Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to source goods for import to Ireland

Options
  • 16-05-2012 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I know this is a loaded question but has anyone been abroad lateley and found any sort of products that they feel might be interesting to the Irish folk?
    We are looking to source products for sale and trying to get some ideas.
    Would anyone like to share thoughts within this thread.
    :)
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

dare2dream wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I know this is a loaded question but has anyone been abroad lateley and found any sort of products that they feel might be interesting to the Irish folk?
    D

Go to China, China, China
    Very hard to know what Irish people have spare cash for.
    If any of us knew a product that would sell, we would go and import it ourselfs lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Hi All,
    D

Loaded is a understatement, have you anything specific in mind? Lines is to strected, Do you want to know about High end goods, low cost items? Electrical, Everyday, gift etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dare2dream

Oh I know that I just thought we could all explore ideas...
    I would love to hear what experience people had in China if anyone would like to share also.

Oh I know that I just thought we could all explore ideas...
    I would love to hear what experience people had in China if anyone would like to share also.

As pointed out if someone has ideas they are not going to share them if they want to follow it through so think your on to a bit of a no go here.
    I certainly wouldnt be sharing a brilliant idea with someone for them to go and do it.
    Sounds like another case of the "I want to start a business can someone give me an Idea"
    I will give you advice though, Find a product or even 5 , Market research the demand for such product and then go from there.
    If you want to see different products etc visit alibaba.com

And I understand where you are coming from and thank you for the link, may I ask how one would test it on the market to see if there is interest?
    Thanks!
    D

• Advertisement

And I understand where you are coming from and thank you for the link, may I ask how one would test it on the market to see if there is interest?
    Thanks!
    D

If its a Toy speak to parents and ask them if they think its something their child would play with , If its a electrical item speak to family, friends, facebook people etc and get their opinion.
    If its a household item ask questions in forums like consumer forums here etc or by all means ask here too but you need too have the product first.
    The guys here are honest and helpfull.

Appreciate the advice.
    I have had some bad experiences on Alibaba buying products that were defect or broken etc. and then can't get any resolution from the sellers - any tips on dealing with sellers on there?
    What other reputable sites can anyone recommend besides Alibaba?
    I also find I get overwhelmed by the amount of stuff that is listed, any advice when one is doing a search?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Appreciate the advice.
    I have had some bad experiences on Alibaba buying products that were defect or broken etc. and then can't get any resolution from the sellers - any tips on dealing with sellers on there?
    What other reputable sites can anyone recommend besides Alibaba?
    I also find I get overwhelmed by the amount of stuff that is listed, any advice when one is doing a search?

There is no short cut to success.
    If you are serious about importing then you will need to go to china.

You can't expect to buy goods that you have never seen or have seen being made?

Do you mind me asking what your background is in ? as you sound like to know very little about importing? There is an opportunity for everything if done right....What are you good at doing?

My background is in Business Managagement, HR, Administration.
    I am very interested in the retail world and starting my own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

You just have to trawl through thousands of products, spend endless hours researching it, get the product, do market research, find what looks good, go to china and source a reputable manufacturer, get a shop, insurance, enployees, accountants, solicitors and then cross your fingers and hope someone buys it.

Come back when you have done a couple hundred hours more research.

• Advertisement

Will keep researching.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 apintpls

I lived in Dublin for several years and now I am back in China, my homeland. I am starting a small import/export business myself. I am interested in importing from /exporting to Ireland. Anyone wants to talk to me?;)

Advertisement