Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UI development advice

Options
  • 16-05-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is the place to look, I'm looking for some advice from the design community on this. I think designers are far too underrated in software circles these days.
    I'm currently working on a startup idea for a software application.

I'm a coder myself and the finer things in art and design completely escape me. However I believe the UI (User Interface) is probably the most important part of a nice and easy to use software application.

So I'm thinking I need to add someone to the team to help in this area.
    So my question to you guys is what sort of person am I looking for, Are designers primarily involved in graphics in terms of logos and icons? Do you guys also work with CSS or html? even better have any of you ever worked with java and other coding languages?

What I'd love is an all in one "UI guy" who could do all of that but I have a feeling that such a person doesn't exist!

I suppose I need to know if a "UI guy" exists in the way that I imagine, which is someone who can :
      1. Design colour schemes
      2. Help with mockups and wireframes (layout design)
      3. Help with user experience design
      4. Implement their designs using CSS, skinning images etc
      5. Integrate with other technologies such as GWT (Nice to have)

Any help or advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

paddyred9 wrote: »
      Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is the place to look, I'm looking for some advice from the design community on this. I think designers are far too underrated in software circles these days.
      I'm currently working on a startup idea for a software application.

I'm a coder myself and the finer things in art and design completely escape me. However I believe the UI (User Interface) is probably the most important part of a nice and easy to use software application.

So I'm thinking I need to add someone to the team to help in this area.
      So my question to you guys is what sort of person am I looking for, Are designers primarily involved in graphics in terms of logos and icons? Do you guys also work with CSS or html? even better have any of you ever worked with java and other coding languages?

What I'd love is an all in one "UI guy" who could do all of that but I have a feeling that such a person doesn't exist!

I suppose I need to know if a "UI guy" exists in the way that I imagine, which is someone who can :
        1. Design colour schemes
        2. Help with mockups and wireframes (layout design)
        3. Help with user experience design
        4. Implement their designs using CSS, skinning images etc
        5. Integrate with other technologies such as GWT (Nice to have)

Any help or advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

P
        It goes like this:
        UX designer.The Architect of the proposed system whom provides blueprints for the developers. A UX design professional will provide you with blueprint of your system.

UI designer: Your UI designer would create the wow factor for users or clients. He /she will do this by providing themes, colours and clear graphics that will appear well on different browsers.

Front end developer: CSS, HTML, Skinning etc. Basically this guy stitches the work from the UX / UI designer together into an interface that works possibly as a beta site.

Back end development:, Whilst all the above is in development the back end developer comes in with, Java, php, python etc. The most expensive person on the team. If you have a good UX person on the team at the start he /she will drive the process by their design / blueprint making the back end developers job easy and clear i.e. less costly by clear instruction.

You could get an all in one person with a loose understanding of most parts but it would end up costing you more in the long run by not getting what you want depending on the level of work that you want. Either that or you might have a poor result.

So bottom line is your ideal production team would be:

UX / UI designer/s
        Front end developer
        Back end developer

PM me for more info. I have a complete team at your disposal if you need it.

Advertisement