Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock Airport

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Hardly the Gaa centre of excellence floodlights? Nothing else comes to mind really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kerryforsam

hi thanks for the reply but having google'd the location of the centre of excellence on maps in relation to where the runway is, the lights are not the centre of excellence, if you a looking east at the threshold of RWY27 the lights are somewhere between kilmovee and ballangare on that track. the lights themselves are two very tall orange lights and may be a cluster of lights on each pole but they shine considerably brighter and appear taller than standard street lights visible on the horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

It could possibly be castlerea prison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

More positive than negative to be taken from that article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Little contradicting here :
    The pre-tax loss takes account of hefty non-cash depreciation costs of €1.73m. An airport spokesman said that "generally 2015 has been a positive year with strong growth on existing services from Europe and in particular from the UK with growth on UK routes being up in the region of 8pc in 2015".

He said that passenger numbers are forecasted to be flat in 2015, totalling around 685,000 to 700,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Yes and no. Loads are well up year on year on most existing routes. However, due to a number of routes being cancelled that operated in 2014 the overall passenger numbers will be down ('flat' is being kind). Considering the loss of the routes to Gran Canaria, Birmingham, Prestwick, Eindhoven and Kaunas from 2014 if they finish the year with a reduction of less than 20,000 passengers overall that will actually be quite an achievement in the circumstances and will be as a result of significant increases on other routes.

We are actually comparing it to 2015 though, so Cologne was lost? And Izmir was gained?

Yes, Cologne was also lost in addition to the others I listed - I forgot about that one. Six routes that operated in summer 2014 but not summer 2015. I believe the only route gained was the JFK charter (a one off flight). I think Izmir ran in both 2014 and 2015 but I'm open to correction.

The point is - six routes gone from the previous year but the drop in passengers has been very small. I certainly thought there would be a much bigger drop this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Don't know if this is brand new information but I've just been emailed with three new routes. Edinburgh, Birmingham and Costa Dorada.

Leading Tour Operators Falcon & Thomson, part of the TUI Group, have announced they will offer Spain’s Costa Dorada as a new holiday destination direct from Ireland West Airport in Summer 2016. With a weekly flight every Tuesday from June 26th until August 16th,

Flybe, Europe’s largest regional airline have announced a major expansion from Ireland West Airport Knock by introducing two new year round services to Edinburgh and Birmingham. Both services commence on March 27th 2016 and will operate six days per week for the summer season and four days per week during the winter season.

• Advertisement

Been well reported already :)

Long day for anyone on the morning Luton flight either direction today. The plane got stuck in the delays at Dublin earlier this morning and the latest estimated departure time for the Knock flight from Luton is now 8pm tonight, ten hours later than scheduled.

Luton passengers have finally got out of Knock in the last 20 minutes after an 11 hour delay. Knock wouldn't be the best airport to be stuck in for that length of time, especially in today's weather. Nowhere to go and not much to do except hit one of the bars.

Luton passengers have finally got out of Knock in the last 20 minutes after an 11 hour delay. Knock wouldn't be the best airport to be stuck in for that length of time, especially in today's weather. Nowhere to go and not much to do except hit one of the bars.

Rare to see Knock open this late!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Only one bar past security. I have seen people go home and come back later for their flight. All it means is going through security again. Not a big deal in knock.

Knock usually doest operate past 5pm most days. It's the reason its not an emergency landing airport for the north american routes despite it being closer than Shannon.

Early morning Ryanair flights on more than one occasion have been to go in a holding pattern as the tower traffic control haven't arrived in yet.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Knock usually doest operate past 5pm most days. It's the reason its not an emergency landing airport for the north american routes despite it being closer than Shannon.

I don't agree but let's not do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cgill

irishgeo wrote:

I'd expect the runway length is the biggest factor that influences this. Location would probably be a big one too.
    irishgeo wrote:
    Early morning Ryanair flights on more than one occasion have been to go in a holding pattern as the tower traffic control haven't arrived in yet.

This only seems to happen if the flight is running more than 20/30mins early and it's rare enough. The airport is still technically closed so the fire crew etc aren't expected to be ready for flights, that's why the plane would have to hold.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Does anyone know if the Gatwick flight is operating today ?

Locker10a wrote: »

Nope. Not scheduled for today at all it seems.

Locker10a wrote:

There's no Wednesday flight during the month of December and no Tuesday/Thursday flight during January either.

• Advertisement

BE663 diverted to SNN earlier. Coaches expected at 19:30! Ow!

EI-DEO (IRFU livery) inbound on the first of today's two Gatwick flights.

Knock received 2 Ryanair diverts from Dublin yesterday, one of which was planning Shannon but went to Knock due to wind at Shannon too.

Bit of extra business for the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Masala

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Knock received 2 Ryanair diverts from Dublin yesterday, one of which was planning Shannon but went to Knock due to wind at Shannon too.

Bit of extra business for the airport.

Don't know about that.....I wouldn't imagine that Ryanair business on diversion wouldn't be any kind of cash cow???? I wonder is more grief than it worth.??

Masala wrote: »
    Don't know about that.....I wouldn't imagine that Ryanair business on diversion wouldn't be any kind of cash cow???? I wonder is more grief than it worth.??
    Well they would have to pay full landing and handling fees (No discounts) refuel, etc.

Can't see it being much grief, maybe a little extra work for the handling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

FR reduce ALC to 4 months and cut freq, was it that short in 2015?

Jamie2k9 wrote:
    FR reduce ALC to 4 months and cut freq, was it that short in 2015?

No, it's cut this year which is very surprising, it ran from Mar-Sep/Oct last year with a higher frequency I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

cgill wrote: »
    No, it's cut this year which is very surprising, it ran from Mar-Sep/Oct last year with a higher frequency I think.

Yeah it was 3 or 4 weekly peak summer, interesting they have scrapped Derry completely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Can anyone here help me out or am I really loosing my memory!
    For some odd reason I recall there being flights between Knock and Bournmouth a few years ago, am I going mad or did this route ever exist ?

Advertisement