Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Face sunscreen

• 16-05-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good facial sun screen. I have oily skin and I don't have a whole pile of money to spend. I know about Dior snow etc but that's out of my price bracket.

Any one have any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

McCabes Pharmacy are selling Roc Soleil Protexion half price at the moment, think I paid €13 last week for it. It's great and non flaky under makeup.

Here is a little more on it..

http://http://lipglossfiend.wordpress.com/2011/06/05/roc-soleil-protexion-velvet-moisture-quenching-fluid-spf-50-sunscreen-normal-to-combination-skin/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I found the La Roche Posay Anthelios one worked pretty well for me under make-up. It doesn't seem oily at all.

http://www.laroche-posay.ie/product-treatments/Anthelios/Anthelios-XL-SPF-50-Extreme-Fluid-p4036.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

tan11ie wrote: »
    McCabes Pharmacy are selling Roc Soleil Protexion half price at the moment, think I paid €13 last week for it. It's great and non flaky under makeup.

Here is a little more on it..

http://http://lipglossfiend.wordpress.com/2011/06/05/roc-soleil-protexion-velvet-moisture-quenching-fluid-spf-50-sunscreen-normal-to-combination-skin/

Hi tan11, that's great! I'll have to take a gander into Dundrum at the weekend so! :)

Malari wrote: »
    I found the La Roche Posay Anthelios one worked pretty well for me under make-up. It doesn't seem oily at all.

http://www.laroche-posay.ie/product-treatments/Anthelios/Anthelios-XL-SPF-50-Extreme-Fluid-p4036.aspx

Hi Malari, that's great, thanks. I'll have to take a look for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

This is a moisturiser I use with an SPF 15 in it. Perfect for everyday, wintry weather coverage. It is not oily at all, soaks right in, and has aloe vera in it. Plus it is so cheap!http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Simply-Sensitive-Day-Moisturiser-SPF15-125ml_1189241/

Then in the summer months I have used http://www.boots.com/en/Soltan-Once-Face-8-Hour-Sun-Protection-Moisturising-Suncare-Cream-SPF30-50ml_1207082/ which is really nice to mix in with your moisturiser and you don't really need to reapply through the day unless you are in high rays. I have really pale, freckly skin and it perspires a lot in the summer months but this didn't make it worse at all!

• Advertisement

ihsb wrote: »
    This is a moisturiser I use with an SPF 15 in it. Perfect for everyday, wintry weather coverage. It is not oily at all, soaks right in, and has aloe vera in it. Plus it is so cheap!http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Simply-Sensitive-Day-Moisturiser-SPF15-125ml_1189241/

Then in the summer months I have used http://www.boots.com/en/Soltan-Once-Face-8-Hour-Sun-Protection-Moisturising-Suncare-Cream-SPF30-50ml_1207082/ which is really nice to mix in with your moisturiser and you don't really need to reapply through the day unless you are in high rays. I have really pale, freckly skin and it perspires a lot in the summer months but this didn't make it worse at all!

Thanks a mill! That's great, can't get any cheaper than Boots! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good facial sun screen. I have oily skin and I don't have a whole pile of money to spend. I know about Dior snow etc but that's out of my price bracket.

Any one have any recommendations?

Be very careful about what type of sunscreen you use. Many main brand sunscreens can contain very toxic products linked with the acceleration of certain cancers including skin cancer. They also block absorption of Vit D which is needed to prevent many common cancers. Try googling 'sunscreen' 'dangers of sunscreen' or if you are chemically knowledgeable have a look at your sunscreen ingredients on the bottle, Oxybenzone,Octyl methoxycinnamate,Retinyl Palmitate (known to cause or accelerate skin cancer) are particularly nasty. I cringe when i see mothers apply to babies. Sunscreen is not regulated by the FDA so cosmetics companies can use what ever products they want. I would suggest a hat is a cheaper and safer alternative

