Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Enda Kenny to make an announcement in knock this coming monday,Will have to wait and see what happens.

eastmayo wrote: »
    Enda Kenny to make an announcement in knock this coming monday,Will have to wait and see what happens.

That will be interesting, I would say his re-election will depend on what he says. If he doesn't offer some support and risks the 900 jobs in this region that the airport supports then he is toast. It would be the equivalent of Bruton letting Intel close in the east, political suicide.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

MOL is making an announcement in SNN on Monday also. Could be an interesting news day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Considering that MOL will make a route announcement in Shannon just after the loss of the Bristol, Birmingham and Edinburgh routes, I'd say knock will not hold onto their Bristol route with fr.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cgill

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Considering that MOL will make a route announcement in Shannon just after the loss of the Bristol, Birmingham and Edinburgh routes, I'd say knock will not hold onto their Bristol route with fr.

Good to hear that Enda will hopefully have good news for Knock. It's about time too...hopefully new routes won't be far behind. I really hope that Bristol doesn't end from Knock even if Ryanair starts from Shannon. It would be a real insult to Knock if ryr decide to begin snn-pik/gla as a replacement for edi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

I'd pay €20 from knock. It's that simple.

The pain in the arse of getting from Dublin airport to hueston to the train west is a nightmare. Losing valuable time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

BowWow wrote: »
    What happens if you buy a ticket to fly and refuse to pay the €10 at the airport?

You wont be allowed into the Departure Lounge.

I'd pay €20 from knock. It's that simple.

The pain in the arse of getting from Dublin airport to hueston to the train west is a nightmare. Losing valuable time.

There is quite a difference in distance between Shannon And Dublin.
    Obviously if knock is considerably closer, Shannon does not have the route or the price difference outways the €10 fee it would be simply smarter to fly from knock. If not, than just simply flying from knock out of loyalty/personal preference is often a popular choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

That will be interesting, I would say his re-election will depend on what he says. If he doesn't offer some support and risks the 900 jobs in this region that the airport supports then he is toast. It would be the equivalent of Bruton letting Intel close in the east, political suicide.

It might save him in Mayo but parish pump politics like this will do him no favours nationally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

You wont be allowed into the Departure Lounge.

Would I be able to fly out?

• Advertisement

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    It might save him in Mayo but parish pump politics like this will do him no favours nationally

If he doesn't think he will get elected locally he won't even run for the next term. At the moment there isn't a chance. His home town has more empty shops/buildings than Chernobyl :).
    As for the national view, I don,t think there would be complaints if he stepped in to save Jobs. Especially when they have created almost no new jobs in the region in several years. If you want a job in any of these counties you move to Dublin or London and commute back to your kids on weekends.A 4 day contract work week in Dublin is getting very popular for people down here.
    Then again he might do nothing and leave those jobs at risk.

Would I be able to fly out?

Good look getting to your plane

• Registered Users Posts: 13,088 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Basically the airport staff will refuse to process your boarding pass until you pay the €10. They have the right to refuse you access to airside and they will use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Crumbs868 wrote: »

To be honest the amounts you'd be talking about for investing in Knock are so small that it would barely get noticed at national level other than by those with a vested interest in aviation affairs. Apart from aviation enthusiasts and a few politicians with agendas who are based near to other provincial airports - in Clare, Limerick and Cork in particular, nobody pays much heed to what goes on at Knock.

flazio wrote: »
    Basically the airport staff will refuse to process your boarding pass until you pay the €10. They have the right to refuse you access to airside and they will use it.

I cant believe this! If I buy a ticket to fly(and part of the ticket price includes airport charges) I have to pay more at the airport. Its like blackmail, extortion etc

I cant believe this! If I buy a ticket to fly(and part of the ticket price includes airport charges) I have to pay more at the airport. Its like blackmail, extortion etc
    In Knock the ticket price and airport charges are separated so when you bought a ticket you still hadn't paid the airport charges, they are paid when entering the departure lounge.

If you think its extortion :rolleyes: simply use another airport where the all airport charges are added to the ticket price.

Have never flow out of Knock, but have flown out of 30 odd other airports. Have never ever had to pay a surcharge to get airside - it was always included as part of the ticket price.

If the charge is for access to airside I assume its charged when you land and want to exit the airport too? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

(There, 2 :rolleyes::rolleyes: to your 1 :rolleyes:)

In Knock the ticket price and airport charges are separated so when you bought a ticket you still hadn't paid the airport charges, they are paid when entering the departure lounge.

If you think its extortion :rolleyes: simply use another airport where the all airport charges are added to the ticket price.

