Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tomato curling purple leaves!!!!

Options
  • 15-05-2012 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I hope someone can give me an idea what is going wrong with my tomato plants. I have ten tomato plants in my polytunnel. Over the last weeks the leaves have started curling up and dark purple spots appearing on them. The weather has been quite cold at night (5 Celsius or so) maybe this has something to do with it. The link is to access pictures of the plants. I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks
    CJ

https://plus.google.com/photos/110186366240502381965/albums/5742880996167132641

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

would think it is weather related....inward leaf curl at this time is most probably a result of high temp differential (mid-20's during day to low single figures at night) the purple colour is probably a temporary phosphorus deficency due to temp also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Definately the cold, but may also be nutrient related as mentioned above. May should have been fine to plant out into a tunnel but its been too cold. I am still moving mine in and out of the house wich is a nightmare! Are you covering them with fleece at night? They need extra protection. Have you got min/max thermometer? They are great for getting an idea of what is going on in the tunnel at night. See if you can wrap them up at night, leaf curl isn't terminal and they should still produce fruit but have probably had a good knock back. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cjgalway

Thank you for your replies. I think ye both are right about the cold weather at night affecting the plants. I have read that in cold weather conditions the plants have issues adsorbing phosphorus. I wonder if I put an oil filled electric radiator in there and set it the thermostat to its lowest level would it be able to keep the temp up a bit. I must get one of those max/min thermometers to find out how low it is actually going. What should the min night temp be? Hopefully the weather will improve soon. Thanks for the help

CJ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I've read that 10 is good for toms but they can take lower. You just dont want that going on too long. We've been getting those low temps week after week so it's bound to hurt them.
    On heating, would depend on the size of your tunnel - worth a test but watch electric cables outdoors and all that. Could get expensive.

Advertisement