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Be very careful about what type of sunscreen you use. Many main brand sunscreens can contain very toxic products linked with the acceleration of certain cancers including skin cancer. They also block absorption of Vit D which is needed to prevent many common cancers. Try googling 'sunscreen' 'dangers of sunscreen' or if you are chemically knowledgeable have a look at your sunscreen ingredients on the bottle, Oxybenzone,Octyl methoxycinnamate,Retinyl Palmitate (known to cause or accelerate skin cancer) are particularly nasty. I cringe when i see mothers apply to babies. Sunscreen is not regulated by the FDA so cosmetics companies can use what ever products they want. I would suggest a hat is a cheaper and safer alternative

I'm not in a position to use a hat as I run and overheat quickly.

Could you back up those claims with medical papers, peer reviewed published papers. I don't believe everything you read on the internet.

I'm not in a position to use a hat as I run and overheat quickly.

Could you back up those claims with medical papers, peer reviewed published papers. I don't believe everything you read on the internet.

I can if you like but thats why i suggested you google it. The dangers of those chemicals is well known. Do not believe everything the cosmetics companies tell you. I will give you just one link as a taster

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/05/24/study-many-sunscreens-may-be-accelerating-cancer/

I can if you like but thats why i suggested you google it. The dangers of those chemicals is well known. Do not believe everything the cosmetics companies tell you. I will give you just one link as a taster

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/05/24/study-many-sunscreens-may-be-accelerating-cancer/

Fair enough, I'll still use sunscreen until such time as there are more studies carried out and published in the Lancet or similar. Thanks for your opinion.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I'll still use sunscreen until such time as there are more studies carried out and published in the Lancet or similar. Thanks for your opinion.

It is your body. I just try to encourage people not to put blind faith in either cosmetics companies or indeed what is best medical practice at present. It was not so long ago that smoking was recommended as healthy by the medical profession (1950's 1960's). Just have a quick look at the ingredients on your sunscreen bottle next time you go for a run.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Jsd1004, I assume you agree that if you were in a country with 40 deg sunshine, for example, you can't leave your face completely unprotected.
    So is there a particular one you would recommend? :)

Posy wrote: »
    Jsd1004, I assume you agree that if you were in a country with 40 deg sunshine, for example, you can't leave your face completely unprotected.
    So is there a particular one you would recommend? :)

Indeed, burning your skin is not sensible either and will indeed damage it. I live in Madrid where we have those summer temps. I dont use sunscreen at all but do limit my exposure through using light clothes shade and a hat. Sun gives you very powerful protection against all types of cancer through Vit D which sunscreen blocks so i try and get as much sun as possible without burning. I have not looked at the natural sunscreens in detail but there is definitely good ones out there and you will see some reviews here
    http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/natural-sunscreens-460608#fbIndex1
    I am not so sure about these and they may have health risks as well but they are definitely better than products with oxybenzone (regular sunscreens). Oxybenzone disrupts the hormonal system and can cause 'man boobs' and interferes with DNA. It has also been linked to the increase in melanomas worldwide (ironic i know)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxybenzone

I think if people realised that the harmless sounding sunscreen they were lashing on their bodies was a mix of Oxybenzone ,Octyl methoxycinnamate and other nasty chemicals they would think twice.

Happy sunbathing...

I think by and large the benefits of sunscreen outweigh the risks. There are many studies showing how sun damages skin and very few studies linking cancer and these chemicals. I hadn't heard of the danger associated with sunscreen before so, being a skeptic, did a bit of reading. There's a good review of the current data here: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/the-great-sunscreen-cover-up/

I am very fair-skinned and clothing and hat would not suffice for me, even on a moderately hot day in Ireland.

I think by and large the benefits of sunscreen outweigh the risks. There are many studies showing how sun damages skin and very few studies linking cancer and these chemicals. I hadn't heard of the danger associated with sunscreen before so, being a skeptic, did a bit of reading. There's a good review of the current data here: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/the-great-sunscreen-cover-up/

I am very fair-skinned and clothing and hat would not suffice for me, even on a moderately hot day in Ireland.

