Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats and collars?

• 16-05-2012 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

I have a cat and i am mulling over buying him a new collar because i'm wondering can they do more harm than good.

He came in the door yesterday with his chain wrapped around his front paw and neck, it was so tight i had to cut it off. I also can't seem to find a decent collar any where, they all seem to be to big and in general sh*t. I'm trying to find a regular plain collar with the individual holes like a belt but every pet shop seem to have these fancy ones that are no good and always to big.

I used to have a plain-ish collar but he got that caught in something as well and i'm just wondering if they are worth the danger.

My worry is he'll get caught in some thing and hurt/kill himself. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Proper cat collars should have a breakaway latch on them for precisely this reason - or an elasticated piece so the cat can get out of it if it's caught on something.

Someone local may have petshop info on where you could buy one - what region are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Just bought a lovely red tartan collar for my 15 year old cat - with his skinny wee neck he needs a kitten collar(besides he needs to look good when he goes to the cattery when were on holiday - don't want those other cats talking about his manky old collar:)). Bought it on ebay for a lot less than the local pet shop charges and its one of those fancy makes too - that with free postage made it even better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

My vet is dead set against collars on cats and says he sees a remarkable amount of collar-related injuries. I've gave up with my own cats years ago as they lost them constantly which meant they were getting snagged and the cats were lucky to get out. I microchipped them instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The best collar ive used is this one from Zooplus:

36706_1.jpg
    Its made of nylon, very stretchy and has a quick release latch. Its the least dangerous as far as i can see of any cat collar ive bought. If it gets caught it stretches far enough for your cat to wiggle out of if the latch doesnt open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Ive used the ones above for all my cats. They are usually about the 4.99 mark. You can get ones in tesco's that also have a little extra strip that you can put your details on.
    However I have but given up on the collars now as they are turning into a bit of a money pit. 2 of the cats I think lose them on purpose as they are always gone after a day or two. Another cat, who is very ladylike, seems to really like her collars and if it is a pretty one it seems to last longer than the plain colour ones:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ive had the nylon one above about a year and a half now. My cat had gone through 4 others in 6mths prior to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

My vet is dead set against collars on cats and says he sees a remarkable amount of collar-related injuries. I've gave up with my own cats years ago as they lost them constantly which meant they were getting snagged and the cats were lucky to get out. I microchipped them instead.

Cats love to climb and collars can catch on branches with horrific results.

Please listen to the vet, guys/gals - and leave your cats in the nude :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I used to put collars on my cats for their first year of life, they were indoor cats so had way less rick of getting snagged and if they got out, someone would see the name tag and return them to us. However when we started letting them outside, they started losing the collars. I spent a small fortune on collars and name tags but I just gave up in the end, I have to accept the face my cats like to be naked! I have gotten them cute little bandana collars to wear when they are inside though, they look pretty :D524.jpg
    519.jpg

I would recommend the stretchy break away reflective collar if you really feel that they need one though, I've heard of too many cats being found hanging from trees with a buckle collar :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

avoid elasticated collars, cats can get their legs through them and get hurt. Collars with a buckle like a dog collar are absolute no-nos, your cat could hang. A cat collar must have a safety release buckle - there's a brand called Safecat that is really good, and you can buy them online with your phone number woven into the fabric. I know they work because every so often I find one that has 'sprung'. It's a good idea to put a collar on your cat even if microchipped - if you've read some of the threads about feral cats......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

planetX wrote: »
    avoid elasticated collars, cats can get their legs through them and get hurt.

This. Also avoid ones with a pronged buckle as cat collars are generally quite flimsy and the buckle can pierce their skin if it gets twisted (speaking from experience).

My cats are microchipped but I used to use collars anyway as I don't trust the chip system 100%. However they've gone through so many that I've given up. I swear the woods behind my house must be littered with little coloured collars!

• Advertisement

Have had cats for years and like many others on here, i gave up on using collars. My Cats are much happier and i think safer without them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Specific cat collars, with the safety release system (so the cat won't stragle itself of them, essentially they open easily when tugged) are good and safe! Most large pet stores sell then, and they can be gotten online too, and they are about €5/7 depending on pattern, style etc. They are adjustable so I'm sure they would fit a thinner neck.

Cats have a habit of getting out of anything so getting your cat chipped or tattooed is the safest way, and most reliable if your cat loses collars regularly, to make sure they can be traced back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Get the high-visability 'Ancol' collars on ebay. I buy 5 or 6 at a time. My cat loses them regularly so they are doing their job! They have a quick release clip which will snap under pressure. She doesn't seem to find them uncomfortable either!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANCOL-GLOSS-REFLECTIVE-CAT-COLLAR-FREE-ENGRAVED-ID-TAG-/260997480655

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

I use collars on my two cats. I get 2 for €2 in whatever Pound City is called nowadays. Its got the holes like a belt and has some elastic to leave some stretch room. Given my two have lost a few in their first year and a half of life its handy to have one in the drawer. Its only when I buy a new name tag for them that someone finds their lost collar and name tag!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

Also read somewhere that you should be able to fit two fingers behind the collar or its too tight so I regularly check if I can fit my fingers through or I loosen the collar.

Advertisement