Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why did all the Italians come here and set up Chippers?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I apologise Sir

No, never seen The Van

I'm loading it up now, going to see what Colm Meaney has to say about these Schillaci loving *****

All the same, Schillaci isn't a bad lad.
    I remember he's a Smithwicks drinker :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I remember he's a Smithwicks drinker :cool:

All the cool kids are drinking the pale ale. Not that I would know, of course.

dlofnep wrote: »
    I asked this question on here before - the consensus was that Italy is extremely poor and corrupt, and that they have a better life in Ireland.

Most of them come from a certain region of Italy. Val Di Comino. A rural village in south Italy. The Macaris came to Dublin in the 1880s. Now, they run the show. The Borzas come from the same area too, if I remember correctly. Other non Dub chippers as well.

By the turn of the 20th century, pre Irish independence, there were at least 15 chippers in Dublin. At least. Some historians claim double.

But with this story, the only double I want to hear about is drenched in a ****load of salt and vinegar. Always vinegar first, so the salt sticks.

God bless Val di Comino.

Because Irish men are generally fat p1ssheads who like a bite after the pub.

The Irish male enjoys the finer things in life. The pint, the chipper after. Its as enjoyable as any cultural tradition.

The chipper is a thing of cultural beauty. Dont over indulge, but.

When one leaves this rain ridden beautiful island of ours, there are two things one longs for(except loved ones).

The chipper and all the glorious offerings.

The full Irish breakfast and the cup of scald.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

You know whichever guido grill I order a burger from.. I always invariably get the same pale imitation of a Wopper.

LH Pathe wrote: »
    You know whichever guido grill I order a burger from.. I always invariably get the same pale imitation of a Wopper.

Burger King burgers are better. But their chips pale in imitation to the Italian chippers.

What to go for, such a conundrum!

Food Fare my arse Grease Stop is more fitting

/oo-er.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Cut out the casual racism. /mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,220 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Are they actual Italians or are they roma-Italians?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

The amount of chippers in the town next to me is just appalling. I hate seeing the local schools emptying out at lunch hour, they just head straight for the crap food. And the size of some of them.

For the sake of the kids health in the town the best thing that could happen is the recession wipes the chippers out.

As an earlier poster said, it's an awful pity they didn't bring their native cuisine with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

As other said, it was just a few families from a certain region of Italy. It's also largely a Dublin thing. Although you do find real Italian chippers elsewhere, most are fake Italian staffed by all sorts nationalities cashing in on the Italian brand.

Dublin has the best chippers generally. In any small neighbourhood you're spoiled for choice. Outside Dublin it's a lottery.

In Britain the Italians are associated with ice cream.

In America...........well you know!

Are they actual Italians or are they roma-Italians?

Proper Eyetalians

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I never heard the expression "one and one" and I'm from Dublin. Has anyone heard this? Where I'm from in the chippers a bag of chips is called a "Single" for some reason.

And in Dublin you don't order curry chips

I've heard lots order a curry chip

Bit strange

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

xflyer wrote: »
    In Britain the Italians are associated with ice cream.

In America...........well you know!

I would say here in Scotland the local chipshop is usually Italian AND the local cafe sells home made ice cream to die for:)

• Advertisement

IrishAm wrote: »
    The Irish male enjoys the finer things in life. The pint, the chipper after. Its as enjoyable as any cultural tradition.

The chipper is a thing of cultural beauty. Dont over indulge, but.

When one leaves this rain ridden beautiful island of ours, there are two things one longs for(except loved ones).

The chipper and all the glorious offerings.

The full Irish breakfast and the cup of scald.

I have been able to find all of these things in England, Australia, and New Zealand!

Scotland is a mad place

Years ago I saw them selling battered Mars Bars
    Sounds disgusting and seemed it was unique to Scotland. I thought it would never come to Ireland

Just a few years later it's here now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I remember Luigi's chipper in Rathfarnham had it's windows smashed AFTER we beat them in the USA World Cup in 1994.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Pushtrak wrote:
    I'm not sure there are that many coming over here. Link to something backing that up? Supposing they are, guess they just like to rome around.
    Fbjm wrote: »
    Sure they're just milan about over here aren't they :pac:
    Ah I'm sure they just came Turin around Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Scotland is a mad place

Sounds disgusting and seemed it was unique to Scotland. I thought it would never come to Ireland

Scotland's no madder than Ireland tbh:p

Oh do so love a deep fried mini Mars bar(couldn't eat a big one though):rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

IrishAm wrote: »
    Me, sir? Never, sir!

As the great philosophiser, Captain Boyle, once exclaimed, not one drop of intoxicating liquor has passed me lips.

How about several drops? :cool:
    BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I never heard the expression "one and one" and I'm from Dublin. Has anyone heard this? Where I'm from in the chippers a bag of chips is called a "Single" for some reason.

From Dublin meself and never heard 1 and 1, only read about it.

the odd thing about singles is when asking for 2 or more, and sure, put'em in together. Not very single then are they? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

Abi wrote: »
    As an earlier poster said, it's an awful pity they didn't bring their native cuisine with them.

You can get Pizza in most of the Italian chippers here,is that not there native cuisine.

From Dublin meself and never heard 1 and 1, only read about it.

Yeah it might be something they said in the 50s and 60s but I wish they'd shut up about it already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

- I’ve got my own business, you know? Fish and chip shop. You like fish?