Your link is quite interesting. It recognises the danger of these chemicals but in cases of unavoidable skin exposure it is better than nothing. I would agree with this. If i was on a beach for a day with no clothes i would rather use sunscreen..but i think there is better options when skin exposure is avoidable.
    I used to be in your situation with similar skin type and after doing lots of research came to the opposite conclusion. Unfortunately a lot of studies are sponsored by cosmetics companies and vested interest. There is very little funding available to anyone who questions a cosmetics company. I liken it to psychiatric drugs where the drug companies promote studies and incentivise doctors to prescribe drugs such as prozac and there is little studies showing the negative side of using these very powerful drugs. ( unfortunately sunscreen is not regulated unlike psychiatric drugs)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Cover up and stay out of the sun won't help protect people's faces anyway- I could hardly wear a balaclava on sunny days! My sun cream (the soltan 'once' one from Boots) doesn't have any of those three ingredients anyway so I think I'll stick with it. :)

Posy wrote: »
    Cover up and stay out of the sun won't help protect people's faces anyway- I could hardly wear a balaclava on sunny days! My sun cream (the soltan 'once' one from Boots) doesn't have any of those three ingredients anyway so I think I'll stick with it. :)

Yes but it contains Octocrylene

Octocrylene is an organic compound used as an ingredient in sunscreens and cosmetics. It is an ester formed by the condensation of a diphenylcyanoacrylate with 2-ethylhexanol. It is a viscous, oily liquid that is clear and colorless.

The extended conjugation of the acrylate portion of the molecule absorbs UVB and short-wave UVA (ultraviolet) rays with wavelengths from 280 to 320 nm[1], protecting the skin from direct DNA damage. The ethylhexanol portion is a fatty alcohol, adding emollient and oil-like (water resistant) properties.

This organic compound can penetrate into the skin where it acts as a photosensitizer. This results in an increased production of free radicals under illumination.[2] Free radicals are known to induce indirect DNA damage and an increased concentration of free radicals might have contributed to the increased incidence of malignant melanoma in sunscreen-users compared to non-users (see Epidemiology of malignant melanoma)

Yes but it contains Octocrylene

Octocrylene is an organic compound used as an ingredient in sunscreens and cosmetics. It is an ester formed by the condensation of a diphenylcyanoacrylate with 2-ethylhexanol. It is a viscous, oily liquid that is clear and colorless.

The extended conjugation of the acrylate portion of the molecule absorbs UVB and short-wave UVA (ultraviolet) rays with wavelengths from 280 to 320 nm[1], protecting the skin from direct DNA damage. The ethylhexanol portion is a fatty alcohol, adding emollient and oil-like (water resistant) properties.

This organic compound can penetrate into the skin where it acts as a photosensitizer. This results in an increased production of free radicals under illumination.[2] Free radicals are known to induce indirect DNA damage and an increased concentration of free radicals might have contributed to the increased incidence of malignant melanoma in sunscreen-users compared to non-users (see Epidemiology of malignant melanoma)

Exactly. Might. There's no strong evidence. Very few studies. I'd rather protect myself against a known risk than a possible risk.

Exactly. Might. There's no strong evidence. Very few studies. I'd rather protect myself against a known risk than a possible risk.
    If it was a definite risk sunscreen would be banned and some of the ingredients will be in the future once more studies are carried out. I am only trying to encourage people to question their use of sunscreen and it looks like that has worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I've been reviewing a ton of facial sunscreens for a post and have to give major kudos for Vichy matte fluid with an SPF50. It dries really quickly so it's perfect for under makeup!

Neo Strata also has great moisturisers with SPF and they're cruelty free!

• Advertisement

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    I've been reviewing a ton of facial sunscreens for a post and have to give major kudos for Vichy matte fluid with an SPF50. It dries really quickly so it's perfect for under makeup!

Neo Strata also has great moisturisers with SPF and they're cruelty free!

