Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia 2247 router problems

Options
  • 16-05-2012 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am using this router to connect to Eircom Broadband but have been encountering some issues with it.

The router since yesterday is dropping and reconnecting the DSL connection every few minutes. All devices, both wired and wireless then lose their internet access.

On the hardware itself, the DSL light comes on and off or starts blinking.
    So far I've tried:
    • Restarting the router
    • Replacing the DSL cable coming from the phone socket

Neither have solved the issue.
    Something of note is the username and password in the config settings are set as
    wifi021******* with the account number as the password.

I always thought the username and password should be
    eircom@eircom.net
    broadband1

Can you give me any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Update:

I downloaded the latest firmware for the router and performed a full reset, it connects fine now to the Internet ,using the default u/n and pw, but a new issue has cropped up.

I have an Unbuntu 11.10 server on the network which is now being dropped randomly, I'll have SSH into it and then suddenly get a host down message.

I set up the port forwards after resetting the router so I'm lost as to what is causing it, any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Jason1984 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am using this router to connect to Eircom Broadband but have been encountering some issues with it.

The router since yesterday is dropping and reconnecting the DSL connection every few minutes. All devices, both wired and wireless then lose their internet access.

On the hardware itself, the DSL light comes on and off or starts blinking.
    So far I've tried:
    • Restarting the router
    • Replacing the DSL cable coming from the phone socket

Neither have solved the issue.
    Something of note is the username and password in the config settings are set as
    wifi021******* with the account number as the password.

I always thought the username and password should be
    eircom@eircom.net
    broadband1

Can you give me any advice?

Thanks

Hi Jason1984,

There are a few reasons the router could be dropping the connection. From what you say above it does seem like the router settings could be an issue but if you've never changed them before there should be no reason for problems with that side of things. If you don't have personalised settings on the router you could do a 'hard-reset'. This involves pressing and holding the small inset button on the back (with the modem powered on). You will need something thin like a pen or hairclip to do this.

Push the button in and hold until the modem powers off then back on again. This will restore the modem to factory settings. The username and password you wrote above are also correct so resetting in this way will ensure they are correct. If that doesn't resolve the problem for you, PM me with the account number and I'll run some tests on the line.

Thanks

James

Update:

I downloaded the latest firmware for the router and performed a full reset, it connects fine now to the Internet ,using the default u/n and pw, but a new issue has cropped up.

I have an Unbuntu 11.10 server on the network which is now being dropped randomly, I'll have SSH into it and then suddenly get a host down message.

I set up the port forwards after resetting the router so I'm lost as to what is causing it, any ideas?

Sorry Jason,

Missed this one, should really refresh the page before I reply :o
    Got your PM, thanks for that. Will run a few tests and get back to you shortly.

James

Update:

Now Jason,

From testing the connection there are a few things of note I can tell you. Firstly, the phoneline itself is testing fine so we can likely rule that out. Next thing is the DSL signal. The line stats there look fairly good, attenuation is 12dB and noise margin is 14dB so that's also well above the acceptable range. The line should hold the connection steadily according to what we see here so that means the next place to look is the equipment, both hardware and wiring.

I can see you are using a Netopia modem, can I ask how long you have that? Also, there is a support checklist for slow/intermittent connections over on our own forum here. By performing these checks it will eliminate pretty much all outside factors and will help pinpoint the problem. Make sure you disconnect any of the other equipment like the Ubuntu server etc. Once you have tried these, if nothing changes then I recommend calling into support directly on 1890 260 260 and allow them to troubleshoot further.

Regards

James

Thanks for that.
    Well the router is about 6 years old at this stage so if everything else checks out then this could be the problem.
    Is there a router replacement offered to current customers or would I be just as well to buy one myself?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.
    Well the router is about 6 years old at this stage so if everything else checks out then this could be the problem.
    Is there a router replacement offered to current customers or would I be just as well to buy one myself?

Hi,

That would be fairly old for a router but to be honest I have seen them last a lot longer than that also. Depends on how it's been treated I suppose. If you have done the checklist then I imagine a replacement router would be next step for tech support. There are 2 options for existing customers who are no longer in contract. Since we give a free router at the beginning (which you now own), further modems can either be purchased at around €50 or you can get one free by agreeing to a new 12 month contract. You will need to have the account number to hand if taking one of these options.

You can also purchase a 3rd party modem of course, but be aware that our support agents are not trained on troubleshooting all modems so can only directly help with an eircom-supplied device. If you're comfortable enough with setting it up yourself then most 3rd party modems will do the job. If not, call support on the number given above.

Thanks

James

Many thanks James, that's been a great help!

Advertisement