- Some fish. Not fish-and-chip-shop fish.

- Right.

- You like chips, though?

- You know what I like? Onion rings.

- Right. Not the biggest fan of them myself. It’s about the only part of my produce that I’m not partial to. Look, I’m not gonna beat around the bush, ladies. If we can’t be compatible about business…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The amount of chippers in the town next to me is just appalling. I hate seeing the local schools emptying out at lunch hour, they just head straight for the crap food. And the size of some of them.

For the sake of the kids health in the town the best thing that could happen is the recession wipes the chippers out.

The problem is not the chippers around the school. It's the parents regularly giving the kids money for a chipper for their lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

The problem is not the chippers around the school. It's the parents regularly giving the kids money for a chipper for their lunch.
    oh I agree about the parents Drav. Lunch money is handed to them and no more is said about it. The school canteens themselves have this stuff, but healthier options available. More often than not they're choosing the chips etc, that's the problem. If they venture out then it's the chip shops. The latest one here is McDonald's, and they're piling in there too. They're not going in there for their salad anyway.

It's hard to control what they eat when the parents aren't around, but there has to be more encouragement from both the parents and the schools to make healthier food choices. I know the primary schools run the 'food dude' initiatives each year, but that's all and well if they're being sent in with a packed lunch. Teenagers want to wander off with their friends, and they'll tend to go with the flow of the group where they eat. Secondary schools need something similar to food dudes only a grown up version with shock tactics to make them reassess their food choices. There's 3 Italian places in the town I can think of, they're all chippers.

Secondary schools need something similar to food dudes only a grown up version with shock tactics to make them reassess their food choices.

*No one will want to ride ya if yer a big fat uggo!

*Here's some proper food/dietary advice and some excersie / sporting activites you can part take in to make you more desirable and thus increase yer chances of getting yer hole.

Eveythings sex these days sure. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

the chippers are just a front for the Mob :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

Supprised this hasnt been asked yet so ill do the honors...

How do they make there chips and why are they so tasty?

Is it the type of spud they use?
    Is it the oil they use?
    Do they prep the spuds someother way?

Now for me the battered stuff isnt as unique as it can be got in most chippers but its the chips that set them apart.

Also in my closest town all the Italian chippers have different names prob to give the impression the punter has a choice but they are all owned by the one family anyway, and everyone of them id say makes a fortune week in week out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

They're only dirty crook guido son of some sicilian who are almost more established here than the Irish emselves yer they rarely seek to improve their piss poor practice and do their great nation a disservice so don't buy it

Food Fare my arse Grease Stop is more fitting

Your contribution to the thread was immense, thanks for all the racist comments. Don't step out under a bus or anything, it'd break my heart to lose your quality input.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I was browsing through a magazine about food in my Doctors surgery last week and happened upon a piece about the Annual Chipper Ball or something to that effect.. every year apparently all the families meet up for what looked like the TV Awards or something..

All these VIP-esque pictures of Meadow and Carmella Borza and Jinny Aprile all dolled up in their finery :D

kinda bizarre..

Above names may not be real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Lovely italian chippy ten minutes ealk from the place I'm repeating. 70 cent cheaper than my local, and the bags are massive, and the chips are divine <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Scotland is a mad place

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w0rLfkvl8BI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

There's just not enough Sopranos watchers on here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Battered mars bars :mad: worse thing I've ever eaten.

What Ireland needs is some distributor to start importing Irn Bru

Never seen it here but a gorgeous drink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

it is just red lemonade.....

It's nicer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Err, like Tesco? My kids love it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Gee Bag wrote: »

It appears that If your second name is Macari, you must open a takeaway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

one thing I dont get is why other places like chinese and indian places sell such ****e chips.

do the producers of the italian ones have a deal where they only supply them to chippers?

like if a chinese place offered chipper chips aswell as their on stuff then they would get so much more customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

It's nicer :)

agreed....ok, nicer red lemonade...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

It was chicken and chips when I heard it first, in the inner city.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭pipelaser

wonton wrote: »
    one thing I dont get is why other places like chinese and indian places sell such ****e chips.

do the producers of the italian ones have a deal where they only supply them to chippers?

like if a chinese place offered chipper chips aswell as their on stuff then they would get so much more customers.

Hold on a minute, Chinese Chips are the ****! Try their omelettes as well, they're like music in mouth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

pipelaser wrote: »
    Hold on a minute, Chinese Chips are the ****! Try their omelettes as well, they're like music in mouth!

chippers chips are way better than the chinese ones, its rare that people go into chinese just for a chip !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Originally Posted by Pushtrak
    I'm not sure there are that many coming over here. Link to something backing that up? Supposing they are, guess they just like to rome around.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fbjm
    Sure they're just milan about over here aren't they
    cournioni wrote: »
    Ah I'm sure they just came Turin around Ireland.

Dont be so Sicily!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

200 chippers on the list from the website, i know a few Italian chippers(with Italian employees) that are not on it and share the same names like Roma and Macari's, bit strange!

I knew their great great grand-don and I call tell you tehy are all a chip off the old guido

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 tits magee

the italians bring all the irish to the chipper.

and they're like it's better than yours.

damn right, it's better than yours

i can teach you but i'll have to charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Yeah it might be something they said in the 50s and 60s but I wish they'd shut up about it already!

So you want a popular Dublin takeaway food phrase to disappear for no apparent reason?

• Advertisement
Advertisement