Oh that's two votes for Vichy! :) I'll be wearing it under makeup alright so that's brill. Thanks SmokeyEyes

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭careful_now

Vichy do a lovely one especially for oily skin. It's spf 50. Feels really nice on the skin, costs 14.50euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Yes, it most certainly is. There was a case in 2006 (L'oreal if I remember) where there was a new formula given approval by the FDA in the US - and did people bitch and moan at the time. Chemicals in sunscreen have to be approved for intended use by the FDA, EMA (whatever for wherever) before it can go on the market in that particular country - I know Europe and the US won't allow something to go to market without approval from regulating bodies.

The "dangers of sunscreen" are that we are putting some potentially harmful chemicals on our body - obviously, this isn't the best situation to be in but the risks of going out in the sun without it are much much higher. There are countless papers (if you want some, I'll find them and post them later - couldn't be arsed right now) regarding the dangers of sun exposure, particularly in childhood/teenager years, and the link to cancers.

Vitamin D deficiencies are an issue in many northern countries, regardless of sunscreen use. I'm not doubting the reduction of vitamin D absorption by sunscreen but most of us are deficient with or without using it anyway. It may not be helping the situation, but the lack of vitamin D in our bodies is mostly due to lifestyle.

We use potentially harmful chemicals to clean our houses, cool our food, wash our clothes, wash ourselves, preserve our food, decorate our homes... the list is endless. I know many people are going for the more "natural" approach when it comes to all these things but the vast majority of us expose ourselves to potential nasties every day and are still here to tell the tale. I have no problem with people informing others about chemicals in products etc., but when the risks of not using it have been proven to be worse than those of using it - I know which side I will be on.

To be frank, and perhaps slightly rude, unless you have put several years of your life into researching (in a lab!) the information you are handing out, I will be taking it with several grains - maybe even a giant pinch - of salt.

On a different note - OP, another vote for Vichy here! Sultan by Boots is quite nice too, but I wouldn't use it if you have oily skin - it may be a bit greasy.

Yes, it most certainly is. There was a case in 2006 (L'oreal if I remember) where there was a new formula given approval by the FDA in the US - and did people bitch and moan at the time. Chemicals in sunscreen have to be approved for intended use by the FDA, EMA (whatever for wherever) before it can go on the market in that particular country - I know Europe and the US won't allow something to go to market without approval from regulating bodies.

The "dangers of sunscreen" are that we are putting some potentially harmful chemicals on our body - obviously, this isn't the best situation to be in but the risks of going out in the sun without it are much much higher. There are countless papers (if you want some, I'll find them and post them later - couldn't be arsed right now) regarding the dangers of sun exposure, particularly in childhood/teenager years, and the link to cancers.

Vitamin D deficiencies are an issue in many northern countries, regardless of sunscreen use. I'm not doubting the reduction of vitamin D absorption by sunscreen but most of us are deficient with or without using it anyway. It may not be helping the situation, but the lack of vitamin D in our bodies is mostly due to lifestyle.

We use potentially harmful chemicals to clean our houses, cool our food, wash our clothes, wash ourselves, preserve our food, decorate our homes... the list is endless. I know many people are going for the more "natural" approach when it comes to all these things but the vast majority of us expose ourselves to potential nasties every day and are still here to tell the tale. I have no problem with people informing others about chemicals in products etc., but when the risks of not using it have been proven to be worse than those of using it - I know which side I will be on.

To be frank, and perhaps slightly rude, unless you have put several years of your life into researching (in a lab!) the information you are handing out, I will be taking it with several grains - maybe even a giant pinch - of salt.

On a different note - OP, another vote for Vichy here! Sultan by Boots is quite nice too, but I wouldn't use it if you have oily skin - it may be a bit greasy.

