Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using a spare analogue phone line over ethernet?

• 16-05-2012 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

I have a spare analogue line from UPC which I wish to use in a basement part of our building that a normal cordless signal is too weak to reach with any reliability. I cannot run further cables but there is a network connection at both the phone port and where the analogue handset would be.

Is there some sort of PSTN-VOIP adapter for one end and VOIP-PSTN adapter for the other end?
    There may well be a term for such a device but most sites seem to offer products that route through a commercial sip service like Blueface. The 01 PSTN (UPC hybrid) line is already in place.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Yes that can be done. You can get both FXO and FXS voip adapters, look on ebay for them:)

Then that can be routed to a SIP address to your blueface phone. You can make outbound calls on the blueface phone via blueface or whatever provider you want to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

DavidJC wrote: »
    I have a spare analogue line from UPC which I wish to use in a basement part of our building that a normal cordless signal is too weak to reach with any reliability. I cannot run further cables but there is a network connection at both the phone port and where the analogue handset would be.

Is there some sort of PSTN-VOIP adapter for one end and VOIP-PSTN adapter for the other end?
    There may well be a term for such a device but most sites seem to offer products that route through a commercial sip service like Blueface. The 01 PSTN (UPC hybrid) line is already in place.

If the network connection is Point-To-Point at these locations (ie the Same cable) why not just patch an RJ11 from UPC through the network cable. Plug the phone in the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DavidJC

The "PSTN" analogue phone line subscription is already there on the UPC modem.

I just wish to plug that into an interface to digitise and then decode to an analogue handset on the other side of the ethernet cable.

Do I need to use Blueface or a VOIP provider? You mention my Blueface phone, but all I have is analogue handsets.

Thanks

The "PSTN" analogue phone line subscription is already there on the UPC modem.

I just wish to plug that into an interface to digitise and then decode to an analogue handset on the other side of the ethernet cable.

Do I need to use Blueface or a VOIP provider? You mention my Blueface phone, but all I have is analogue handsets.

Thanks

No you dont need to use Blueface or any other VOIP Provider.

You can connect the PTSN line on the UPC Modem by either:

-Terminating the CAT5 (if its the one cable from the modem to basement) with an RJ11 plug (NB: you wont need all 4 pairs from the CAT5/6 cable.)
    -Then connect one plug into the modems PTSN socket and the other into an analogue phone

or
    -If the cable has LAN faceplates just patch them using 2 phone cables in the same way (one to Line1/2 on the UPC Modem and the other to the analogue phone)

BTW: My suggestion means that LAN connection cannot be routed through a switch or router, its for straight through use only. So it will work if you want phone only down it and not if you want IP services also.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DavidJC

Thanks for your help but the ethernet is split at a switch downstairs so is not a straight run. I understand the idea you are making of using a spare pair and fitting standard phone plugs.

I am also looking at a line for a storage room across the road which is POEthernet (microwave). I think this will have to be FXO/FXS.

If I got something like this on one end and another exact model on the other end would it be a virtual PSTN line, end to end?

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help but the ethernet is split at a switch downstairs so is not a straight run. I understand the idea you are making of using a spare pair and fitting standard phone plugs.

I am also looking at a line for a storage room across the road which is POEthernet (microwave). I think this will have to be FXO/FXS.

If I got something like this on one end and another exact model on the other end would it be a virtual PSTN line, end to end?

David, I'm not sure on specific configs of these devices but I have found a thread on another forum where somebody is trying to do the same. It does suggest using 2 of these back to back.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22625010-General-Extend-PSTN-line-over-IP

Advertisement