Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating internal door on partition wall

• 15-05-2012 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

How difficult would it be to relocate a door to the right (as per the pic below)? I don't plan on doing it myself but not sure how hard it would be to done professionally (otherwise I'll never get the partner approval stamp!). Not even sure what it would entail

521363_440055782690356_100000578137420_1512560_1219193268_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

is it a block wall or timber partition?

if its timber then its not that big of a job,just a case of takin out the door frame putting timbers in and plaster boarding it up..then cutting out the new door and installing it..any cood chippy should wipe it out fairly handy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

if its timber then its not that big of a job,just a case of takin out the door frame putting timbers in and plaster boarding it up..then cutting out the new door and installing it..any cood chippy should wipe it out fairly handy.....

Oops, should have said it was timer (as in plasterboard with wooden frame). That's good to know then, that it can be done easily without any major disruption. A rather silly question follows, am afraid! What sort of tradesman do I look for? not sure if it's something a carpenter or maybe a builder

A carpenter would be your best bet..you should be able to get a good deal nowa days...tell him you'll help wit the labor and tha should knock a few quid off the price,you will need to get the wall replastered afterwards but one again this wont be to expensive...oh and oops shoulda told ya a chippy is a carpenter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Not my business, but I would have thought that the door is ideally placed as is, and the relocated position would look odd ? You obviously have a reason for the move?

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. dodzy - yeah, it's ideally placed at the moment but the room is being converted to a cinema and I can't place projector left or right of current door position as the lens shift won't reach across sufficiently! Meantime I can drop the projector slightly via a bar from the ceiling but then it's over our heads and right in front of the door as you walk in, which isn't idea. The perfect spot would be on a shelf, about the height of the light switch, right in the middle of the current door!

Whether I can talk my missus is granting planting permission is another story ...

haha put your boot through the plasterboard to the right of the door "by accident" and then she`ll have to agree

Hah! Great idea, I could do a Borat on it (like that scene in the antique shop) and keep falling through, sledge hammer in hand, making a complete mess. It'll just so happen there's a carpenter en route too :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Could you mount the projector on the back of the door? As you will be sitting down the door will be closed anyway...

You know, I seriously never once thought of that! I think you could be onto something. It's funny, my immediate thought, when this challenge presented itself at the duly appointed hour, was "This door has got to go". It never occurred to me that I could just mount it to the door, I'll have to look into that, thanks!

• Advertisement

ah thought out like a man,got a problem,smash down the wall!!,on the door could be a bit dodgy if the door gets slammed it might break the projector,they can be sensitive ol things...

ah thought out like a man,got a problem,smash down the wall!!,on the door could be a bit dodgy if the door gets slammed it might break the projector,they can be sensitive ol things...

Yeah, you're right. I've thought about how I could fit to door and it's just too risky, better off mounting off ceiling with a long bar for now and thinking about moving door in the future

worked on a house once and the guy had a cinema room and the feckin projector used to lower down from a compartment in the ceiling, twas mad....his cinema room was bigger than my feckin house...anyhoo back to the subject at hand...could ya not just get a stand for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Easy job. It will be messy though - dust, plastering, repainting.

Get a good carpenter, he'll do the lot.

Nice man-cave you got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Don't forget you will need an electrician to move that light switch also!

Advertisement