Well yes I have. I am a chemical engineer. I have experience with these chemicals but not directly with their use in sunscreens. So keep to whatever side you like. I am giving an alternative view that is not very popular with the cosmetics companies. I am trying to inform people that these chemical products are potentially very dangerous, cancer causing and lots of very nasty side effects. The sun is not as evil as these companies make out and has lots of very positive benefits. Regarding regulation. Regulations are from decades ago and new regulations are yet to be implented (IIRC), mainly stalled due to lobbying from cosmetics companies. I used to be an advocate of using sunscreen until i performed research and did several studies on products. I have no vested interest and am only sharing my research. I am not saying sunscreen has no benefits. I am saying it is not the harmless and health beneficial product that we are led to believe. I dont care what you put on your skin but always question whatever chemical you use and that includes chemicals in the other applications you mentioned. Ignorance should not be an excuse.

http://www.emaxhealth.com/1020/lack-sunscreen-regulations-means-danger-consumers

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

Sali Hughes the beauty columnist for the guardian did a column on them a while back if you want a gander:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jun/18/sali-hughes-facial-sunscreens

Ultrasun SPF30 £19 (50ml), johnlewis.com
    No-nonsense block recommended by dermatologists. Wonderfully moist for dry skins.
    Temple Spa Self Defence SPF30 £33 (50ml), templespa.com
    A light but moist lotion that kept even my dehydrated skin comfortable. A great base for make-up on all skin types.
    Crème de la Mer SPF30 UV Protecting Fluid £52 (40ml), johnlewis.com
    Yes, it's expensive, but honestly, this is perfection. Great texture, make-up goes on like a dream. I apply straight over serum, before tinted moisturiser.
    Sunsense Daily Face SPF50 £14.99 (75g), shop.crawfordpharma.com
    This matt, non-greasy formula with a pretty tint is fantastic for oily skins.
    Shiseido Urban Environment UV Protection Cream SPF50 £30.50 (50ml), selfridges.com
    I adore this. I smooth it over my serum for a perfectly moisturising make-up base.
    Shu Uemura UV Under Base Mousse SPF30 £29 (64ml), shuuemura.co.uk
    If you hate the feeling of sunscreen on your face, this is the answer. A feather-light mousse and make-up primer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

I personally think that recommending not to wear sunscreen in a country which has an incredibly high rate of skin cancer patients is incredibly irresponsible. While you may not agree with it, it has been proven time and time again to be one of the main ways to prevent skin cancer.

One in three people in Ireland will develop cancer during their lifetime.
    In Ireland an average of 30,000 new cases of cancer are diagnosed each year. The number is expected to rise to over 40,000 per year by 2020.
    29,775 people were diagnosed with cancer in 2009, 15,364 men and 14,441 women.
    Data sourced from the National Cancer Registry of Ireland (NCRI) (www.ncri.ie)

Please please protect your skin, especially if you are fair skinned in weather like this.

Go to www.cancer.ie for more accurate information on how to protect yourself.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Hi jsd1004

Do you know of any sunscreens that don't contain any of the dangerous chemicals you've mentioned?

I hadn't considered any of the negative side effects of using sunscreen. I'm incredibly pale and bought an SPF 50 earlier today in boots because I'd run out. Usually after Twenty minutes in the sun and I can feel my face burning (the only bit of my body that sees sunlight :) )

Is your skin burning not worse than the potential risks of using the sunscreen?

I intend on reading up on this soon. Thanks for all the information. Hope this doesn't come across as attacking you or anything I'm just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

HI

Just wondering do you wear SPF under your makeup and if so will it last all day, as to reapply will mean reapplying a full face of make-up.

Just wondering what people does here, I am very fair and doing my best not to get burned .....................
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

molly09 wrote: »
    HI

Just wondering do you wear SPF under your makeup and if so will it last all day, as to reapply will mean reapplying a full face of make-up.

