Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock Airport

Options

Comments

coylemj wrote: »
    a history of belligerent posts and personal insults.

You couldn't resist throwing the thread off course once again could you. Most of your posts on this thread are thinly veiled attacks on posters and are not about the airport at all. Your post above should really apply to yourself, very hyprocritical.

As for the disagreement on the board regarding the fee its just going around in circles. As Masala and most others have said previously we will just have to agree to disagree as everybody is bored to death with it including myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

eastmayo wrote: »
    Enda Kenny in airport since 7 30 this morning

Apparently he has no cash on him so can't get into departures as he can't pay the €10.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Carnacalla wrote: »

The reason Ryanair does not base aircraft at knock is due to its limited opening hours. Its not opened the 18 hours a day Ryanair want so they wouldn't get to fully utilise aircraft. You would think that with the €10 development fee being charged you would get this.

If knock did open for 18hours, Ryanair probably would base an aircraft at knock and would have a better chance of gaining new routes.

That is a lie. Do you work for Ryanair? I would imagine basing aircraft involved much more than operating hours of an airport which can easily be changed if needs be. The airport closes in the evening because there are no more flights for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

yew_tree wrote: »
    That is a lie. Do you work for Ryanair? I would imagine basing aircraft involved much more than operating hours of an airport which can easily be changed if needs be. The airport closes in the evening because there are no more flights for the day.

It's not a lie- typically first flights would start at 6am and last one in returning as late as midnight- Knock does not operate this early or late because it only rosters a single staff shift to save money. It's not just as simple as saying "Let's start opening early so Ryanair can have a base" !

It's not a lie- typically first flights would start at 6am and last one in returning as late as midnight- Knock does not operate this early or late because it only rosters a single staff shift to save money. It's not just as simple as saying "Let's start opening early so Ryanair can have a base" !

I find it very hard to believe that if airlines(s) wanted to operate outside the current operating hours that the airport would not accommodate this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I find it very hard to believe that if airlines(s) wanted to operate outside the current operating hours that the airport would not accommodate this.

If it ended up being for two rotations only (which is what you might expect with a single based craft, outside current hours) it likely wouldn't cover costs - even more so if they were new routes on incentivised pricing.

If it was for more than one based aircraft, or more than one carrier asking for it with multiple routes they'd probably jump on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You couldn't resist throwing the thread off course once again could you. Most of your posts on this thread are thinly veiled attacks on posters and are not about the airport at all. Your post above should really apply to yourself, very hyprocritical.

And you got an infraction for being civil and staying on topic without getting personal? Pot and kettle yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cgill

I believe one of the reasons for Knock not being a base is its lack of maintenance facilities. If there was demand from an airline to open a base there, I have no doubt that Knock staff would accomodate it, if the conditions were right. I highly doubt that they would refuse an airline based on their work patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

flazio wrote: »
    Looked everywhere for a video clip of this, couldn't find one so.....
    theptadisbands6_thumb.png?w=512&h=384
    “Well, I guess this is a case where we’ll have to agree to disagree.” – Ned Flanders Me
    “I don’t agree to that.” – Principal Skinner mayomaffia
    “Neither do I.” – Mrs. Krabappel Carnacalla
    Nobody wants to be ned ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

I feel as if the knock supporters have run out of excuses and have now decided to just simply end the argument. I dont think there has been any justification of the argument, so forgive me but I would like to add a few extra points.

1.) The fee is not well publicised, sure Aer Lingus and Flybe publicise it but Ryanair do not and Ryanair is the main power of the airport flying a half million of knocks passengers in 2013, flying around 70-80% of knocks passengers. Ryanair should publicise the fee and knock should make sure this happens. I don't know how, but they should.

2). Any tourists flying into the airport use Ryanair and they would get a nice surprise of a €10 fee each on their way home. Bad experiences would prevent them from visiting Ireland again.

3). Regarding the European law, I don't know where that charge stands, but at the least it should be well known.

Issues I have personally with knock, and other regional airports.

1). Ryanair do not base aircraft at knock, which in turn means that aircraft have to fly from other bases to knock. That is fine when going to England or Scotland, but for me on my holiday to lanzarote is a big problem. The flight leaves at around 12:00-12:30 which is fine. Thats perfectly fine. But it's coming back that leaves a sting. Leaving for the airport at 5am to get a 7:30 flight is very painful. It is something that I will just not do. Its the same in the summer with the lanzarote flight from Shannon, and its why I would never use that service. I ended up using cork airport.

The reason Ryanair does not base aircraft at knock is due to its limited opening hours. Its not opened the 18 hours a day Ryanair want so they wouldn't get to fully utilise aircraft. You would think that with the €10 development fee being charged you would get this.

If knock did open for 18hours, Ryanair probably would base an aircraft at knock and would have a better chance of gaining new routes.

2). Its location.
    Knock cannot be moved, nor do I dislike it for this reason but it is really put in the middle of no where. When haughey was building it as a publicity stunt, he could of at least placed it somewhere logical. BTW I have been past knock airport before while taking a drive in Mayo so I know where it is.(I understand I will probably get abuse for that comment, but that's my opinion and I honestly don't care what abuse I get)

After all those probably negative points, I wish knock a healthy future, preferably without a hidden development charge.

tumblr_m26cbdtfng1qh59n0o1_500.gif?%20width=

Think it's time to let it go.

You've never flown out of Knock for god sake.

• Advertisement

You've never flown out of Knock for god sake.

How does that make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

How does that make a difference?

Your bashing and being negative towards a service you've never used. It's extremely petty.

Your bashing and being negative towards a service you've never used. It's extremely petty.

My bashing? The only thing I have bashed is the €10 charge. The rest was a personal rant.

And I have not said anything about the service at knock. I have never used the airport terminal so I don't comment on that.

I'm trying to have a civilised discussion, but I cannot do that without being accused of some sort of "crime" or being insulted. I don't see why I cannot talk about knock airport, I have never said there shouldn't be an airport for the north west, I have never insulted anyone here so in my view I'm perfectly entitled to continue debating the way I am at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Masala

JAYSUS..... It's kicked off AGAIN???

Will I ever get back this lost time I spent on this thread reading the same thing over........ and over... and over... and........

This is a criminal misuse of internet bandwidth.

There should be a Curse Jar in the corner for the next person who mentions the words '€10 Fee at Knock' in their post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

So much negativity from a few posters on here - if people don't want to use the airport they don't have to.

However, it should be remembered that passenger numbers at Cork this year are on course to dip back below 2003 figures for the first time since then. Additionally, even with this year's gains, Shannon's numbers will still be three quarters of a million passengers short of what they were back in 2003.

Yet in the same period of time Knock's passenger numbers have almost tripled - so they must be doing something right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

So much negativity from a few posters on here - if people don't want to use the airport they don't have to.

However, it should be remembered that passenger numbers at Cork this year are on course to dip back below 2003 figures for the first time since then. Additionally, even with this year's gains, Shannon's numbers will still be three quarters of a million passengers short of what they were back in 2003.

Yet in the same period of time Knock's passenger numbers have almost tripled - so they must be doing something right.

You are not comparing like with like at all there. Completely different scenario for Shannon over those years. And they are one year into a standalone operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I compared three airports within the same country with each other over the same time period. It is an exact like with like comparison.

Anyway to change the subject, any announcements due on 2015 routes to/from Knock?

Anyway to change the subject, any announcements due on 2015 routes to/from Knock?

