Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

imurdaddy wrote: »
    ya suits me! I just felt compelled to clarify that point.

so any more knock news??

Nothing more than the 100,000 passenvers. in august.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

imurdaddy wrote: »
    The attempting to class Shannon & Knock as like for like is laughable! .......
    Knock is a great service and facilitie for where it is and great employment boost to the areas, but you can not compare it with Dublin or Shannon,....

And this is the reason the mods want to keep such comparison out of this thread as invariably it devolves into a back and forth snipe.
    Granted you did follow my advice and use logic and reasoning in your response without attacking another poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

So any word on the Gatwick route??

If it does go I'll have to fly to Dublin and drive down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Gatwick now seems to be on sale for next summer

Gatwick now seems to be on sale for next summer

Why was it listed on wikipedia as ending then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Why was it listed on wikipedia as ending then?

Because Wikipedia is edited by random people.

MYOB wrote: »
    Because Wikipedia is edited by random people.

Better question is why did this person list the route as ending in march?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The winter season ends and the summer starts at the end of March traditionally

The winter season ends and the summer starts at the end of March traditionally

Not really answering my question.

Better question is why did this person list the route as ending in march?

Because that was when it was bookable to and they made a stupid assumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cgill

Since August, no flights were bookable after March 28th, its great that EI found a way to keep it going despite the base closure. Pity it's going to be an A319 again.

Because that was when it was bookable to and they made a stupid assumption.

Not really a stupid assumption, the base closure and EI's 330 day booking policy as well as there being no gap in the operations for the route made quite a lot of people think that it was the end of the route..

cgill wrote: »
    Pity it's going to be an A319 again.

If you can't fill an a320, why bother having one on the route. I don't see much of a difference in an a319/a320 in terms of being a passenger.

If you can't fill an a320, why bother having one on the route. I don't see much of a difference in an a319/a320 in terms of being a passenger.

Taking August as an example, this is hardly a coincidence:

9180 -A320 (Aug 2014)
    7818 -A319 (Aug 2013)
    9323 -A320 (Aug 2012)
    8653 -A320 (Aug 2011)

On a short route like Knock-Gatwick, the differences between A319 and A320 arent as important for a passenger. But the passenger numbers appear to suffer on a route that can sustain an A320.

Taking August as an example, this is hardly a coincidence:

9180 -A320 (Aug 2014)
    7818 -A319 (Aug 2013)
    9323 -A320 (Aug 2012)
    8653 -A320 (Aug 2011)

On a short route like Knock-Gatwick, the differences between A319 and A320 arent as important for a passenger. But the passenger numbers appear to suffer on a route that can sustain an A320.

An august example is no example. If its able to sustain an a320 for 3 sunmer months, what about the other 9?

An august example is no example. If its able to sustain an a320 for 3 sunmer months, what about the other 9?

It has an A320 this winter too. I expect it's simply an operational reason for the switch and not a reflection of the route performance.

It has an A320 this winter too. I expect it's simply an operational reason for the switch and not a reflection of the route performance.

I don't understand your point.

It is likely that an a320 may not have the load factor in months other than august and that may be the reason the route was downgraded

It could also be the DAA bribing Aer Lingus to get the bigger planes to Its new T2 ;)

It could also be the DAA bribing Aer Lingus to get the bigger planes to Its new T2

Its not.

Its not.

That was more of a sarcastic remark than an honest opinion.

I don't understand your point.

It is likely that an a320 may not have the load factor in months other than august and that may be the reason the route was downgraded

It could also be the DAA bribing Aer Lingus to get the bigger planes to Its new T2

Over 6000 passenger carried in March 2012/13 which could be more suited to an A319 than an A320 but the rest of the year looks to have the capacity for an A320.

My point is that since it will be a W-pattern, based in either Dublin or Belfast, then the DUB or BHD flight may not have the capacity for an A320 which obviously has an affect on the Knock aircraft.

And it's not the big, bad DAA.... :-D

• Advertisement

Over 6000 passenger carried in March 2012/13 which could be more suited to an A319 than an A320 but the rest of the year looks to have the capacity for an A320.

My point is that since it will be a W-pattern, based in either Dublin or Belfast, then the DUB or BHD flight may not have the capacity for an A320 which obviously has an affect on the Knock aircraft.

And it's not the big, bad DAA.... :-D

Thanks for clarifying. It seems that since the a319 was introduced it has been having an adverse effect on belfast, Shannon and knock by reducing capacity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Phew, i dont care what aircraft its on im just glad the route is still going ahead next year!

Locker10a wrote: »
    Phew, i dont care what aircraft its on im just glad the route is still going ahead next year!

What would you think if Ryanair replaced the route?

Thanks for clarifying. It seems that since the a319 was introduced it has been having an adverse effect on belfast, Shannon and knock by reducing capacity.

I frequent the route and i have flown in February on a jam packed 319 and in May and July on the 320 which went out with less than 100 pax!! It can depend but id rather it be an 319 going out full and making money than half empty planes!! I think when ( if ) the LGW base closes it will be a BFS crew as i have a feeling they did it before! Last winter ?

Locker10a wrote: »
    I frequent the route and i have flown in February on a jam packed 319 and in May and July on the 320 which went out with less than 100 pax!! It can depend but id rather it be an 319 going out full and making money than half empty planes!! I think when ( if ) the LGW base closes it will be a BFS crew as i have a feeling they did it before! Last winter ?
    Im surprised they even have a lgw base anymore.

What would you think if Ryanair replaced the route?

I would be happy for anyone to replace the route it's much less the airline and more so the convenience for me that makes it important but I would be sorry to see the shamrock disappear from NOC and I know many frequent fliers on the route who are really happy with the service and timings and I hope the route stays I flew it when it was XL airways and now I fly it with Aer Lingus and I hope the route lasts

Yeah well they are " supposed to close " it but they currently use the crew there for charter work and DUB/ NOC and maybe BHD flights! Nice little base I know some crew there and they have not yet been told when it actually closes apparently or have heard a date but not had it confirmed

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

9180 -A320 (Aug 2014)
    7818 -A319 (Aug 2013)
    9323 -A320 (Aug 2012)
    8653 -A320 (Aug 2011)

......But the passenger numbers appear to suffer on a route that can sustain an A320.
    Well could it be that EI decide to use the A319 when forward bookings are down? EI are quite flexible in their fleet usage, they will switch between A319/320/321 if loads require it and they are able to downguage another route to accomodate.
    In addition it could well be that EI took the decision to standardise their LGW base with A319's and NOC just has to accept that due to the routing system.

They announced closure a few months ago. Closing some time in 2015

Looking at the routes bookable for summer 15 so far, it doesn't look like it will be a record-breaking year for Knock. Birmingham and Liverpool both down to 5-pw. Gran Canaria, Eindhoven, Prestwick, Kaunas and Cologne all removed from airline websites. Manchester not bookable but Flybe are supposed to be reviewing routes there so it's still early days yet. Ryanair have not yet officially announced their summer schedule as they have for all the other Irish airports, so still staying hopeful for some new route announcements...

• Advertisement

Looking at the routes bookable for summer 15 so far, it doesn't look like it will be a record-breaking year for Knock. Birmingham and Liverpool both down to 5-pw. Gran Canaria, Eindhoven, Prestwick, Kaunas and Cologne all removed from airline websites. Manchester not bookable but Flybe are supposed to be reviewing routes there so it's still early days yet. Ryanair have not yet officially announced their summer schedule as they have for all the other Irish airports, so still staying hopeful for some new route announcements...

Kaunas moved to Shannon and cologne looks like it will also be moved to Shannon.

Advertisement