Just wondering what people does here, I am very fair and doing my best not to get burned .....................
    Thanks

I did an SPF post recently and got a girl from La Roche Posay to answer questions for the site, here's the one about when to reapply:

1. How often should you apply SPF when sunbathing?

Apply the sunscreen 20 minutes before leaving the house, then reapply every 80mins or after bathing or excessive sweating (even if using a waterproof formula). There is a large choice of textures (cream, fluid, gel, lotion, stick, even high protection oils) adapted to everyone’s preferences and needs, so its very easy to find one suitable to you.

There's more on the site if anyone wants to read it: http://smokeyeyesmua.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/top-spfs-for-under-makeup/

I apply a load in the morning and that's it but was thinking about getting something like below which is a powder and an SPF, I have a mattifying gel I use as primer from the brand and it's amazing so would defo give this a shot!
    peter-thomas-roth-instant-mineral-powder-spf-45.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

I love La Roche Posay and Avene facial sunscreens. Both are really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

Institut esthederm is the best out there, aluminium free and allows vit d through to your skin. Some girls were popping it on people yesterday in dundrum it smells gorgeous!

clicli wrote: »
    I personally think that recommending not to wear sunscreen in a country which has an incredibly high rate of skin cancer patients is incredibly irresponsible. While you may not agree with it, it has been proven time and time again to be one of the main ways to prevent skin cancer.

One in three people in Ireland will develop cancer during their lifetime.
    In Ireland an average of 30,000 new cases of cancer are diagnosed each year. The number is expected to rise to over 40,000 per year by 2020.
    29,775 people were diagnosed with cancer in 2009, 15,364 men and 14,441 women.
    Data sourced from the National Cancer Registry of Ireland (NCRI) (www.ncri.ie)

Please please protect your skin, especially if you are fair skinned in weather like this.

Go to www.cancer.ie for more accurate information on how to protect yourself.:)

I am not recommending people to do anything. I am trying to make people aware of the dangers of a product which they might not be aware of. I agree sun exposure has been linked with skin cancer and you should avoid excessive exposure. I have never stated that people should not protect themselves from the sun. As i have pointed out though sun exposure (not burning) has been linked with lower rates of cancer in general due to Vit D which is only available from the sun naturally. Sun exposure in the med along with other factors is linked to the lower incidence of general cancer in the population. However this is not a recommendation to go out in the sun with no protection. The sun can be very dangerous and like most things should be taken in moderation. I do not agree that sunscreen is a good form of protection due to the toxicity of several ingredients. This is the last post i will make on this matter. I am happy if at least people now question the use of sunscreen and research it for themselves.

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/easy/12574308-423/sunscreen-leaves-consumers-confused.html

There is a link at the end which allows you to enter the brand and check its ingredients to see how dangerous they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Bought the Boots Soltan Face Moisturising Suncare Cream yesterday (6 euro, half price :D )

Used it today and didn't find it greasy, went for a walk in the heat and it didn't cause any unusual oil production... I'll have to wait to see if it breaks me out (I have very oily, spot-prone skin). Looked almost like a tinted moisturiser straight from the tube but went on sheer and absorbed quickly. Claims it can be used under make-up but I won't be testing that as my foundation already has SPF 15.

Pretty chuffed with it as I was planning on buying the 20 euro La Roche Posay or Vichy alternatives. And it has the usual UVA/UVB protection, with options of SPF 15 or SPF 30 (and I think I remember seeing a SPF 50 one too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

I've always found boots suncream to be great and easy on the skin. I was living in north America and bought generic sunscreen there and it turns out that I've reacted quite badly to the oxybenzone in it. Swollen face and arms, rashes etc.

I'd suggest if you have sensitive skin to be wary of this chemical. Thankfully there seem to be other creams that are mineral based readily available. If you're worried about which to use I'd ask a pharmacist or doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Over the past few years I've started to react to suncreams that contain chemical sunscreens. I can use them anywhere apart from my face.

I've stopped using facial moisturisers that contain chemical sunscreens and have noticed that my complexion is a lot less redder than it used to be. On my face I use Dermalogica Super Sensitive Shield Spf30 which contains only mineral sunblocks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement