Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Discussion and Help Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

Hey guys, hoping for the B2 in French this year and am trying to get some good sentences and that sorted for some topics in case they come up- i'm thinking of preparing a couple of sentences on each of the following- does anyone think I should add any more to the list?
    • Racism/Discrimination
    • Drugs
    • Drugs in Sport
    • The Economic Crisis
    • Emigration
    • Pollution and the enviroment
    • Importance of Learning Languages
    • Tobacco
    • Unemployment
    • The Elderly
    • Position of Women in Society
    • Tourism
    • Famine in the World
    • Olympic Games
    • Computers/Technology
    • Formal Letters
    • Informal Letters
    • Diary Enteries
    Then i'm gonna try and know a couple of nice idioms, a subjunctive or two and try and make sure my grammar and that is ok. What do you think?

maybe prepare a few sentences on image/celebrity as well :) good list though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I could do most of that, but what would you say for women in society, and for old people? :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I could do most of that, but what would you say for women in society, and for old people? :L

Hey Patchy, gone through us a few good French artists there to listen to to sharpen my french skills would ya? :) (bonus points if the music is good :P)

Haha, I learned something new from the comments already - 'Pouce vert' = thumbs up :P And lol is the same as French as it is in English. :L Thanks man :)

• Advertisement

Haha I learned those too :P Oh and another, one of my favourites, cant believe I forgot it :O
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiHWwKC8WjU
    Np :D

Haha I learned those too :P Oh and another, one of my favourites, cant believe I forgot it :O
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiHWwKC8WjU
    Np :D

Tune and a half haha, brought a smile to my face :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

And lol is the same as French as it is in English. :L

I think lol in French is mdr, mort de rire! My French teacher sometimes says it, she's a bit weird :P

Wesc. wrote: »
    I think lol in French is mdr, mort de rire! My French teacher sometimes says it, she's a bit weird :P

Haha I know, all the french heads seem to be writing lol on the video tho. :P MDR doesn't really sound right though, it's kinda morbid :L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Wesc. wrote: »

That's right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Hey Patchy, gone through us a few good French artists there to listen to to sharpen my french skills would ya? :) (bonus points if the music is good :P)

Jena Lee, Mylène Farmer, Tété, Les Cowboys Fringants, Jali, Joyce Jonathan etc are really good too!

Also MC Solaar and Stress if you like that kinda music! x)

Rire `a (cant do the accent :L) ventre deboutonne (accents in there too but my alt gr doesnt work) means to laugh your head off too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

Si vous voulez améliorer votre compréhension auditive,Il faut que vous écoutiez la meme chose de nombreuses fois. Par exemple,si vous etes en train d'aborder l'examen d'auditive 2011, je vous recommanderais de le pratiquer plusieurs fois pour mieux comprendre ce que vous venez d'écouter. Ca marche pour moi ! Aussi, je pense que vous devez aller sur le site francaisauthentique.com et écouter des podcasts que johan nous présente. Vous pouvez également abonner aux septs regles de francais authentique qui sont gratuites. Ca c'est ce que je fais et bien sur dans ces derniers temps,j'avais remarqué une grosse amélioration qui me permets d'écrire facilement et a l'avenir je vais apprendre a parler francais de facon automatique et sans effort. Alors, allez sur son site pour que vous puissiez comprendre ce que je viens d'exprimer. Ca vaut le coup !

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

grantyrs10 wrote: »
    Si vous voulez améliorer votre compréhension auditive,Il faut que vous écoutiez la meme chose de nombreuses fois. Par exemple,si vous etes en train d'aborder l'examen d'auditive 2011, je vous recommanderais de le pratiquer plusieurs fois pour mieux comprendre ce que vous venez d'écouter. Ca marche pour moi ! Aussi, je pense que vous devez aller sur le site francaisauthentique.com et écouter des podcasts que johan nous présente. Vous pouvez également abonner aux septs regles de francais authentique qui sont gratuites. Ca c'est ce que je fais et bien sur dans ces derniers temps,j'avais remarqué une grosse amélioration qui me permets d'écrire facilement et a l'avenir je vais apprendre a parler francais de facon automatique et sans effort. Alors, allez sur son site pour que vous puissiez comprendre ce que je viens d'exprimer. Ca vaut le coup !

They seem good! :D Just wondering though how do I actually download the podcasts to my laptop? I click download, and it then goes into the podcast itself and starts playing, but how do you actually download it to your laptop?

