Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I stop my deaf dog from barking when she's playing?

• 16-05-2012 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

I'm really at my wits end with one of my dogs who barks a lot when she's playing. She's a lovely gentle 2 year old English Setter who is deaf. Up until 6 months ago she was an "only dog" and was very quiet - she rarely made any noise apart from happy growls and the occasional bark at the birds/cats. She didn't seem lonely or bored when she was on her own and never barked out of boredom.

6 months ago I adopted a 3 month old Llewellin Setter pup; he's now 9 months old and is also turning into a lovely gentle dog. The two of them are best buddies and love to chase each other around the garden... which is how the problem started. When they're played the older dog barks like crazy with excitement. It's a really high pitched yipping sound and it's very annoying!

It doesn't matter if I'm there supervising or not - when they're playing, she's barking. If I'm there I try to correct her when she barks, but because she's deaf I'm finding it really hard. She's running around and usually has her back to me so I have no way of getting her attention. When I do have her attention and give her the "no" signal she stops, but after a few seconds she just takes off again after the pup. If I put a stop to play and bring them in she quietens down, but she starts up again next time they're out playing.

My neighbours haven't complained but I don't want it to get to the point where they do. I leave for work very early and am conscious of the fact that many people will still be trying to sleep. Leaving them inside all day isn't an option as the house is too small and the pup would go mental.

She's well exercised and stimulated - both dogs get a 45 minute walk through the woods every evening and the barker usually gets another walk in the morning. There are no other behaviour problems - she's not destructive in any way, she obeys some basic hand signals and is excellent on the lead and with visitors.

I've been considering a spray collar as a last resort, but I hate the idea of them. I'm just really running out of ideas... :( If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Hate to tell you but I've been trying for the last 2 half years to do the same with my deaf terrier! It's impossible because like you say by the time you get their attention it's impossible to mark the barking behaviour, it's also very natural for them to do it. My terrier's bark is also very high-pitched and annoying.

The only thing to do is not let them play chasing games, reward them being very calm around each other and let that become normal. Or else give them a time in the day to go loony tunes around the garden, and keep them seperate otherwise.

Now you'll have to excuse me while I go and call my terrier in cos she's outside barking at the passing horses in that same annoying manner :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Thanks for reply. It's kinda nice to hear that I'm not alone! :)

Separating them isn't really an option since I'm at work most days and I don't have separate areas to put them in (plus the pup howls his head off when he's on his own - not exactly a step in the right direction!).

I'm going try your suggestion to encourage them to act calm around each other and let them have a mad half hour in the evening. I just worry that I won't be there enough to reinforce the behaviour properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

One of mine is deaf and I have tried, in vain, to stop him barking. He is quite a little barker - at the door, for food etc. Problem with him is that he is just vocal at everything - making mad noises when he is doing anything that isn't sleeping or walking around the place (and even then he can be createive!).

Looks like deaf dogs and barking go hand in hand! :-) its frustrating not being able to communicate sometimes, although I have to say when she does respond to hand signals it's extremely rewarding.

My barker has been blissfully quiet this evening after an extra long walk with lots of sniffing about. She did start running around barking at one point but I brought the two of them in and they settled down, no arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I saw something on Dog Borstal once. One of the trainers (think it was Lynn) had to train a deaf dog on recall. I think she fitted some kind of vibrating device to the dog. Every time he reacted, the dog got a treat. Perhaps the same principle could be applied to stop your dog barking and reward her when she's calm, I don't know.

Although she's obviously UK based, I do know she has a website. http://www.lynnedavies.co.uk

Maybe you could contact her to ask for some pointers/recommendations?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link, I will definitely check it out. I did actually get a vibrating collar some time ago (just vibrating, not shock!!) but I didn't have a whole lot of success using for recall training. She ignored the vibration completely. The fact that she's unmotivated by food (even cheese and sausage!) doesn't help. I might try it again though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Yeah the vibrating collars can be hit and miss, I couldnt use one on my girl because she only weighs 3.5kg and they're fairly large devices.

Advertisement