Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Shepherds or other large energetic dogs?

• 16-05-2012 1:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

I was wondering how many people cope with looking after a big dog while ye go to work? Where do ye keep them? Do they get much attention/exercise? Looking for answers preferably from people who live alone? Just thinking about re-homing a GSD bitch over 10 months old, advice would be much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I keep my gsd in the hall while I'm in work. He has a lab to keep him company though and I leave a few kongs out for them to play with. I have a big back garden but if I put them outside they do be in bits when I get home because when it rains they go dance in the mud rather than go under their shelter. I'm hoping to clear out a big shed this summer and stick a dog flap in it so they can have the freedom of the big garden and a big indoor space too while I'm working.

I got the lab specifically to keep him company. He's a lot more content now. Leaving him alone during the day wasn't good for him.

If you need to leave him alone during the day I'd suggest walking him before work, that way he'll sleep most of the day and wont have loads of energy and nothing to do. Also helps if you have family or someone near by and they can drop in during the day to either walk him or else just sit with him and give him some company for half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johnk1960

I've an 8 year old male GSD (since he was a pup). Getting him was one of my best decisions.

While I was working he had to fit in with my lifestyle, so had to stay in the house alone through the day. I'd give him a 20 minute walk and feed him before I left. Initially there were some hissy fits and probably boredom, scratching the wall and chewing stuff he shouldn't of, but he did get used to it. Not ideal but worked out in the end.

He stays in the house and some rooms are out of bounds with doors shut and handles he can't open, otherwise gets the run of the place. Obviously, leave food and water and make sure the dog gets out to use the toilet before being left. Toys are an option, particularly things to chew but he made short work of them. Also bones! Ask the butcher for big beef marrow bones cut into 4" lengths.

You may have a few problems but most dogs will get used to it - their characters are as different as people, but GSDs are just the best. Have a backup plan that is fair to the dog if the worst comes to the worst. Also be prepared for some people's negative reactions to big dogs.

I'd say go for it, be patient and persist and you should be ok. It probably depends more on the kind of person you are than the dog. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Aww thank you very much for both yer stories! Thats exactly the sort of information i was hoping for. Thanks to ye both! :)

Advertisement