What would be the right way to say "What a horrible person to be with"? I ask out of curiousity out of whether the word "dont" would be a part of it. Also if anyone could post some extra expressions which use 'dont' that'd be great! :)

Haha how would dont come in there? I'd just say "Quel <appropriate word>, je le deteste" or something. Don't works like ne pas, e.g. "Let sleeping dogs lie" = "Don't wake the sleeping cat" = ne pas reveiller le chat qui dort :)

Haha how would dont come in there? I'd just say "Quel <appropriate word>, je le deteste" or something. Don't works like ne pas, e.g. "Let sleeping dogs lie" = "Don't wake the sleeping cat" = ne pas reveiller le chat qui dort :)

Not 'don't', 'dont'. :P It means 'whom', I know that much. It's mainly used in a personal context like 'Voici la femme dont [whom] j'adore'. I'm not sure if qui and dont can be used interchangeably but I'm trying to get as much as much information on it as I can. Aye don't (do not) in english is handy enough to translate like :pac: Yeah check this out, it seems it can basically can be exchanged for 'whom' or 'which'... http://www.wordreference.com/fren/dont looks pretty handy for streamlining clunky sentences e.g 'C'est la chose que j'ai besoin de' -> 'C'est la chose dont j'ai besoin' :)

Oh god, derp :P Hmmm that looks useful! Could you not just say, though, "c'est la chose que j'en ai besoin"?

Looks to me like a bit of a pronoun itself, replacing qui ___ de? The example used says c'est un enfant dont je suis fier, but fier goes with de doesnt it? Thats the only thing confusing me, but otherwise it looks like it can switch into que/qui's place :) I'll ask my French teacher if I see her around the school. :D

Regarding the other post you made, I assume "what a horrible person to be with" is then "Il est un type dont je deteste d'etre avec" or something...but can you finish with etre avec? It looks really bad to me D:

Looked again and saw that dont replaces 'pour' in dont la plupart...what a tricky word :L Seems to be 'which' more than whom. Kinda the same thing I guess :P

Oh god, derp :P Hmmm that looks useful! Could you not just say, though, "c'est la chose que j'en ai besoin"?

Looks to me like a bit of a pronoun itself, replacing qui ___ de? The example used says c'est un enfant dont je suis fier, but fier goes with de doesnt it? Thats the only thing confusing me, but otherwise it looks like it can switch into que/qui's place :) I'll ask my French teacher if I see her around the school. :D

Regarding the other post you made, I assume "what a horrible person to be with" is then "Il est un type dont je deteste d'etre avec" or something...but can you finish with etre avec? It looks really bad to me D:

Looked again and saw that dont replaces 'pour' in dont la plupart...what a tricky word :L Seems to be 'which' more than whom. Kinda the same thing I guess :P

Yeah man, it's a tough one to nail down. :P You'd see it used alot on figaro, le monde, france inter and that in their news pieces (when referring to a person who did something, or sometihng like that), so that's why I wanted to go and figure out what it meant. Might throw it in to my written pieces in the exam because it's not a word you'd see french students using alot and hopefully the examiner'll clock that I know my stuff. :pac: Yeah I had a go at it and I came up with 'Je deteste dont etre avec', which makes ZERO sense lol. I'ma keep learning about it and hopefully I can master it, add another feather to my french cap haha. And yep it fully replaces 'de' I think, that's the idea of it like in one of those first sentences I posted 'C'est le chose que j'ai besoin de' -> add dont and remove the de -> 'C'est le chose dont j'ai besoin'

God I love French, there's so much to learn in it. :P It's funny, for any other subject that'd be a bad thing but I actually like french so much that it's a bonus.

I just saw this, I think you'd find it really helpful! It's got some nice general phrases in it that I think will come in handy in the exam. :)http://french.about.com/od/grammar/a/pronouns_stressed_2.htm Dans la vie, chacun pour soi!

I agree! It's like a never ending amount of knowledge, but its a lot of fun and interesting and its like you're finishing a jigsaw :) Ohhhh I like soi, I'll have a read of it once I'm finished my maths :D

I tried to make a new example for dont, and I cant. Oh man this is a fun challenge :pac: It definitely seems to be "of whom/which", so I'm not sure it'd fit the "What a horrible person to be around", e.g. "the thing of which I have need". So maybe if you said "I like cats, of which I have two" it'd be "J'aime les chats, dont j'ai deux"? Seems a weird construction and I might be wrong but hey, worth a shot. :P

• Advertisement

Actually I'm doing a test on french.about.com (it brought me straight there, no time to learn! :L) and I'm getting it I think :) C'est l'homme _____ j'ai rêvé - dont goes in here I'm pretty sure. I'll tell ya how I do :P

