Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Quality, Family Friendly Restaurant

Options
  • 16-05-2012 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey!

So I'm looking for a nice restaurant to go to. My parents will be meeting my partner's parents, so I'd like something a bit fancy, but it also needs to be young-person friendly since my 11 year-old sister will be along as well, and I'd rather her not be bored stiff if I can help it! Though she'll eat just about anything so menu doesn't necessarily have to have sausage & chips on it :D

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Whelp.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Where are you for starters? Are they all meat eaters, I'd recommend FXB's in templebar but the pictures on the wall could freak your little sister out, Mulligans grocer in Stoneybatter is a hidden gem I think http://www.lmulligangrocer.com/ , loads of places to choose from, at that kind of meal you want to lord it up, where's between both parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Whelpling

Oops!

I'm in Cabra, but anywhere in the city is fine really. My parents are coming from the UK, so will be staying with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Whelpling wrote: »
    Hey!

So I'm looking for a nice restaurant to go to. My parents will be meeting my partner's parents, so I'd like something a bit fancy, but it also needs to be young-person friendly since my 11 year-old sister will be along as well, and I'd rather her not be bored stiff if I can help it! Though she'll eat just about anything so menu doesn't necessarily have to have sausage & chips on it :D

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Whelp.
    When my parents myself and my wife had our parents get together, before we got married, we took them to The Bull & Castle.

It's nice and informal, has lovely food, and is reasonably priced.

That was in Late January or early Feb of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Hard rock , Planet Hollywood or Frankies are all family friendly and have a decent Menu.
    My Suggestion would be Frankies.

Hard rock , Planet Hollywood or Frankies are all family friendly and have a decent Menu.
    My Suggestion would be Frankies.

Is there a planet hollywood in Dublin?

You could go somewhere like Luigi Malones in temple bar, I haven't been in years but I know a few people who seem to love it. I would imagine with an 11 year old that most restaurants would be suitable tbh.

• Advertisement

Is there a planet hollywood in Dublin?

Sorry just realised its gone :(
    Well Captain Americas is also another good one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Sorry just realised its gone :(
    Well Captain Americas is also another good one

+1 on Captain Americas. My kids love it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Mrios Ranelagh or Terenure, everyone seems to like th Marios restaurants:)I wouldnt say its fancy,its just normal. Nice atmosphere in both though.
    Rolys in Dundrum and Rolys in Ballsbridge would suit most people even 11 yr olds, its a bit more expansive and fancy than marios but still wont break the bank.
    Siam thai in dundrum is excellent too as is ananda, both are fairly fancy have great food but arent too expesnive well siam thai isnt anyway.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

+1 on Captain Americas. My kids love it

but adults would hate it cos its horrible

I was going to suggest, the Bull and Castle at Christchurch as well.

great food, service and very relaxed with a great beer/whisky choice.

as my husband said there, we bought parents there the first time they met.

irishbird wrote: »
    but adults would hate it cos its horrible

Adults would hate it? Got some research to follow this up with?
    Its down to the persons taste, They may love that type of food, OP the list of establishments is endless, depends on their tastes etc.

Take 5 names from the above pop them into tripadvisor & yelp, if they have a ranking of 4 or more stars then the food is top notch, if they rank under 4 then dine at your risk.
    If they have no reviews it means either they are new, not well known or they are ok.
    A reviewer will give bad feedback on a experience alot quicker then they will with good feedback so the above sites should help.

• Advertisement

Adults would hate it? Got some research to follow this up with?

To be fair, the OP did ask for somewhere a bit "fancy" and Captain Americas is far from that.

To be fair, the OP did ask for somewhere a bit "fancy" and Captain Americas is far from that.

I don't want to drag this off topic as it will be of no use to the poster but they do fancy food, just not fancy surroundings, You may say well whats fancy about a burger or a steak - how there made is , what there made with and the care that goes into making them.

Burger King - Not Fancy, Gourmet Burger - Fancy, Eddie Rockets - Not Fancy, Frankies - Fancy.
    All do the same type of food except they do it better and charge more.

As I said too best thing to do is find out what they like, take 5 suggestions and do a review search.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Gourmet Burger - Fancy

Erm, OK. :o

Or you could try Marco Pierre Whites (Fitzers), One Pico or Peploes.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I don't want to drag this off topic as it will be of no use to the poster but they do fancy food, just not fancy surroundings, You may say well whats fancy about a burger or a steak - how there made is , what there made with and the care that goes into making them.

Burger King - Not Fancy, Gourmet Burger - Fancy, Eddie Rockets - Not Fancy, Frankies - Fancy.
    All do the same type of food except they do it better and charge more.

As I said too best thing to do is find out what they like, take 5 suggestions and do a review search.

well, may be your idea of fancy is very different to mine.

Eddie Rockets gourmet burger:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

What about Roly's Bistro in Ballsbridge - an endless favourite for this sort of thing. Good value, good service, good location - probably dont do burgers and chips which unusually most people on here seem to be recommending for a family meal out.

Advertisement