Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Carnacalla wrote: »
    You have far better transport links to Dublin now from galway and I doubt any airlines would put in any routes.

That is not correct when you look at Waterford stuck between Dublin and Cork Airports with a motorway and rail links , anyway we will wait and see , if you could fly Galway to london/Manchester why would you waste two hours driving to Dublin with the hassle of queues etc when you could take a ten minute drive to the Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Storm 10 wrote: »
    That is not correct when you look at Waterford stuck between Dublin and Cork Airports with a motorway and rail links , anyway we will wait and see , if you could fly Galway to london/Manchester why would you waste two hours driving to Dublin with the hassle of queues etc when you could take a ten minute drive to the Airport

Or travel to Shannon. An extra 50mins drive and a €40 fare to London, rather than stobarts €90

Or travel to Shannon. An extra 50mins drive and a €40 fare to London, rather than stobarts €90

If it happens it will be great if not we'll there is Shannon , I still find it hard to believe that we had flights to Dublin, Cork, Belfast, London, Manchester,Edinburgh, Malaga and Lorient

Storm 10 wrote: »
    If it happens it will be great if not we'll there is Shannon , I still find it hard to believe that we had flights to Dublin, Cork, Belfast, London, Manchester,Edinburgh, Malaga and Lorient

How did an atr42/72 make it to Malaga?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It was an Rj85 wet leased from flightline. Also went to Amsterdam

• Advertisement

It was an Rj85 wet leased from flightline. Also went to Amsterdam

That makes sense;)

That makes sense;)

If you log onto Galway Airport website there are pics of it

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

From what I have heard, there is not much hope for galway bar GA and maybe light biz, which to be honest would be better than total closure. It would suit a flight school perfect.

I think the not been able to expand is a major issue and the city council have not helped.

I use to fly Galway a good bit and would like to see it survive.

All though SNN is operating a fleet of Magical Unicorns sourced from mayo! Great success so far maybe something for Galway to consider!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I'm completely serious about Knock always having a market. If I lived in Sligo, I'd always travel to Knock. Because Wexford is probably the place in Ireland furthest from an airport with flights, I value closer airports. This is why I think FlyBe could pull off perhaps a Galway - Manchester/ Birmingham link, although there may be runway issues with a Q400.

man98 wrote: »
    I'm completely serious about Knock always having a market. If I lived in Sligo, I'd always travel to Knock. Because Wexford is probably the place in Ireland furthest from an airport with flights, I value closer airports. This is why I think FlyBe could pull off perhaps a Galway - Manchester/ Birmingham link, although there may be runway issues with a Q400.

For galway to survive on 2 routes, it would need government funding and imagine trying to get that?

• Advertisement

Man we all support our local airport! I used to fly galway cork and shannon if I had to dublin or knock.

But ill be perfectly honest a certain mayo poster on here has put me and countless other people ever using knock again its sad that a boy in a fantasty game world in a basment in Castlebay could effect a airport pax figures. but thats the power of Internet.

my aunts and husband live in headford a group of 5 coples 2hols a year now go snn or dub, Anyway shannon serves the wesr coast perfectly built in the mid west as in equal point on the west coast. You dont only call it west once you reach castlebar! Mayo is more nort west! ;)

knock will have a place but it needs to sell it self sd regional short hops to city break destinations its not now or never will be standards of DUB OR SNN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

For galway to survive on 2 routes, it would need government funding and imagine trying to get that?

Waterford survives on 1 route* for now. No news of anything yet for 2015...
    *Excluding SAR

*Excluding SAR

Waterford has the funding already in place.

*Excluding SAR

Is that a publicly funded route? Also staff costs are tiny. I think small operations such as waterford, sligo, etc are things of the past! Too many airports..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

imurdaddy wrote: »
    Man we all support our local airport! I used to fly galway cork and shannon if I had to dublin or knock.

But ill be perfectly honest a certain mayo poster on here has put me and countless other people ever using knock again its sad that a boy in a fantasty game world in a basment in Castlebay could effect a airport pax figures. but thats the power of Internet....

No need to be insulting to another poster......you were given rope by another mod already.

But ill be perfectly honest a certain mayo poster on here has put me and countless other people ever using knock again its sad that a boy in a fantasty game world in a basment in Castlebay could effect a airport pax figures. but thats the power of Internet.
    I thought you were getting your self sorted this past year, so i cut you alot of slack by letting you rant at will. But getting your self worked up all over again is not doing you any favours. You should really go back to the services. Try and relax a bit, go for a walk, watch some sport(at home). This is only a chatboard after all, remember not everybody will agree with you through life.

