Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tents moments in Eyre Square this morning as occupy camp dismantled.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Tents? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Tents? :rolleyes:

it's a pun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

Good,its about time they got rid the krusty feckers.....bleedin smell off them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

For a so called 'Movement' they were pretty stationary eh!!

Bloody soap dodgers!!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I say send them on a ship to Palestine they seem to have a absolute hard on for the place.

And I'm talking a one way ticket, these ***** are a disgrace to every country they inhabit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

For a worldwide movement with hundreds of camps and thousands of participants...they didn't really DO anything did they?

ah now in fairness to them they did give us some entertainment and in Dublin they at least kept the emos and goths away from central bank.

Ironically you could call them The Cure to the goth/emo problem up here:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Reclaim the streets!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I'm pretty indifferent to the camp's demise.

I've been outside it a couple of times and all I've seen is a bunch of rebels without a cause without the first clue about politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Galway full of them

When the Salthill airshow was around and bringing 100,000 people to Galway and huge revenue they'd be protesting about it
    Galway Alliance Against War GAAW

Any Galwegians know if the airshow is coming back?
    It was always superbly organized

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I paid a visit to the Occupy Wallstreet camp in March.. some craic down there I tells ya..

A melting pot of 'crusties', war veterans, 'homies', musicians etc.. Even saw a few big bootied honeys doing the tootsie roll to the tune of some Caribbean drums..

Quite a spectacle :D

Not half as entertaining as the Galway movement I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I walked past the one on Dame Street last time I was in Ireland and thought it was hilarious that they had a Playstation/Xbox thing whatever in one of them.

What happened to sitting around with a guitar and signing Kumbaya?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

OneArt wrote: »
    I walked past the one on Dame Street last time I was in Ireland and thought it was hilarious that they had a Playstation/Xbox thing whatever in one of them.

Too mainstream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It went off-center when you started seeing Free Palestine posters around the place.

The "movement" grounded to a halt to the point where people just ignored them and they were just living on Eyre Square rather than "protesting"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

xzanti wrote: »
    I paid a visit to the Occupy Wallstreet camp in March.. some craic down there I tells ya..

A melting pot of 'crusties', war veterans, 'homies', musicians etc.. Even saw a few big bootied honeys doing the tootsie roll to the tune of some Caribbean drums..

Hell on earth if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Good riddance to these fúcking hippies!

Anyone know if they're still camped up in Cork city? Last time I was in the city,about 2 months ago, they were still shacked up near the river

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

How did they get rid of them i wonder? The gardai probably brought in a power house and ran like the clappers for fear of getting a wash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

How did they get rid of them i wonder? The gardai probably brought in a power house and ran like the clappers for fear of getting a wash.

They just turned up and started dismantling it I think.

They opened a soap kitchen and it scared the dreads of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Poster Boy

Got to say Im delighted to see the authorities clamp down on such outrageous law breaking, while five years on nobody significant has ever been criminally prosecuted for financial irregularities that preceded the national collapse. Right priorities, great country :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

It started out with great intentions, but it lost it's momentum. The probably should have packed themselves up to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Economy collapse - moaning on boards
    Someone protests - moaning on boards

I wonder if there will ever be something we can all agree on.

biko wrote: »

If my right to moan was taken off me, I'd definitely protest. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Poster Boy

DrumSteve wrote: »
    It started out with great intentions, but it lost it's momentum. The probably should have packed themselves up to be honest.

Thats probably a fair assessment alright - they should have had some sort of exit strategy, its not as if Eyre Square would ever be Christina a lá Copenhagen... that said, the active enforcement by the authorities here contrasts markedly with the lack of enforcement re apparent massive white collar crime that has been of infinitely more damage to society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Random person: what you lot doing?

Occupy Galway: Protesting, duh.

RP: protesting what?

OG: eh, em, eh, the system man.
    OG2: and the banks! Don't forget the banks!

RP: and what exactly is camping in Eyre Square doing to help your Protest?

OG: you wouldn't understand.

Sample conversation with occupy peons. They weren't protesting anything. They were being tits and acting like they were some sort of Nobel collection of martyrs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

It's a sad state of affairs when people actually trying to make a protest against our corrupt state and the worldwide economic system which f*cks most of it and keeps a tiny percent rich, are brushed aside as horrible useless degenerates by you lot.
    People standing up for something they believe in, while the rest of you just bitch and moan about corrupt politicians and how you're getting f*cked by new taxes down the pub. Hats off to them I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    It's a sad state of affairs when people actually trying to make a protest against our corrupt state and the worldwide economic system which f*cks most of it and keeps a tiny percent rich, are brushed aside as horrible useless degenerates by you lot.
    People standing up for something they believe in, while the rest of you just bitch and moan about corrupt politicians and how you're getting f*cked by new taxes down the pub. Hats off to them I say.

I agree in principal, in practice(in Cork anyway) it was a crowd of people clogging up a nice, recently (in the 12 months) renovated section of the city with tents and literally just sitting there. The protest never left that site really. Also there are no government building near that location (other than FÁS!) so why didn't they pitch their tents outside city hall?!
    Cokeistan wrote: »
    Good riddance to these fúcking hippies!

Anyone know if they're still camped up in Cork city? Last time I was in the city,about 2 months ago, they were still shacked up near the river

Gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Every movement has to start with a handful of people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

They had to move them. Where would all the Spanish students go? Jesus, could you imagine if the students couldn't gather in Eyre Square and were roaming all around they city centre. It'd be horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

OneArt wrote: »

For the deaf passers-by ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

off w the krustys

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Every movement has to start with a handful of people

That is true, but they didnt have any mass appeal to people. Fair play to them for protesting but i couldnt identify with them as individuals, not necessarily their message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think you'll find the real reason for the eviction below:
    Councillors had applied pressure on officials to remove the camp before the start of the Volvo Ocean Race next month.

Councillors said the matter was now urgent as there would be international attention on the city from 30 June to 8 July.

Kinda like when Atlanta shipped the homeless out of the city for the Olympics.

I think you'll find the real reason for the eviction below:

Kinda like when Atlanta shipped the homeless out of the city for the Olympics.

It was a Bord Failte approved clear out. ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Hell on earth if you ask me.

Well we didn't stay long mind you, just passing through..

Some of the groups were a little intimidating if I'm honest.. Glad we went along though, it was an experience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement