wrote: »
    Which Fascists would be in charge, then? The Neo-Nazi "Golden Dawn" party, which took 21 seats in their parliament? Or the Communist "KKE" party, with 26 seats? If they tried to broker an agreement, that would be about as durable as the Hitler-Stalin pact that was in effect at the start of WW2 ...

Yeah but that pact worked for a couple of years, they just needed a scapegoat in the middle to absorb their frustrations :)

Doesn't look like there's a Poland this time, but the immigrants sure look like a tasty target.

Hopefully I'm wrong on that in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

A Greek Hitler ha ha just imagine the mustache.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I have no decent opinion on this subject.
    But every time I see the thread title, I read "Will and Grace" - I can't be the only one who keeps thinking that's what it says, am I?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

1843, 3 September: Military coup and revolution caused by the King's refusal to grant a constitution
    1862, 10 October: Military coup. Otto leaves the throne and the country
    1916, 30 August: Successful anti-royalist coup by the Movement of National Defence.
    1923, October: Failed anti-Venizelist military coup, sparked out of fear for the upcoming elections' result
    1923, 19 December: King George II is "asked" to leave the country. Admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis is named Regent
    1924, 7 October: Failed military coup
    1925, 15 March: Successful coup led by General Theodoros Pangalos.
    1926, 23 August: General Pangalos is overthrown after a coup.
    1933, March: Failed pro-Venezelist coup
    1935, March: Failed coup led by Venizelos and Nikolaos Plastiras. Venizelos flees in France and dies in Paris the following year, the armed forces are purged of Venizelist and Republican officers
    1935, 10 October: Coup led by Georgios Kondylis abolishes the Republic, confirmed by a rigged plebiscite later the same year
    1936, 4 August: Coup by General Ioannis Metaxas, who declares a state of emergency, decrees martial law, annuls various articles of the Constitution and establishes a crisis cabinet to put to an end the growing riots and to restore social order.

1940 - 1949 WWII and Civil war

1956: Failed coup against King Paul I by a group of colonels
    1965, 1 October: Royal Coup, involving King Constantine II and a group of politicians, known as Apostasia of 1965. Prime Minister George Papandreou is forced to resign
    1967, 21 April: Successful coup d'état led by a group of colonels
    1972, 2 March: Ecclesiastical coup in Cyprus fails to remove Makarios from the Presidency
    1974, 15 July: The Greek regime sponsors a coup d'état in Nicosia, replacing President Makarios III with Nikos Sampson
    1974, 23 July: Nikos Sampson is removed from office and replaced with Glafkos Klerides. The coup regime ends. A general ceasefire is declared

Hmmmm maybe they are just coup-coup

But you have to remember that Turkey has an army of 666,576

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

1843, 3 September: Military coup and revolution caused by the King's refusal to grant a constitution
    1862, 10 October: Military coup. Otto leaves the throne and the country
    1916, 30 August: Successful anti-royalist coup by the Movement of National Defence.
    1923, October: Failed anti-Venizelist military coup, sparked out of fear for the upcoming elections' result
    1923, 19 December: King George II is "asked" to leave the country. Admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis is named Regent
    1924, 7 October: Failed military coup
    1925, 15 March: Successful coup led by General Theodoros Pangalos.
    1926, 23 August: General Pangalos is overthrown after a coup.
    1933, March: Failed pro-Venezelist coup
    1935, March: Failed coup led by Venizelos and Nikolaos Plastiras. Venizelos flees in France and dies in Paris the following year, the armed forces are purged of Venizelist and Republican officers
    1935, 10 October: Coup led by Georgios Kondylis abolishes the Republic, confirmed by a rigged plebiscite later the same year
    1936, 4 August: Coup by General Ioannis Metaxas, who declares a state of emergency, decrees martial law, annuls various articles of the Constitution and establishes a crisis cabinet to put to an end the growing riots and to restore social order.