I agree! It's like a never ending amount of knowledge, but its a lot of fun and interesting and its like you're finishing a jigsaw :) Ohhhh I like soi, I'll have a read of it once I'm finished my maths :D

I tried to make a new example for dont, and I cant. Oh man this is a fun challenge :pac: It definitely seems to be "of whom/which", so I'm not sure it'd fit the "What a horrible person to be around", e.g. "the thing of which I have need". So maybe if you said "I like cats, of which I have two" it'd be "J'aime les chats, dont j'ai deux"? Seems a weird construction and I might be wrong but hey, worth a shot. :P

Actually I'm doing a test on french.about.com (it brought me straight there, no time to learn! :L) and I'm getting it I think smile.gif C'est l'homme _____ j'ai rêvé - dont goes in here I'm pretty sure. I'll tell ya how I do :P

En fait, cela me parait exactement correct. :D Fair play to ya sticking with the Honours maths hey, I could never do that :P Bon chance avec l'epreuve, j'attends vos resultats avec impatience :P

Haha thanks :P It's such a hard subject, I think I'd prefer to have dropped for the peace of mind but I should manage a C :)

I got 16/20 - got all the donts right, but rushed some of them :L Also, didnt realize "The day I saw him" translates as "the day where I saw him"! But yeah its literally just que ___ de! I'd always wondered what happens with "Que j'avais besoin de", its "dont j'avais besoin" - and if it was "the thing I felt like doing" its "la chose dont j'avais envie faire" :)

Are there any flaws in my logic or is it good to go? :P

Haha thanks :P It's such a hard subject, I think I'd prefer to have dropped for the peace of mind but I should manage a C :)

I got 16/20 - got all the donts right, but rushed some of them :L Also, didnt realize "The day I saw him" translates as "the day where I saw him"! But yeah its literally just que ___ de! I'd always wondered what happens with "Que j'avais besoin de", its "dont j'avais besoin" - and if it was "the thing I felt like doing" its "la chose dont j'avais envie faire" :)

Are there any flaws in my logic or is it good to go? :P

Sounds really good man! Fair play on the wee test haha. Those sentences really illustrate the handiness of it, thanks :) What do you mean by 'The day I saw him' -> 'The day where I saw him' tho? :$ Like, 'le jour ou je l'ai vu?' that kinda thing? Or what? :P

Haha thanks :P It's verrrrrry handy, for the environment or something you could say "Le gouvernment a construit les éoliennes dont nous avions besoin"! :D

Exactly :) Or 'le moment ou il est entre la maison' - seems a little odd but its just another nugget of knowledge to remember I guess :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I got a nice handout with phrases on it so I'll share some :)

En toute chose, il y a le pour et le contre = there is a for and an against in everything

J'ai des opinions partagées en ce qui concerne cette idée = I have mixed feelings with regard to this idea

Il va sans dire que.... = it goes without saying that.....

Le monde d'aujourd'hui est bien différent = today's world is a very different place

Ils ne veulent pas regarder la réalité en face = they are closing their eyes to the reality

Il me semble que le gouvernement pratique la politique de l'autruche = it seems to me that the government is practicing the politics of the ostrich

Ils ont la tête enfoncée dans le sable = they have their heads stuck in the sand

Le gouvernement a un rôle indispensable á jouer = the government has a vital role to play

La situation en ce moment est préoccupante = the situation at the moment is worrying

I hope some of these help

Anybody got any examples of French written pieces that got full marks? :) I wanna see something to model my answers on. What do you guys think is the best way to get full marks in those pieces? I know using a wide variety of tenses gets marks but I think more points are going for clarity/answering the question than say, getting certain tenses in. But if you can get both you'll be set I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ptrlaurent

Here is a great website if your finding verbs hard show it to your teachers if you can!
    http://www.vatefaireconjuguer.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

Does anyone have a pre prepared piece on racism they would be willing to share? I'd rather not use my own French and the institute predicted it

• Advertisement

skanger wrote: »
    Does anyone have a pre prepared piece on racism they would be willing to share? I'd rather not use my own French and the institute predicted it

Hmm got two pieces about immigration that are both pretty high standard, they'd fit in to a piece about racism if you added one or two extra sentences in. I've got one or two pages of immigration and racism vocab, I can pm you that stuff if you want. Got anything you can send me in return? I'll still send it to you if you don't but it'd be nice to get something in return for typing the stuff up, takes time like. :)

Advertisement