Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring onions not sprouting

Options
  • 16-05-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

I prepared a seed bed four weeks ago and planted Bok Choi and Spring onions.
    The Bok Choi are doing great but no sign at all of the spring onions, not a sausage!!

I didnt prepare the soil at all by digging in compost but i did throw down some fish and bones stuff and some general fertiliser pellets.

I'm thinking about just digging up the soil tomorrow and mixing in some compost and planting the Calabrese that I have in some pots which are thriving ( I have another couple of raised beds I had ear marked for that later).

With all the cold weather this year should I give it another week or is four weeks time to call it a day?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I'd say try again. Most reliable way to do it is sow a few seeds in modules indors and plant them out into the ground once they germinate. The little onions wil push eachother apart as they grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I wouldn't get panicked just yet. They are (in my opinion and experience) slow to germinate and grow anyway. The colder than normal conditions in the past month won't have helped them either. Give them another couple of weeks at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

But in the mean time sow some more indoors. You could wait 2 weeks and maybe have nothing. Add another week or two to wait for new seeds to germinate plus slugs and you could end up with nothing for the summer. Multi-sowing indoors in modules works very well and saves a lot of space in the ground. Always good to have backups.

Advertisement