There fore it makes knock actually more expensive to fly from than other airports, airline fares are regularly the same as competing airports.

If the charge is for access to airside I assume its charged when you land and want to exit the airport too? )
    No, just departure.

There fore it makes knock actually more expensive to fly from than other airports, airline fares are regularly the same as competing airports.

You have never used the airport and probably never will but come onto the thread for your daily criticism of the same airport. You are obviously just Trolling at this stage.

• Advertisement

You have never used the airport and probably never will but come onto the thread to criticize it daily. Are you just trying to Troll ?

I come on to continue my points.

So what if I have never used the airport? Does it make a difference? I'm not critical of its appearance, nor its service which I do not have much of an insight into. I am arguing the facts I know.

The great thing about the internet is you can know so much about something without ever being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You have never used the airport and probably never will but come onto the thread for your daily criticism of the same airport. You are obviously just Trolling at this stage.

Pot calling the kettle black?

Let's remind ourselves of the kind of bile you came up with in the past few weeks to answer insult anyone who dares to question your opinions...
    I thought you were getting your self sorted this past year, so i cut you alot of slack by letting you rant at will. But getting your self worked up all over again is not doing you any favours. You should really go back to the services. Try and relax a bit, go for a walk, watch some sport(at home). This is only a chatboard after all, remember not everybody will agree with you through life.
    Thats the reason for the Ryanair route transfers from KnocK and Cork to Shannon. PPLLLEEEEEEASE....Theirs no denying that, :). Of course the fact that you spend most of your time posting on the Shannon thread you are unlikely to agree to something so obvious.
    You're transparent posts are just making yourself look foolish once again Carn. All regular boards posters know about your pathetic incessant uninformed anti Knock postings.

coylemj wrote: »
    Pot calling the kettle black?

Let's remind ourselves of the kind of bile you came up with in the past few weeks to answer insult anyone who dares to question your opinions...

Touche...but you did kinda help make my point. Your opinions on Knock airport......just in case anybody mistakes you as an impartial contributor.
    It was approved by a corrupt politician (Haughey) to curry favour and buy votes in the west thanks to the campaign by a megalomaniac priest (Mons. Horan).

The only positive thing you can say about it's genesis is that at least they didn't bother throwing money at consultants for anything as silly as a cost-benefit analysis, they just decided to build it and hang the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Ah, For gods sake, will you stop attacking posters. Just because someone comes on here and doesn't agree with you, you decide to have a go at them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether they fly from Knock, Shannon, or any other airport.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether they fly from Knock, Shannon, or any other airport.
    I agree 100% with you. Maybe i'm coming across as attacking a poster but thats honestly not my intent, apologies to the board if thats how its been received. Carn knows there is nothing personal in my posts to him more than banter, i think he knows better than that. Likewise i do not take the insults from you and others here personally either, whether they are meant or not.

Ah, For gods sake, will you stop attacking posters. Just because someone comes on here and doesn't agree with you, you decide to have a go at them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether they fly from Knock, Shannon, or any other airport.

I actually quite enjoy disagreeing with Mayomaffia, because when he is unable yo argue a point he goes off and insults me, which I find quite amusing.

But, the insults are very petty and should be stopped.

I agree 100% with you. Maybe im coming across as attacking a poster but thats honestly not my intent. Carn knows there is nothing personal in my posts to him more than banter, i think he knows better than that.

Thanks for that.

I think you shall agree that we should move on from this argument now.

Thanks for that.

I think you shall agree that we should move on from this argument now.
    Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Touche...but you did kinda help make my point. Your opinions on Knock airport......just in case anybody mistakes you as an impartial contributor.

I never claimed to be impartial, you certainly aren't so why do the rest of us need to be? If we all needed to pass your neutrality test, there would be no discussion at all - that I suspect is what you hope to achieve with your hectoring attitude.

Why not try addressing the issues that people raise instead of going straight for the jugular and insulting people? And quoting their old posts to prove that they are so biased that their opinions don't count?

You deny that the airport was only built in the first place as a political stunt?

• Advertisement

Why not try addressing the issues that people raise ?
    The questions on the €10 euro fee and other issues have been answered every possible way by several different posters.
    You deny that the airport was only built in the first place as a political stunt?
    Monsignor Horan was hardly running for Office....It was built because of his determination after-all. Not counting the state input He collected 4 million in fund raising, an enormous amount in the the early 80's. If there was a political stunt it would be politicians jumping on the back of what he had already done, just like you still get from politicians to this day for any good news story.

Advertisement