Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF2 turbo snes

Options
  • 16-05-2012 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry guys this is probably a ridiculously stupid post :)

Im looking for a way to combat Ryu or Kens high kick vs Guile. I play as Guile and a friend as Ryu and besides the flash kick in close kombat nothing I do seems to combat that kick whether im standing or in the air.

Thanks

P.s. I can beat him using Ryu or Vega etc, but Guile is my fave and I wanna make him a family man :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

lol, well, first things first you're going to have to clarify what you mean by a high kick.

AFAIR Ryu is a disadvantage match for Guile in hyper fighting, although I am certainly no expert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

lol, well, first things first you're going to have to clarify what you mean by a high kick.

AFAIR Ryu is a disadvantage match for Guile in hyper fighting, although I am certainly no expert.

Trigger R on default, afaik its the high kick, and I mean when hes in the air. Basically what happens is he knocks me down and attacks with that kick ( i have no time to charge even if i charge before being kicked down ) and he hits me when I crouch, I block then he uses ducks and uses the same kick to try trip me, and I block, then he walks into me and throws me.. And keeps doing that

Just to clarify I'm not a sf idiot lol - But this seems flawed, maybe thats why the "pros" claim the snes versions are broken

nuxxx wrote: »
    Trigger R on default, afaik its the high kick, and I mean when hes in the air. Basically what happens is he knocks me down and attacks with that kick ( i have no time to charge even if i charge before being kicked down ) and he hits me when I crouch, I block then he uses ducks and uses the same kick to try trip me, and I block, then he walks into me and throws me.. And keeps doing that

To clarify, what you're asking is that he gets a knock down, then jumps in with a jumping hard kick?

I can't see frame data anywhere so I don't know if there's reversals in Sf2 Turbo, but if there is you most definitely have the time to flash kick him on wake up. Otherwise just block high, then low to sto phis sweep (there's no overheads in HF).

If he's performing a mix up with a sweep or tick throw on the ground (which isn't broken, just offensive play) sure just flash kick him then too, it'll definitely beat him. He'll have to learn to play safer and not be so aggressive. It's just all about timing (which is strict in these old SF games).

but if there is you most definitely have the time to flash kick him on wake up. Otherwise just block high, then low to sto phis sweep (there's no overheads in HF).

There isnt enuff time for a flash kick in the first instance, i just wake up from the ground and when i do , i flask kick but his High kick is already on my face, so I block it then he tries to sweep and I block and he just walks into me and throws me, and repeat, all this happens straight from a corner, on spawn if I flash kick he waits and leaps, or we both spam a projectile attack and he walks over it. Even if it he does his high kick beats my flash kick if its late, and in mid position both take even damage. I need to charge and he just spams fireballs and has an advantage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Wouldn't there be enough time between blocking the sweep and him walking up to through to mash out a quick jab or flash kick to hit him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Welcome to the forum! Wanting to go home and be a family man is an admirable quality.

I think two bad habits that I needed to get out of personally when I started taking SF2 a bit more seriously was
    "Why would I ever do anything that wasn't a special move?" and if I was slumming it enough to not use a special move
    "Why would I ever press a button that wasn't hard punch or hard kick?".

I don't know if you're doing the same thing, but the answer to those questions are "Sometimes a characters normals are better than their specials" and "The weaker normal attacks are way faster/safer than hard punch/hard kick"

In your specific example, I don't know how good Guile's Flash kick is in HF at actually hitting and knocking dudes out of the air (it's properties change a lot between different games), but I'm fairly certain that Guile's crouching hard punch is great at stopping people from jumping too much.

Similarly Ryu's crouching hard kick generally comes out quickly, but there's a long enough period afterwards where Ryu can't block or move after he does it, where you should be able to hit him with your own attack (Flash kick?). If you end up hitting your friend after blocked crouching hard kick, you can be sure your friend is going to stop doing them.

Last point is Ryu walking up and throwing you while you're blocking. This is the time (as Vyze said), where you want to be pressing buttons. If you can't flash kick him as he's walking forward, just mash on crouching light punch, and you should hit him as he walks forward 100% of the time.

I think if you try applying these to the specific points we're talking about, you'll be winning more often than not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Jumpin roundhouse to sweep is just too powerful!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

bush wrote: »
    Jumpin roundhouse to sweep is just too powerful!

I think it's every fighting game player's "first combo".

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

I think it's every fighting game player's "first combo".
    And everyone's first strategy is throwing a fireball, then anti-airing as the opponent jumps over it. I love how both that combo and the strategy are pretty much a shared thing that everyone discovers first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I don't think low fierce is very good anti air in HF. Even if it was, using antiair normals on your wakeup doesn't generally work very well.

I very much doubt you can punish ryu's sweep with flash kick.

If you're having trouble getting the flash kick out, I'd say your best option is to block the jumpin and the sweep, then poke him with crouching medium kick or sweep as he walks forward, or throw a sonic boom to relieve the pressure.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I very much doubt you can punish ryu's sweep with flash kick.

That wasn't what I thought he meant. To me it sounded like the problem he was having was that his friend was using a wake up jump in, which I have no idea if flash kick would work against (even if he is playing at a low enough speed to react with it), then his friend would mix up with either a sweep or a tick throw (there's no teching in HF so that's a lot stronger than, say, 4).

I was saying my dear old friend the unsafe flash kick might be handy if he's ALWAYS going for one of those two options. Flash kick on the first possible frame after blocking the jump in.

Once again, this might not work because of blocking the jump attack high, especially if playing on speed 10 (the game's supposed to be played on speed 4 or 5 if memory serves, you just can't play at 10 with reactions or good timing imo).

That wasn't what I thought he meant. To me it sounded like the problem he was having was that his friend was using a wake up jump in

I was replying to Uberprinny.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I was replying to Uberprinny.

WELL THEN I WILL ARGUE FOR NO REASON!

*storms off*

Thanks for the replies, just need to practise more I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Shoutouts to actual meaty attacks.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Shoutouts to actual meaty attacks.

That get beaten by reversal throw.

Advertisement