Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Triathlon Talk in Cycle Superstore Tonight

• 16-05-2012 8:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Liam Dolan, triathlete, demi God, very handsome man, will be giving a talk tonight in the Cycle Superstore at 7:30 about how he trained from being utterly useless to just useless! USN Nutrition will be on hand with some samples.

No rotten fruit, throw something heavier!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Knew I should have gotten out of bed and done my cycle thismorning instead of putting it off till after work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

kingQuez wrote: »
    Knew I should have gotten out of bed and done my cycle thismorning instead of putting it off till after work!

Just drop the bike session, sure you're a very good cyclist already.

Need to keep my bike advantage over you cos you hammer my run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Might try get to this as i need to learn "being utterly useless to just useless":) and see how it is done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

When are you doing the talk that will progress me to utterly useless? Baby steps and all that...

• Advertisement

Just drop the bike session, sure you're a very good cyclist already.

I would have had you you know... I blame RQ, she stole the element of surprize from me :D

On second thoughts I may have to pass on the talk and go sit on the turbo trainer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

How did this go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Ayone care to give an executive summary for those of us not in or around the Pale? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I believe a bike was shown and that bike showed extensive use after only being a few month old. powermeter and polar pedal meter at the bike not in working order a fan of his reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

peter kern wrote: »
    I believe a bike was shown and that bike showed extensive use after only being a few month old. powermeter and polar pedal meter at the bike not in working order a fan of his reported.

So train hard and reap the rewards! :D

• Advertisement

Train hard, train with purpose, rest hard, sleep alot, eat well. Drink the odd pint, eat the odd treat, don't ignore the other half. Kids come first. Use gadets and gizmos if you want, don't if you don't want.

shave your legs in an ice bath ;)

shave your legs in an ice bath ;)

So quite a few boardsies there.

I was the one with "Tunney" written on my club hoodie :)

I was in disguise, felt out of place with all the fast looking people :)

Should have introduced yourself KQ i was they guy who looked like he was about 12 years old!!

Glad i made the drive down. His take on Ironman is a straightforward one and not a sciency approach either. It obviously works for him.

EDIT: I am on the a similar path for my own training so its always good to see how others at the pointier end approach it.

http://www.nl4s.com/Compression-Arm-Sleeves-Compression-Sleeves-Zensah-p/zen-6020.htm

i think those would help to look the part ;-) compresion arm socks,
    an absolute must have in the 2012 tri fashion .

Should have introduced yourself KQ i was they guy who looked like he was about 12 years old!!

Glad i made the drive down. His take on Ironman is a straightforward one and not a sciency approach either. It obviously works for him.

EDIT: I am on the a similar path for my own training so its always good to see how others at the pointier end approach it.

I wanted to measure JB on the kids height measuring contraption downstairs in CCS but they said it didn't do toddlers.

tunney wrote: »
    I wanted to measure JB on the kids height measuring contraption downstairs in CCS but they said it didn't do toddlers.

Was that after you purposely tried to scald me with the coffee machine? It would appear that if i am considered a short ass you are in the same boat:)

Was that after you purposely tried to scald me with the coffee machine? It would appear that if i am considered a short ass you are in the same boat:)

I was kneeing down.

Doh, I didn't twig that there were so many boards people there lastnight. I'll have to find a race to meet you all sometime :)

I just remembered another great tip from the talk. To determine if you need to lose weight, forget about body fat% stuff.... instead tense your muscles and jump up and down infront of a mirror. If anything wobbles, lose more weight.

Which reminds me... Liam mentioned someone that was a fast runner, and had improved a lot after losing some more weight, but that his biking had probably suffered as a result. Presumably thats as a result of muscle loss right? How do you know when you're too light vs. when you're just being a lazy git on the bike? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Which reminds me... Liam mentioned someone that was a fast runner, and had improved a lot after losing some more weight, but that his biking had probably suffered as a result. Presumably thats as a result of muscle loss right? How do you know when you're too light vs. when you're just being a lazy git on the bike? :)

Watts per kg... ;)

And take a pic of this graph and focus on moving up the ladder of FTP! ;)
    http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2009/07/just-how-good-are-these-guys/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Pity i was hungover to bits and still in bed! Would have liked to have made this!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

http://www.nl4s.com/Compression-Arm-Sleeves-Compression-Sleeves-Zensah-p/zen-6020.htm

i think those would help to look the part ;-) compresion arm socks,
    an absolute must have in the 2012 tri fashion .

On this subject. I was doing a half marathon last weekend and I have to say it's no wonder that some triathletes manage to give the rest of us a bad name. There was a couple of stooks fully rigged out in bright tri suits, calf guards and luminous zoots. They looked like extras from the aerobics on GMTV in the 80's. Worst part of all was that not one of the clowns were any good.
    Gerry Duffy was there and that man doesn't need all that crap. It looked ridiculous and I found myself cringing looking at them.

but the tri magazine told them it would make them fast ........

but the tri magazine told them it would make them fast ........

Nothing beats running a 40 minute 5 miler in the park in compression socks, racers and a tri suit with IRL on it. Just so everyone knows you "represented your country like".

I hope they use the zone 3 Ireland tri suits from 2010. The sizing of those tri suits really looks the part.

Just decided I am racing in my club suit in Roth. No way am i giving the opportunity for Tunney to rip the piss out of me:) Seems they have relaxed the ETU uniform rules this year.

Just decided I am racing in my club suit in Roth. No way am i giving the opportunity for Tunney to rip the piss out of me:) Seems they have relaxed the ETU uniform rules this year.

Thats probably because the whole AG racing, for long course in particular, is a total and utter joke. Farcial comes to mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Rawhead wrote: »
    On this subject. I was doing a half marathon last weekend and I have to say it's no wonder that some triathletes manage to give the rest of us a bad name. There was a couple of stooks fully rigged out in bright tri suits, calf guards and luminous zoots. They looked like extras from the aerobics on GMTV in the 80's. Worst part of all was that not one of the clowns were any good.
    Gerry Duffy was there and that man doesn't need all that crap. It looked ridiculous and I found myself cringing looking at them.

Woah nowt wrong with wearing pretty shoes and still being crap and slow. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

I just remembered another great tip from the talk. To determine if you need to lose weight, forget about body fat% stuff.... instead tense your muscles and jump up and down infront of a mirror. If anything wobbles, lose more weight.

There's only one bit of me that I can tense hard enough so that it doesn't jiggle when I jump up and down and I ain't loosing weight off that no matter how faster it makes me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I dont think that club gear will save the piss being ripped out of you :-P

Advertisement