Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

My money would be on Palma and a charter possibly...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Palma charter? With who?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Reus with Falcon/Thomson.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Reus with Falcon/Thomson.

Great....had to fly from shannon last year....good news.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

eastmayo wrote: »
    Great....had to fly from shannon last year....good news.

Will it be a Thomson airways flight ? Or another carrier ?

• Advertisement

Locker10a wrote: »
    Will it be a Thomson airways flight ? Or another carrier ?

Air Contractors (ASL) I'd imagine.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Air Contractors (ASL) I'd imagine.

Yeah probably EI STA

Unlikely to be ASL, they are fully booked that day with DUB-REU-ORK-REU-DUB.

Unlikely to be ASL, they are fully booked that day with DUB-REU-ORK-REU-DUB.

Who is it likely to be then

Either Thomson from a UK base or a Spanish carrier more likely. Should see once on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cgill

This route will operate from the end of June to the middle of August, that should be enough time for it to prove itself, hopefully we will see more in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

An interesting article on the airport here, albeit more from a Galway perspective.

http://www.galwayindependent.com/business/topics/articles/2015/11/05/4108788-new-phase-of-journey-begins/

Massive boost for Knock, with services to EDI and BHX announced.
    http://www.irelandwestairport.com/utility/news_details.aspx?id=383

Six weekly services on EDI and BHX is excellent, if somewhat ambitious in the case of EDI.

Clearly the local authority funding is kicking in here to secure these routes. A major marketing drive is now needed in conjunction with the Wild Atlantic Way to ensure they are sustainable and not just used by expats like myself.

A really positive announcement though, the first scheduled route addition at the airport in some time.

the first scheduled route addition at the airport in some time.

Reus announced a few days ago?
    Also Izmir last year?
    Prestwick, Eindhoven, Kaunas in 2013?

Also Izmir last year?

Reus is a charter is it not? And in fairness the other routes were 2 years ago and no longer exist...

Six weekly services on EDI and BHX is excellent, if somewhat ambitious in the case of EDI.

Clearly the local authority funding is kicking in here to secure these routes. A major marketing drive is now needed in conjunction with the Wild Atlantic Way to ensure they are sustainable and not just used by expats like myself.

A really positive announcement though, the first scheduled route addition at the airport in some time.

Yes I hope it is marketed well both at home and in BHX and EDI, ticket prices will also have a factor to play here as particularly EDI seems to be very price sensitive

Also Izmir last year?

Reus and Izmir were/are holiday charters really, as was the JFK flight this year. So yes, in terms of scheduled services this is the first route expansion announcement since 2013. Hopefully it is more successful than that one was.

Birmingham is bookable daily now, with a late Sunday flight which is interesting. Manchester is increased to 6pw, no Saturday flight, with mostly early morning flights. Edinburgh is 6pw, no Saturday flight, all afternoon flights.

Edit: Looks to have been a website issue, BHX back at 6pw now.

cgill wrote: »
    Birmingham is bookable daily now, with a late Sunday flight which is interesting. Manchester is increased to 6pw, no Saturday flight, with mostly early morning flights. Edinburgh is 6pw, no Saturday flight, all afternoon flights.

Its good news and makes some of the jobs at Knock more secure. They could really do with making some of these flights early Monday or late Friday as there is lots of local people commuting weekly to those destinations. There is also a large amount of people from the west in Edinburgh University, as there is no fees. Lots of these people might find FlyBE too expensive.

The London flights i have been on recently on Fridays and Mondays have been completely full most of whom were also commuting .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

cgill wrote: »

No saturday flight to Manchester seems strange. Even though it's much more expensive to fly direct to manchester with Flybe than it is to fly to Liverpool and get the bus to manchester with Ryanair, I'd have thought there'd be enough Old Trafford travel to keep that day in operation.

Jayop wrote: »
    No saturday flight to Manchester seems strange. Even though it's much more expensive to fly direct to manchester with Flybe than it is to fly to Liverpool and get the bus to manchester with Ryanair, I'd have thought there'd be enough Old Trafford travel to keep that day in operation.

Most do as you say, cheap Ryanair flight to Liverpool and bus or taxi to Manchester. It arrives in time for the 3pm kick offs, night out and early flight home Sunday.

Most do as you say, cheap flight to Liverpool and bus or taxi to Manchester. It arrives in time for the 3pm kick offs, night out and early flight home Sunday.

It's a tough one to get to for 3pm to be honest. I was there a few weeks back for a 5.30 kick off and we wouldn't have made it in time for the 3pm had we needed to be there for it. By the time you leave your bag in the hotel it's really tight. Traffic was a nightmare that day though for the Terravision bus coming into the city.

I wouldn't risk it for a 3pm again.

Jayop wrote: »

There is only around 5 or 6 games left when the summer schedule kicks in. Little pointless having a Saturday flight when a lot more revenue can be generated flying to France ex MAN for example.

There is only around 5 or 6 games left when the summer schedule kicks in. Little pointless having a Saturday flight when a lot more revenue can be generated flying to France ex MAN for example.

I'm only thinking of myself really. ;)

I see the LGW service will be double daily on the 27th of December, the apron should be busy that day

Locker10a wrote:
    I see the LGW service will be double daily on the 27th of December, the apron should be busy that day

Also on the 22nd of December and 2nd of January (I think those are the dates)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Also Izmir last year?

But Eindhoven was cancelled pretty quickly, after 6 months or so. Strange enough, I was on it several times and it was always full to the brim.

I'd hope they come up with Schiphol from Knock (or Shannon, for that matter) at some point, that'd be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I'll preface this with the note that numbers carried is no indication of money made.

Eindhoven's best month was Aug 2014, 2884 carried out 3402 seats = 84% load factor. July was also good at 80%lf

However for the other months it operated (april, may, june, sept, oct) the average lf was only around 50%, not great!

http://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/Define.asp?maintable=ctm01

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 kerryforsam

can someone local to knock help me out.... i was spotting this evening near the end of 27 and i noticed 2 large orange lights in the distance, they resemble the street lights of a town or a village in the distance but they are quite high and there is only 2, they are to the the south east of the field in the direction of east of ballyhaunis and they appear to be 10-15 miles away, anyone got any idea what they could be

Advertisement