Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different this time around

Options
  • 16-05-2012 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi,

I only found out two weeks ago that I am pregnant. This is not my first child but it is for my boyfriend. He wants me to go private to make sure that all is well with me and the baby. A bit too over protective already with me.

I have used the public way before and would be happy to use it again as I was extremely happy with the nurses and doctors in The Lourdes, Drogheda but as I said he wants me to go private no matter what the cost is.

Has anyone any experience going private while pregnant
    What are the pros and cons to it.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Don't think there are many cons of going private to be honest... The cost would be the biggest one. You're not guaranteed a private room after the birth, first come, first served basis.

You will be treated the same as every other woman who is in labour, it's just the antenatal care that will be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

Have you any preference for your deliver e.g. do you want a section? if so, then you have more sway when you go private. I wanted a section and I got a section.

Also the waiting times are quicker during the scheduled appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Some people prefer having the same doctor all the time but there is no guarantee that will happen. I have heard a lot of women recently who have paid to go private for that reason alone have had to make do with other doctors at times. I don't really see the advantage tbh, keep you insurance for when the child is born, you never know when you might need it.

eviltwin wrote: »
    keep you insurance for when the child is born

I dont understand this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Is it because of the hospital? I don't mean to be scaremongering or anything, but is that why your boyfriend is so insistent?

• Advertisement

I dont understand this?

I'm saying the quality of maternity care is great if you go public unlike the rest of the health system. Touch wood it won't happen but if the child or another member of the family needed medical treatment for something it would be better to hold on to the insurance for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Have you any preference for your deliver e.g. do you want a section? if so, then you have more sway when you go private. I wanted a section and I got a section.

Also the waiting times are quicker during the scheduled appointments.

Did your insurance cover the section? Just wondering in case I'm crazy enough to have another :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I'm saying the quality of maternity care is great if you go public unlike the rest of the health system. Touch wood it won't happen but if the child or another member of the family needed medical treatment for something it would be better to hold on to the insurance for that.

Insurance doesn't stop covering just because you make a claim. As long as you are paying your premium you are covered so whether or not she goes private will not effect it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would be delighted and accepting the offer happily.
    There are no cons of going private except the cost.

Lola92 wrote: »
    Insurance doesn't stop covering just because you make a claim. As long as you are paying your premium you are covered so whether or not she goes private will not effect it.

Does it not have an effect on the premium next time you go to renew?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Not as far as I know, you renew your insurance cover it is generally the same unless there have been increases over all in the company (of which there have been many in recent years!). I am under a company policy with Quinn at the moment, and previously have been with VHI. It may be different for a standard policy but I doubt it, otherwise no one would ever claim back for their GP visits, dentist, opticians etc. and the whole thing would just be pointless then anyway.

Lola92 wrote: »
    Not as far as I know, you renew your insurance cover it is generally the same unless there have been increases over all in the company (of which there have been many in recent years!). I am under a company policy with Quinn at the moment, and previously have been with VHI. It may be different for a standard policy but I doubt it, otherwise no one would ever claim back for their GP visits, dentist, opticians etc. and the whole thing would just be pointless then anyway.

Ah you're probably right. I was thinking it was like car insurance, make a claim and they milk you next year when you renew. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

Going private doesn't affect your renewal cost of insurance. I was private last year and going private again for baby no.2 and there was no difference in price except for the general rise in health insurance costs....i just switched from vhi to aviva this year. I think going private also depends on the hospital you're attending. I'm going to UCH Galway. It is extremely busy and you get one scan at 20 -24 weeks if public. A friend is going public in Castlebar and has had a scan at 12 weeks and told she'll get 2 more.

Did your insurance cover the section? Just wondering in case I'm crazy enough to have another :D

Yep

I'm saying the quality of maternity care is great if you go public.

dunno about that. I have heard a lot of cases whereby people brought in to be induced who were public were left languishing for days whereas those who were brought in for the same procedure but private were managed much better. I personally believe public is GRAND if all goes well but you are better off private if there are any complications. Just my humble opinion based in friends experiences... There will be exceptions of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

dunno about that. I have heard a lot of cases whereby people brought in to be induced who were public were left languishing for days whereas those who were brought in for the same procedure but private were managed much better. I personally believe public is GRAND if all goes well but you are better off private if there are any complications. Just my humble opinion based in friends experiences... There will be exceptions of course.

Just to completely disagree with this: I'm going public: I'm 32 weeks pregnant, have been kept in hospital 5 times and spent nearly a month in hospital between it all... I meet my consultant at almost every visit and have had 8 scans... If you have any problems public or private you will be treated the same: everyone attends the same high risk clinic here anyway, and considering the amount of time I've spent in hosp I have seen absolutely no difference in the care at all.

And I have health insurance and would normally go private not public for everything. Claiming on it definately doen't affect the cost of premiums: I've claimed more every year than I've paid out :)

Saying that: I'm attending Kerry if I had a choice of a private hospital it might be different...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 frankie1

You mentioned that you are going to the Lourdes Drogheda. Would you not consider the MLU there. I had baby there and it is excellent providing you have a low risk pregnancy and no underlying health problems. You really get to know the midwives and are less likely to have any medical interventions. Personally i wouldn't waste my money on private.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Does it not have an effect on the premium next time you go to renew?

Nope.

Advertisement