Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate list of the best acoustic guitar songs :)

Options
  • 16-05-2012 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Iv been playing guitar for a few months now and I am getting the hang of it.. :) Would guitar players please name some songs to try play :) Much Appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Why not just make a list of songs you like and learn them? No point learning songs other people like...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Hort101

Is this not what this site was made for?? if ye have no recommendations and nothing good to say get off this thread!!! now... anyone have anything interesting to add??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭b318isp

It is a hard question to answer as we don't know how much you know - can you play bar chords? There is no point in advising on songs with chords you don't know.

Have a look at Chordie.com for chords. Also www.justinguitar.com is superb for lessons. Christy Moore, The Beatles and Oasis stuff is always a good start. rcaz is right though, you will tend to play songs that you like - so google them with the string "guitar tabs".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

try this its a good song for guitar you might get better examples on youtube though;)

Hort101 wrote: »
    Is this not what this site was made for?? if ye have no recommendations and nothing good to say get off this thread!!! now... anyone have anything interesting to add??

No, this site isn't for asking completely open-ended questions with no direction. How can anyone possibly suggest good songs for you to learn without knowing what kind of music you're into? If you're trying to learn songs to develop your technique and they're difficult songs you don't like, you won't stick with them (been there done that) and you'll get more frustrated than you were before you tried learning.

I could list off a load of songs that any guitarist could new ideas and techniques from, but what's the point in telling a beginner metal fan to learn some really tricky country slide guitar parts, or vice versa? I thought I could learn a lot from teaching myself some fast sweep picking and tapping lead guitar parts, so I had a go at learning Domination by Pantera and The Trooper by Iron Maiden. Got halfway and got bored and stopped, still can't play most of those parts. What a waste of time.

What are you into, what can you play, what do you want to play? Chances are you'll answer your own question and come up with some good stuff to teach yourself off your own bat.

What is a 'best acoustic guitar song' anyway? Whatever they are, I doubt we're gonna come up with the ultimate list of them on this thread.

• Advertisement

True rcaz.. Right well i can play all the beginner songs like time of your life and wonderwall.. i just wanna impress at a session to be honest and be actually able to play as much as possible.. hate being somewhere with a group and people say "hey, can you play such and such a song".. you know?? i think im gone past beginner stage and im looking for a change and i will literally try anything.. i really will haha.. :)

i just wanna impress at a session to be honest

Number one protip for life on this subject:

Don't be that guy who plays acoustic guitar at a session.

Nobody likes that guy, he wrecks everyone's heads, and 99% of the time the music he plays isn't doing anything for the session. Hardly anyone's impressed either. Been there, done that, worn the tshirt, got the piss taken out of me, learned my lesson, stopped.

Play if you're asked, sure, but don't take it upon yourself to whip out the guitar. And definitely don't bring your own guitar to someone else's session 'cause the house doesn't have one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

learn 'Spank It' by Ed Koch. You will impress everyone at the session :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

rcaz wrote: »

Nobody likes that guy, he wrecks everyone's heads, and 99% of the time the music he plays isn't doing anything for the session. Hardly anyone's impressed either. Been there, done that, worn the tshirt, got the piss taken out of me, learned my lesson, stopped.

Play if you're asked, sure, but don't take it upon yourself to whip out the guitar. And definitely don't bring your own guitar to someone else's session 'cause the house doesn't have one :pac:

So sad but so, so true.

This always goes down well at a session, the wimminz love it too...

• Advertisement

So rcaz.. only play if your asked to bring the guitar and your asked to play a certain song yes?? any favorite songs you like to play on acoustic??

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

Seeing as no1 has answered you yet Ill give you a short list that I like to play:

Iris - Goo goo dolls (for the wimminz)
    Ohh la - Kooks (dont like the kooks that much but like playing that song)
    Ride on - Christy Moore (classic)
    Tribute - Tenacious D
    Hey Day - Mic Christopher

But most importantly never wonderwall. NEVER EVER EVER

So rcaz.. only play if your asked to bring the guitar and your asked to play a certain song yes?? any favorite songs you like to play on acoustic??

You really have to belt out the "Back in the mother****in' County Jail..." part though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

But most importantly never wonderwall. NEVER EVER EVER

Lol... Agreed with knobs on !! (Although at 4 in the morning, at a mad pissed session, there's always one fella will start blasting it..)

