Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got into wrong car

• 16-05-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭

I think it has happened to most of us at least once where we're waiting for a lift from somewhere. Car arrives, hop in the passenger seat, get a conversation going, only to realise you're in some random persons car who has no idea why a stranger hopped into their car. Always an awkward moment but funny to look back on it!:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Its never happened to me and im the average irish man. Basically you are a fool:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Taxi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Came out of a 7-11 once in the states with a box of beer and jumped into the passenger seat of an SUV to the bewilderment of the driver. At least they had a laugh about it but it was the wrong SUV, it happens!`

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Not quite.

But a little over a year ago I tried opening someone elses car thinking that the alarm remote control had stopped working.
    It was a distinctive enough old style Toyota Celica.

Then I saw mine two cars down, identical to it.

Do other people naturally park their cars next to similar ones for the novelty of it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Mexihalo

know of a lad who jumped into a cab and told the driver to take him to Baggot St. When he got there he asked the driver how much he owed only for the bloke to tell him he wasn't a taxi:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There's loads of young lads who live near me who are always making that mistake.

You'd see them driving around at high speeds at the weekends, always in a different car.

Boy are they embarrassed when I point out they're not in their own cars at all!

Oh how we laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

never happened to me either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Mexihalo wrote: »
    know of a lad who jumped into a cab and told the driver to take him to Baggot St. When he got there he asked the driver how much he owed only for the bloke to tell him he wasn't a taxi:rolleyes:

i'd still have charged the stupid git

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Ha ha. That's happened to me! Mortified!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Mate of mine years ago was getting a lock in a pub back in our home town.

Bar man called him a taxi and when the bar man opened the door to let him out my mate who had a good few drinks on him at this stage (and before the barman could stop him) just went straight out into the back seat of the car that had just pulled up outside the front door of the pub without looking at it properly.

Turns out he jumped right into the back of the unmarked Guarda Car that had just pulled up at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

In a shopping centre i held onto some womans hand, thinking she was my mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

thunderdog wrote: »
    I think it has happened to most of us at least once where we're waiting for a lift from somewhere. Car arrives, hop in the passenger seat, get a conversation going, only to realise you're in some random persons car who has no idea why a stranger hopped into their car. Always an awkward moment but funny to look back on it!:D

na, i tried that story in court, they didnt buy it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I hopped into a blue fiat punto outside my athletics club one night. Same colour and year as my aunt who was supposed to be collecting me. I was initially confused by the presence of an elderly woman in the drivers seat asking me if I was alright in a concerned tone. It was only when I noticed the Offaly Gaa air freshener hanging from the mirror that I realised my mistake, embarrassing times especially as all the boys were lined up at the clubhouse door roaring their holes laughing at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Happened to me once when I was 10. Came out the school gates, saw what I thought was my dads car. So I walk over, hop in and put on my belt, cue two women turning around and looking at me with absolutely bewildered looks on their faces. Not a word was spoken I just hoped out and walked away quite fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Ive never gotten into the wrong car thankfully:)

Once when I was sitting in my bf's car in the passenger seat and while my bf was in the shop some random guy hopped in and gave me the look like I was crazy for sitting in his car!! I told him to go look at the reg num of by bf's car to prove it wasnt his, otherwise he would of really believed I was in the wrong!! eejit!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

I only did something along these lines today, came out of a garage with my lunch in my hand and without concentrating opened the back door of the car and was half way in when I realised, dope! Then pretended that I was looking for something in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Not the same, but.........was carrying four creamy pints of Guinness down from the bar and concentrating on not spilling a drop so was looking down, left them down at what I thought was my table started effing and blinding about something or other and then looked up to see three asian tourists looking at me very confused........I was quite funny when I just looked at them and stood up and took my four pints back and walked to the next table where my three friends were in hysterics!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Myself and the hubby jumped into our car (Toyota Corolla '95) parked outside Tesco once in a Galway shopping centre. We'd opened the door with the keys, had started the car up and started reversing out of the space before I realised WTF????? the car radio was glowing blue instead of green or whatever!!

Jumped out of the car and realised ours was parked 3 spaces up...........same model, age and colour. Thank god we'd had the radio come on or we'd be half the way home in the dark before we'd have realised!!

I honestly didn't think you'd be able to open and start up the same model car with another car key:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

My mother in law climbed into the passenger seat of a car and didn't realise it wasn't her husband's car even when some mystified looking guy climbed into the driver's seat beside her. She stared at him for a couple of minutes with an inane smile on her face, then got out without saying a word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

I hopped into a blue fiat punto outside my athletics club one night. Same colour and year as my aunt who was supposed to be collecting me. I was initially confused by the presence of an elderly woman in the drivers seat asking me if I was alright in a concerned tone. It was only when I noticed the Offaly Gaa air freshener hanging from the mirror that I realised my mistake, embarrassing times especially as all the boys were lined up at the clubhouse door roaring their holes laughing at me.

