Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bantry = Seafood

Options
  • 16-05-2012 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭

We are heading down to Bantry this weekend and I have seafood on the mind... From checking things out on the net O'Conors seems like the place to go, can anyone advise if this is correct or is it just a fancy restaurant.. Would defo be into trying a few differant oyster styles and after than anything once it is yummie will do... Recommendations all welcome and appreciated.

Also, I love going around to visit old ruins and that, is there any such along the way..Old house, castles anything :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Milly33 wrote: »
    We are heading down to Bantry this weekend and I have seafood on the mind... From checking things out on the net O'Conors seems like the place to go, can anyone advise if this is correct or is it just a fancy restaurant.. Would defo be into trying a few differant oyster styles and after than anything once it is yummie will do... Recommendations all welcome and appreciated.

Also, I love going around to visit old ruins and that, is there any such along the way..Old house, castles anything :D

Well regarding old houses, Bantry House would be the obvious!

For walks, check out the Sheep's Head area in Bantry.

Enjoy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

O'Connors is now just a fancy restaurant it has fish dishes,there is a fish restaurant over the fish shop,(opposite the super value)pub grub the snug or the waterfront.

Old ruins on the sheeps head include mines ect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Thanking you..MM i would be more old ruins rather than Bantry House itself something with a bit of excitment. THe mines sound fun..

mmm perhaps O'Connors just for oysters then and the fish shop for mains..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Milly33 wrote: »
    Thanking you..MM i would be more old ruins rather than Bantry House itself something with a bit of excitment. THe mines sound fun..

mmm perhaps O'Connors just for oysters then and the fish shop for mains..

You pays your money's and takes your chances to be honest.I have never been in O'Conners in the 20 years that I have lived in bantry.

I am not getting good vibes then from this O'connors pants!! :) Well i shall suss oysters some other place then..Thanks for the tips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Im sure they do Oysters in the restaurant over the fish shop, at least they sell em in the shop downstairs. Its called The Fish kitchen by the way:). You would prob need to book in advance to be sure to get a table.

Oh i checked it out and they have them on the menu alrite. Twas more the differant ways they cook them i wanted to taste but sure we can start in one and have mains in another.

thanks for all the help cant wait to get down there now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Been 5 or 6 years since i was in O'Conners, good food but remember thinking it was expensive at the time

and the fish kitchen is well worth a visit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Bosupe

+ 1 for The Fish kitchen!

Im back....Have to say loverly part of Cork. Really enjoyed the weekend down there.

We ended up calling to O'Conors for food in the end, himself was more impressed than me with it..I dont know for the prices they charge defo I was expecting more..I wouldnt be too raving about the place, nice but I couldnt justify the money spent there.. Loverly staff thought which is always a winner with me..

On the other side we drove into Glengarrif and called to Mcarthys for mussels and wow now there is a treat, we only got the started portion but mmm flavour is yummie and the price fantastic... I would like to ask though what is the story with the bar at the end of the village next to the rainbow restaurant (forgive me I may have got the names mixed up) there is some serious vibes coming off that place..I swear there is some eeriee-ness, as if it will all turn scary in there and the landlady will start hauling bodies out from underneath the stairs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

You should have listened to good advice.:D

I shall pay more attention to you in future

Advertisement