I would ask the other Shannon posters here(if again its not you under other aliases) to stop egging you on as understandably they probably are not as aware of your circumstances. Which you have pointed out to me and a few others here in the past.

Mods should know that you have been removed from boards under many guises before as i'm sure they can verify including the physical threats to posters.

Its your own responsibility if your increasing agitation leads to another of your lapses, not mine. Its my last post to you as i'm not responsible for any of your actions, i honestly hope it gets better for you. No hard feelings but Your now on ignore from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cgill

It's disappointing that people are being turned against Knock by this. It's in a time like this that people need to support the local airport as much as possible. Every airport will have their peaks and troughs and it's only through passengers supporting Knock that it will continue to grow. Shannon vs Knock vs Cork can go on forever but the unfairness of it all is the most annoying. At least Cork have had another new route announcement recently, what have Knock had? It's all good and well typing what should be done and what should happen but it's worthless unless someone actually starts doing something about it. Knock has the potential to grow more in the future but will it be allowed to?

cgill wrote: »
    It's all good and well typing what should be done and what should happen but it's worthless unless someone actually starts doing something about it. Knock has the potential to grow more in the future but will it be allowed to?

Its unlikely, its government policy now. I'd love to hear from the government how supporting economic development in the West/North West synergises with Leo Varadkar actions below.

From Dec 2012.
    http://www.irelandwestairport.com/utility/news_archive_details.aspx?id=308
    Knock’s commercial growth meant that in 2012, it managed to fund 92% of its total operating costs with just 8% coming from Government. By contrast, Shannon Airport has losses now reaching €8m per year, even after additional subsidies. The funding of losses at Shannon Airport costs €6.10 per passenger while the comparative figure for Ireland West Airport Knock is just €0.87.

A series of Government statements has indicated that its aviation strategy was focussing on and supporting just one airport. In one such statement it was highlighted that a change in Government policy would be required to stop Knock catching up with Shannon. On 31st March 2012, quoted in the national media, Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar TD said: “If nothing was done for Shannon the airport stood in danger of being passed out by Knock airport in passenger numbers, despite a current gap of over 900,000 passengers… I think if the trends continue as they are it will happen because Shannon’s numbers are already down 20 per cent this year and Knock is still growing. It is only a matter of time without a change in policy.”

This parochial decision by Government to blindly pump cash into one State airport, in the absence of any attention to its impacts on a competing airport like Knock, ignores warnings from the Government’s own aviation advisers at Booz and Co. In their report to Government earlier this year they stated that the Government should not proceed with a support package for Shannon before developing a coherent policy towards airports for the country as a whole.
    The Government has overlooked the understanding entered into over 20 years ago between the State and the people of the West of Ireland. Knock is owned by a not-for-profit Trust which was asked to take on the responsibility of running an airport and additionally to stimulate enterprise and jobs. This understanding was signed into existence as a partnership between State and community of the West of Ireland in 1991.

“In the intervening years Knock grew into in internationally competitive airport employing over 100 people and supporting 900 jobs in the wider region. Throughout 2011/2012 in a time of recession we asked Government to help it make a step change to doubling these benefits for the region,” said Joe Gilmore.

Knock probably will grow again, just expect ryanair to cut a few more routes for 2016 and then tgey will be back again, even stronger than before.

This year was a bumper year for knock, so it's not like Shannon after losing 2.2million is a constant decline. IMO the failure of Shannon and galway was the main cause for the flourish at knock. Don't worry, Shannon will fail again because there is little hope ryr will hold on to all of their routes.

Knock probably will grow again, just expect ryanair to cut a few more routes for 2016 and then tgey will be back again, even stronger than before.

This year was a bumper year for knock, so it's not like Shannon after losing 2.2million is a constant decline. IMO the failure of Shannon and galway was the main cause for the flourish at knock. Don't worry, Shannon will fail again because there is little hope ryr will hold on to all of their routes.

Ryanair will have the resources in a few years to almost have a monopoly on airports/routes outside Dublin.

• Advertisement

Ryanair will have the resources in a few years to almost have a monopoly on airports/routes outside Dublin.

Will they bother though? Would it not be better to expand into eastern Europe or further afield?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I thought you were getting your self sorted this past year, so i cut you alot of slack by letting you rant at will. But getting your self worked up all over again is not doing you any favours. You should really go back to the services. Try and relax a bit, go for a walk, watch some sport(at home). This is only a chatboard after all, remember not everybody will agree with you through life.

I would ask the other Shannon posters here(if again its not you under other aliases) to stop egging you on as understandably they probably are not as aware of your circumstances. Which you have pointed out to me and a few others here in the past.

Mods should know that you have been removed from boards under many guises before as i'm sure they can verify including the physical threats to posters.

Its your own responsibility if your increasing agitation leads to another of your lapses, not mine. Its my last post to you as i'm not responsible for any of your actions, i honestly hope it gets better for you. No hard feelings but Your now on ignore from me.

That has to be one of the most patronizing posts I've read on here in some time. You've been infracted for back seat modding,cut the crap or you'll be banned permanently from A&A.

Another laughable post! makie upie little tails, I told nothing but the truth in my post unlike yours which is another crazy rant which you post history is filled with! any unstable little mind if my post sends you over the edge.

made up tails and insults dont bother me, just weaken your arguments.

Another laughable post! makie upie little tails, I told nothing but the truth in my post unlike yours which is another crazy rant which you post history is filled with! any unstable little mind if my post sends you over the edge.

made up tails and insults dont bother me, just weaken your arguments.

Can people on here ever stop the arguments?
    Mayomaffia now has an infraction, they cannot respond to your posts so I recommend not attacking their posts (however laughable they may be).Not everything is about having the last word...

We don't want this tread locked, so we need to stop this Shannon vs Knock (I will also take my own advice).

Can people on here ever stop the arguments?
    Mayomaffia now has an infraction, they cannot respond to your posts so I recommend not insulting them and leaving them unable to respond.

Not everything is about having the last word...

I did not insult him.

lets move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

Flew out of Knock on Friday evening. I'd never even heard of the Development Charge before then. Why this isn't included in the Ryanair fare is beyond me.

I was forced to fly back to Belfast yesterday night though, and got a lift straight to Knock to collect my car from the car park. I was greeted by a locked gate, and not a soul in sight. There are no signs outside the car park indicating it's opening hours, and being an airport, in 2014, you'd kind of expect 24 hour access, right? Nope.

What is wrong with a security barrier, I don't know. Seems to work fine everywhere else. It's not even secure, either. A bolt cutters would have seen me into the car park, but I don't carry one around in my pocket. I'm regretting not just abandoning my car in the rental car park.

Opening hours listed outside. No
    Opening hours listed clearly online? No. (It's a single line on the web page, after you click into "Read more"
    Phone number to ring? No.
    Security office around? No.
    I remotely set my car alarm off too, to maybe attract a security guard. Nothing.

There's a 24 hour petrol station not five minutes away, and yet the airport won't even allow customers to access their own cars in an emergency. That is a complete joke of an operation in my opinion, and I image others will agree.

(Actually, nor is passenger security even remotely up to standard. Not by a long shot, but going into details on the internet probably isn't the best idea)

Glad as I was of the location at the time, an airport that has to further levy passengers, for inadequate service is doomed to fail. Aside from travelling back to get my car today, I will choose the drive to Dublin or Belfast every single time in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Flew out of Knock on Friday evening. I'd never even heard of the Development Charge before then. Why this isn't included in the Ryanair fare is beyond me.

Its an airport charge isn't it? So Ryanair have nothing to do with it.

vkid wrote: »
    Its an airport charge isn't it? So Ryanair have nothing to do with it.

Its very very stupid regardless, and it will prevent passengers from returning. People will be pissed off with it when they are just asked for a tenner on top of paying their fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cgill

If you're not flying into the airport you can hardly expect them to be waiting for you outside operational hours to collect your car?! I agree a sign with opening hours may be necessary, so send the airport an email so that they can address this - they can't improve without feedback! At the very least, there is an information desk which you could have rang to find out the required info... It's not feasible for the airline to collect the development fee and as far as I know there is a notice when you are booking. An airport of Knock's size needs this money to fund improvements, Galway started to do it too but it was too late to make any difference for them...if you need to fly through Knock then it shouldnt be an issue and you would pay that much in fuel going to Dublin or Shannon anyway.

• Advertisement

cgill wrote: »
    If you're not flying into the airport you can hardly expect them to be waiting for you outside operational hours to collect your car?! I agree a sign with opening hours may be necessary, so send the airport an email so that they can address this - they can't improve without feedback! At the very least, there is an information desk which you could have rang to find out the required info... It's not feasible for the airline to collect the development fee and as far as I know there is a notice when you are booking. An airport of Knock's size needs this money to fund improvements, Galway started to do it too but it was too late to make any difference for them...if you need to fly through Knock then it shouldnt be an issue and you would pay that much in fuel going to Dublin or Shannon anyway.

If you lived in or around galway, the €10 is probably a deciding factor.

Advertisement