So you were able to tell there was difference in air freshener but couldn't determine it wasn't your aunt? :D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

My brother was walking down a road towards where we used to live, and the road was completely flooded. About 6-8 inches all the way across. While he was looking at the puddle, trying to master walking on water or flight, a car stopped at the edge of the puddle next to him. He hopped in delighted. Guy was only stopping to see whether he'd chance the puddle. Still got a lift across it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

I was parked in the middle of Limerick city one saturday ( across from a taxi rank ). Was waiting for my missus to finish work, when drunk guy sits into passenger seat. He was laa - looed, could not understand me at all ... I was thinking I'd be better off just dropping him home - but couldn't understand him either, then my missus came along - saw him - went ballistic, so I just pulled him out and left him lying on the path.
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

chris_ie wrote: »
    So you were able to tell there was difference in air freshener but couldn't determine it wasn't your aunt? :D

In my disorientated state I thought she was some friend or something who she'd lent the car to, I'm a little slow sometimes to react in situations. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Did this in a garage forecourt years ago. Friend driving white mazda max3 with me in the car, stops for petrol. i jump out and run into the garage, pay and buy some fags. He parks up at the side of the garage and another feckin white mx3 pulls up. I jump in, hand the driver a packet of fags and change and say let's go.

Took me a few seconds to get over the shock, got the fags and change back and did the walk of shame over to my pals car. Him crying with laughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭Thud

A good few years back i was hitching (sounds weird nowadays) and a car pulled in, i hopped in and asked how far they were going, they looked at me confused, turned out they were tourists who had pulled in to look at a map

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Would forcing the wrong person to get into your car count?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I was hitching a lift out of Mullingar one evening when I was about 14.

Eventually a car pulls in and draws to a stop about 50 yards up.

At last, I thought as I ran towards it.

It was a hatchback and I as opened the passenger door to jump in, I noticed that the seats had been let down and there was a couple in their early 20's engaging in a bit of nookie.

They were so busy at it that I don't think they noticed me. Or if they did, they didn't care. Kinky fúckers.

I got out quickly, and yes, while I was tempted to watch the entertainment for a while, I also wanted to get home.

So I went back to my spot and managed to get a lift about 10 minutes later. As we drove past the kinky car it was still shaking from side to side.

Fair fúcks to them. Literally !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Yep, done it

On a spin around Ireland and took a break in Trim which I don't know at all

Come out of the shop, wine coloured Mazda and hop in
    Hmmm, why won't my ignition key work?

No harm done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Yeah me too, felt like a right eejit.. Another time in the zoo standing there looking at whatever and started to walk off and took what I thought was my girlfriends hand but was some unsuspecting woman with the same color hair! Everyone seen the funny side, apart from me who felt like I should of just crawled into the monkey cage.. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I pulled up to a crowded bus stop recently to let my Mrs out to catch her bus. Some randomer steps forward from the crowd thinking this was their lift. The look on their face when they had to retreat in front of all those witnesses was priceless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

A lad I used to work with was walking home drunk. A car pulls up and he leans to the drivers window asking how much to bring him to his house as he only has €10 left. It was a garda car that had stopped to see what state he was in at 5:30am.

Turns out he was in a bad enough state to throw the tenner at the ban garda and tell her to **** off she's only an old slut of a pig. So they nicked him, put him in the back and brought him to a garda station a far distance away to let him sleep it off and walk 5 hours home the next day.

He was 7 hours late for work and we all pissed ourselves laughing at him. His dad had been looking for him all day, rang a guard buddy who found out what had happened. When the dad heard what he done and where he was, he said to let him walk home and then went off home himself to wait for him so he could thump him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭matchthis

Dropped the little one to the creche this morning and came out to the car to get in. Unlocked the door got in and sat down. Was in a bit of a rush so was wondering what was going wrong...Got in the passenger side. Had to sit their for a few mins while the car beside me unloaded their kids so i didn't look a total prat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've gotten into the passenger seat of my own car a couple of times before realising that I'm driving.
    Closest I've ever come to getting into someone else's car is trying to open my neighbours car after unlocking my own.

My wife has had someone jump into the drivers' seat of our car while she's waiting for me and give her a strange look. Thankfully that time his wife was sitting in the passenger seat of the car next to ours breaking her ****e laughing at him and he quickly realised what he'd done.