Ryanair still havent made an official announcement about their Summer 2015 schedule as they have for Shannon, Cork, Kerry etc. Either something is in the pipeline or Ryanair regards Knock below Kerry. Either way 2015 is unlikely to be as successful as 2014. All in all, 5 routes gone and flybe also reported to be suspending Manchester but its still only rumours as their full summer schedule hasnt been published yet.

cgill wrote: »
    Ryanair still havent made an official announcement about their Summer 2015 schedule as they have for Shannon, Cork, Kerry etc. Either something is in the pipeline or Ryanair regards Knock below Kerry. Either way 2015 is unlikely to be as successful as 2014. All in all, 5 routes gone and flybe also reported to be suspending Manchester but its still only rumours as their full summer schedule hasnt been published yet.

Q1: What did Kerry get for 2015 from Ryanair?? I must have misted that one.
    Q2. What did Knock lose?? Save me trawling through the 2014 vs 2015 timetable!! Thanks

• Advertisement

Masala wrote: »
    Q2. What did Knock lose?? Save me trawling through the 2014 vs 2015 timetable!! Thanks

They lost Gran Canaria and Prestwick anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

They lost Gran Canaria and Prestwick anyway.

There was a press release/launch of Kerry schedule, nothing for Knock.

Eindhoven and Kaunas also gone, as is Cologne

Blimey... didn't think they lost all them.

Sure.. there was a big hype earlier in year along the lines ..."....Ryanair launched the three exciting new services to Glasgow (Scotland), Kaunas (Lithuania) and Eindhoven (Netherlands)". They didn't give these long to establish themselves.

And the Luftansa and later called German Wings....Gone as well!!

Wow..

Blimey... didn't think they lost all them.

Sure.. there was a big hype earlier in year along the lines ..."....Ryanair launched the three exciting new services to Glasgow (Scotland), Kaunas (Lithuania) and Eindhoven (Netherlands)". They didn't give these long to establish themselves.

And the Luftansa and later called German Wings....Gone as well!!

Wow..

Kaunas established itself well enough to be moved to Shannon at 2pw. And Cologne obviously showed enough potential to be moved too. In fairness despite high loads on PIK and EIN the fares were generally very low unlike KUN. I was very surprised with Gran Canaria.

cgill wrote: »
    Kaunas established itself well enough to be moved to Shannon at 2pw. And Cologne obviously showed enough potential to be moved too. In fairness despite high loads on PIK and EIN the fares were generally very low unlike KUN. I was very surprised with Gran Canaria.

That a bit of a kick in the teeth for Knock!!

A lesson to be learned here then for all the Cork Airport supporters wanting Ryanair in on reduced fees... all huff and puff in Year 1 and out the door in Year 2.

I supposed Knock also invested heavily marketing, route support etc... some loyalty there from Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,088 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Wonder could they tempt in Stobart to resume it's Shannon routes, maybe even some old Aer Arann Galway routes.

flazio wrote: »
    Wonder could they tempt in Stobart to resume it's Shannon routes, maybe even some old Aer Arann Galway routes.

It looks as if Stobart are going to be focusing on DUB and the UK. Id say its very unlikely that they would return to Knock in the future and Galway is even more unlikely. By the looks of it, Stobart need some of the Shannon aircraft to operate DUB-CFN etc. so little growth in the west from them in the future id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

My bashing? The only thing I have bashed is the €10 charge. The rest was a personal rant.

And I have not said anything about the service at knock. I have never used the airport terminal so I don't comment on that.

Apart from the €10 a lot of your argument is about Ryanair and their Schedules, maybe that should be for another Thread as this thread seems to be taken over by Petty arguing..

Wasn´t there supposed to be some announcement re Knock This week! Anything yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭eastmayo

mayotom wrote: »
    Apart from the €10 a lot of your argument is about Ryanair and their Schedules, maybe that should be for another Thread as this thread seems to be taken over by Petty arguing..

Wasn´t there supposed to be some announcement re Knock This week! Anything yet?
    enda Kenny was in knock Monday and he due back again before xmass so we will have to wait and see what happens

• Advertisement

"Knock Airport saved in historic deal"

mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21132:historic-deal-saves-knock-airport&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

Brilliant news for the airport!

Advertisement