1940 - 1949 WWII and Civil war

1956: Failed coup against King Paul I by a group of colonels
    1965, 1 October: Royal Coup, involving King Constantine II and a group of politicians, known as Apostasia of 1965. Prime Minister George Papandreou is forced to resign
    1967, 21 April: Successful coup d'état led by a group of colonels
    1972, 2 March: Ecclesiastical coup in Cyprus fails to remove Makarios from the Presidency
    1974, 15 July: The Greek regime sponsors a coup d'état in Nicosia, replacing President Makarios III with Nikos Sampson
    1974, 23 July: Nikos Sampson is removed from office and replaced with Glafkos Klerides. The coup regime ends. A general ceasefire is declared

Hmmmm maybe they are just coup-coup

Indeed, it does kind of have a bit of a tradition for military Government. Because of its location also gets a lot of illegal immigrants hence the backlash.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

The boys and girls in Conspiracy Theories will have a field day with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Bit of simmering in Turkey over the last few years too over the constitution and the military and that. They're sworn to uphold it and to remain politically uninvolved but things have been delicate. Lovely stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You would think they'd get off their arses and hire another 90 people for the double effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Or another 423. Get the upside-down multiplier going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I have no decent opinion on this subject.
    But every time I see the thread title, I read "Will and Grace" - I can't be the only one who keeps thinking that's what it says, am I?

You can and you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

You can and you are.

Sorry! I take sleepy meds at night time - I was obviously a tad out of it when I wrote that!
    As you were...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Short answer, no.

The far right in France garnered a larger vote in the presidential elections then it did in Greece, just to put things into perspective. This is media hype and spin and nothing more.
    If you want to know where the real problems are going to come from I suggest that you look at rise the far left in Greece, they are in second place at the moment and once the election is re-run Greece will have their equivalent of the United Left Alliance as the largest party in the country. You're far more likely to see a Stalin then a Hitler if it comes to a revolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Now you mention the Turkish army ... if there's political turmoil in Greece, I would keep one eye on Cyprus too. :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Doing my reading of the Financial Times this morning (here), I see that a bank run has slightly started already.
    (700 million in one day)
    This certainly not a good sign if this alone keeps up.
    I fear the eventual complications might lead to history repeating itself (the last time a big country went belly-up and the far right took over).

I think the dam has already broken - but for the sake of all those living in the country, I hope to god I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Sorry! I take sleepy meds at night time - I was obviously a tad out of it when I wrote that!
    As you were...

(I was just kidding btw. Probably should have thrown in one of these :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

conorhal wrote: »
    Short answer, no.

The far right in France garnered a larger vote in the presidential elections then it did in Greece, just to put things into perspective. This is media hype and spin and nothing more.
    If you want to know where the real problems are going to come from I suggest that you look at rise the far left in Greece, they are in second place at the moment and once the election is re-run Greece will have their equivalent of the United Left Alliance as the largest party in the country. You're far more likely to see a Stalin then a Hitler if it comes to a revolution.

Syriza is a good deal more centre-left than the United Left Alliance are. It's an electoral coalition so it does contain small groups of Communists, but the largest component is a group that broke away from the KKE (Communist Party) over it's slavish devotion to the party line from Moscow (mainly because the breakaway group supported a multiparty democracy if they won power). Internally they are a democratic group as well, so there should be no worries of a Stalin emerging from Syriza. Whether there will be anything left to govern by the time of the election is another question...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Biggins wrote: »
    Doing my reading of the Financial Times this morning (here), I see that a bank run has slightly started already.
    (700 million in one day)
    This certainly not a good sign if this alone keeps up.
    I fear the eventual complications might lead to history repeating itself (the last time a big country went belly-up and the far right took over).

I think the dam has already broken - but for the sake of all those living in the country, I hope to god I'm wrong.

I honestly don't think that there is a prospect of the far-right winning power, but no financial system can take those kind of losses for long. At this rate, by the time Greece leaves the Euro the banks will have been cleaned out and everyone will have plenty of Euro notes to trade for drachmas when inflation kicks in.

Advertisement