I've also picked people up from town in the wee small hours a number of times. Quite incredible the amount of people who try to jump into the car when you stop in traffic. They don't even look to check if it's a taxi. It's really the only reason I've activated the autolock on my doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I have done this once outside a bar. Got in, sat down, put on a seatbelt and gave the destination, meanwhile the driver was just staaaaaaring at me. Looking back on it, it took what to the driver must have seemed an inordinate amount of time for the penny to drop that this was not a taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

Didn't happen to me but i remember a few years ago i was in the local petrol station. A white van was filling up and his mate got out and went in to pay. As he did your man moved to let another white car in to the pump.

This guy rushes out of the shop opens the car door and gets half way in before he realises he's wrong. Wasn't all that hard to figure out as he sat on top of your mans wife who is sitting in the car with a bewildered look on her face. Que the apologies and the roaring laughter from his mate in the van. Funniest thing i've seen yet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

My mom was getting a lift back from the hairdressers off my dad once.

She got in the passenger seat, whinging (as usual) 'you took your time didn't you? I've been waiting ages...' ranting for a good few minutes, before the driver turned to her and said 'I think you've got the wrong car, love'

We were also on a caravan holiday once.
    My brother walked into a caravan, sat down on the settee and said 'why are we watching this rubbish?' to find a family of bemused strangers staring at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Happened to me. Was queing at the ATM so instead of hold up traffic the gf said she would drive around the block and come back. Minutes later I turn and go to open the door of the silver 206 a few cars down at the lights. Luckily she was further down than that and beeped before I actually got in the car. The girl in the first car didn't know what was happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

aileen from derry wins this threads hands down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Not quite.

But a little over a year ago I tried opening someone elses car thinking that the alarm remote control had stopped working.
    It was a distinctive enough old style Toyota Celica.

Then I saw mine two cars down, identical to it.

Do other people naturally park their cars next to similar ones for the novelty of it ?

A similar thing happened to my mother.
    Came out of supermarket and went up to her car and got in.
    It was only when she was sitting in the drivers seat that she thought "This is odd, I didn't have a air freshner like that!"
    She then looked around the car and saw kids toys etc.
    Quite obviously wasn't her car, so she got out and walked over to her car which was three spaces away. Exact same year, make colour, everything!
    What was interesting about this though was that not only did my mother leave her car unlocked while in the supermarket but this other person did too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I got on the wrong bus one day and ended up on the north side, lucky to come away with me life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

abou two years ago, jumped into the wrong car in edinburgh. ended up with good mates with the guy and went out with one of his friends for over a year. random shít does happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

I done it once, last Easter .

Me, my aunt and my uncle were trying to find Easter eggs last minute. He was driving a black santa fee with black tinted windows. It was lashing rain out and we couldn't find parking. So he pulled up beside the door of the shop and we ran in.

We came out and just up from the shop we seen the jeep parked. So we just ran up and tried to get in, but the door was locked. We could see that he was in there. We thought he was just being an ass locking us in the rain, he's the type that would do that. So we started banging on the windows and pulling at the door calling him every name under the sun, and the things that my aunt was saying she was going to do to him was unreal!

So the bastard started the jeep up and started to move slowly. This really annoyed us and my aunt really freaked out. He drove out of the parking space, rolled down his window and says in a really deep cork accent - 'I'm sorry, I don't know what I done, I was just using the space like!' we just started laughing. My uncle then pulls up wondering why we were standing in the middle of the road in the lashing rain laughing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

One of my mates was pulled up at some traffic lights when the local town looney (who lived beside him) came over asking for a lift home. My mate told him that he wasn't heading home but that his cousin was in the car behind him and he would give him a lift. He then watched in the rear view mirror as the guy jumped into the back of some random persons car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Got on the wrong train once.

Ended up in Holland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I've never done it myself..

but someone has jumped in my car and sat there for like 15 seconds and didnt cop it, I was just like what the hell are you doing? :P

then he goes ''oh ****'' and he got out and ran off :P

I felt embarrassed for him! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

When I was a kid, my parents took us into town to do some shopping. I was only about 6. Parked in the carpark and went into the supermarket.

Coming out with a trolly of shopping, they stopped at the car. Opened the boot to pack the shopping in and opened the door to load the kids in. Expect I didn't get in. A few car parking spaces down was a similiar car. Exact same car. I started calling mam and dad: mammy, daddy I said. Stop. But they were too busy. Eventually I got their attention. This is the wrong car I told them and the I pointed out the difference. In our car we had a small novelty thingy hanging from the rearview mirror and that was missing in the car that they were getting into.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

OneArt wrote: »
    Got on the wrong train once.

Ended up in Holland.

I take it you didn't board the train at Limerick Junction.

Now that would be a story worth hearing. :D

Advertisement