As mentioned earlier, check out Chordie and check on the 'Public Books' tab.

http://www.chordie.com/publicbooks.php

There's various types categorized there and it's easier than just scrolling through lists of songs or artists alphabetically trying to think of songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Because every word uttered in it is beauty wrapped in truth wearing a hat made of honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

rcaz wrote: »

Bits in bold sum up my guitar career :P I only ever play if people are literally begging for some tunes :)

But to the OP's question. Like everyone said, it's up to you. If you reeeally only want to impress people, go for some easy finger picking songs. The ones I learned when I was a beginner and which seemed to impress were 'Blackbird' by the Beatles, 'More than Words' by Extreme and 'Classical Gas' by Mason Williams (although I was probably more intermediate when I did that one).

Anyway, whatever you paly, make sure you're enjoying it, that's what guitar is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

Adam Green Nat King Cole
    Daydreamer Adele
    Allman Brothers Sweet Melissa
    Arctic Monkeys Only Ones Who Know
    The Jam Fly
    Nick Drake At The Chime Of A City Clock
    Brave New World Richard Ashcroft
    STereophonics Mr Writer
    Moonlight Mile The Rolling STones
    Follow the Sun The Beatles
    It's A Boy the Who
    PArt of the Queue Oasis
    Robin Hood Ocean Colour Scene
    I'm Leavin Now Johnny Cash
    I Had a Dream John B Sebastain
    Red Balloon The SMall Faces
    Drifting Pearl Jam
    From the Woods James Vincent McMorrow
    Razor Foo Fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Some stuff I like playing on acoustic guitar:
    Stumbleine - Smashing Pumpkins
    History Lesson Part II - Minutemen
    Blackbird - Beatles
    The Needle And The Damage Done - Neil Young
    Yesterday - Beatles
    English Rose - The Jam
    Butterfly - Weezer
    Me And The Devil Blues - Robert Johnson
    Where Did You Sleep Last Night? - Leadbelly
    Love In Vain - Based on the Rolling Stones version
    Untitled #2 - John Frusciante
    2:45 A.M. - Elliott Smith
    Sweet Adeline - Elliott Smith
    White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane
    Nice Dream - Radiohead
    Master Song - Leonard Cohen
    Tangerine - Led Zeppelin
    Shoot The Poets - The Cribs
    People Are Strange - The Doors

Any lessons on them songs BigBabyTaylor?? A link would be much appreciated :) why not wonderwall ?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

Any lessons on them songs BigBabyTaylor??
    Im sure there is. Youtube and UltimateGuitar are your friends.
    why not wonderwall ?? :p
    Because if anyone else is in the room that actually plays guitar they will automatically have 0 respect for you. Its the first song everyone learns to play.
    If I am in the room I will literally walk over, take the guitar off you and you are no longer allowed to play. Might even kick you in the face :p

• Advertisement

True.. :P so if there was a session what songs would you think are more than likely going to pop up to be asked to play?? i usually end up playing stuff like oasis-dont look back in anger, more than words by extreme.. stuff like that :)

True.. :P so if there was a session what songs would you think are more than likely going to pop up to be asked to play?? i usually end up playing stuff like oasis-dont look back in anger, more than words by extreme.. stuff like that :)

You're really looking to learn the songs other people will like, aren't you? You're doing it wrong...

Well i wanna be liked for the songs i play and be able play songs that people ask for at a session??

Well i wanna be liked for the songs i play and be able play songs that people ask for at a session??

Why not just play what you want to play and let them like you for it? If you're trying to be liked, that won't work. I get the feeling this conversation is about something bigger than just guitar playing :pac:

No, dont worry.. it aint :P

I just want to learn songs that always pop up in a session and i just dont know any so i wanna learn some to impress the people there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Thirteen-Big Star.
    That's Entertaiment-The Jam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Dr conrad murray

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

try a few bob marley tunes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭windingo

Why don't you just try songs that you like.. Like at the minute I am working on LazerLight by D Guettu and Jessie J, acoustically it is such a nice song.. and its pretty simple G,D,EM,C

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭vider12

Bryan Adams acoustic stuff is pretty nice to play you should give it a try...

Advertisement