Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to buy a 120hz monitor

Options
  • 16-05-2012 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a 120hz monitor and i'm a little unsure of what to go for.

There seems to be a big difference in price between the likes of this samsung one here and the alienware one i can't remember the name of (aw2310 i think it is).

also with regards to 3D is it best to get a 3D one now? can the 3D aspect of them be turned off and use them normally too?
    thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Do you have a rig that can play games at higher than 60FPS? If not, then there isn't much of a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Sure do. Have a gtx580, 2500k, 4gb ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

In my opinion, 3D is a gimmick, I don't like it when movies use it, and I certainly don't like it when games use it.
    Have you had a look through the Catleap monitor thread? Around the same price as the one you linked, but its a much higher resolution and I think its IPS too. It can be overclocked to 120Hz as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I purchased this recently, its a fantastic screen http://www2.hardwareversand.de/58+cm+%2823%29+/50528/Samsung+SyncMaster+S23A700D+3D+inkl.+3D-Brille.article

The advantage it has over other screens is that you are not tied down to nvidia or ATI for 3D (although the 3rd party 3d drivers aren't quite as good apparently). The price is good and it comes with glasses and gets positive reviews

120hz is worth it IMO, even if you don't have a super computer, just because you can't max Skyrim at 120fps doesn't mean your aren't getting the benefit in older games, or when a game is running at 80fps or even inside Windows with smoother scrolling.

The catleap gets good reviews, but I think getting 120hz is conditional on a few things, so I would be careful about that.

Advertisement