Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Discussion and Help Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

Hmm got two pieces about immigration that are both pretty high standard, they'd fit in to a piece about racism if you added one or two extra sentences in. I've got one or two pages of immigration and racism vocab, I can pm you that stuff if you want. Got anything you can send me in return? I'll still send it to you if you don't but it'd be nice to get something in return for typing the stuff up, takes time like. :)

I have a nice list of french phrases I can share, I'll do it here later when I finish studying, I have answer on doping in sport too.

I have a few English essay plans that I feel are high standard I could PM you too.

These offers go for anyone else too, even if you don't have anything in return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

skanger wrote: »
    I have a nice list of french phrases I can share, I'll do it here later when I finish studying, I have answer on doping in sport too.

I have a few English essay plans that I feel are high standard I could PM you too.

Cool! Sure send me whatever essay plans ya have for Hamlet, I'll type this stuff up now for ya :D I'll prob pastebin it too so other can people can have a gander at it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jamiered81

Would love the sentences and essay plans if you wouldn't mind sending them.. will be happy to send anything in return.. thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

what english essay plans do you have? :) would you be able to PM me them?

I've a wide variety of french essays too if anyones interested! Essays on literally anything and everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

jamiered81 wrote: »
    Would love the sentences and essay plans if you wouldn't mind sending them.. will be happy to send anything in return.. thanks:D
    what english essay plans do you have? :) would you be able to PM me them?

I've a wide variety of french essays too if anyones interested! Essays on literally anything and everything!

I can send yous my French compositions (four, all A2/A1 standard) they're all on different stuff like but maybe yis'd find them useful. :) I've a good bit of vocabulary and things that I can send too! Astrozombies if you've got french stuff on Technology and Drugs I'd love if you could send me them :D Hamlet stuff is appreciated too, but I'ma try and keep the topic on French :P But yeah Technology + Drugs would be unreal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Yeoowwwww come on giz some drugs SEC!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Yeoowwwww come on giz some drugs SEC!! :P
    I HOPE Drugs in sport comes up! It's one of them essays that are so specific you could write the stuff you've learnt off and get full marks!

Agreed! I did one straight after my oral (my teacher likes to keep me occupied :pac:) and she gave me her revision book to do it with, and it was sooooo handy <3 I need to revise it...but still, it was perfect :P I imagine it has a good chance of coming up too with the olympics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

Any good phrases/sayings/ideas for drugs in sport and racism around? Can't really find any good links in google. I'll accept pms too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

I've read in the exam papers advice section that you shouldnt write anything down during the 1st hearing of your aural exam.... like just listen to get a feel for it, and do all the writing in the second hearing, where they give you breaks between sections.

Anyone think this works better? I normally just try to write everything as fast as i can, is it actually better to just listen for the 1st playing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I've read in the exam papers advice section that you shouldnt write anything down during the 1st hearing of your aural exam.... like just listen to get a feel for it, and do all the writing in the second hearing, where they give you breaks between sections.

Anyone think this works better? I normally just try to write everything as fast as i can, is it actually better to just listen for the 1st playing?

Don't change your style now! I prefer writing down everything first hearing then rechecking it for the next two.

Can someone please point out any mistakes in these sentences/answer a few questions please?

Is it: dopage dans le sport, or dopage en sport?

Any corrections here: C'est un dommage de nos jours, car aux Jeux Olympics, quand quelqu'un brise un record du monde, ou quand quelqu'un gagne qui n'etait pas prevu de gagner, il y aurai des articles le jour suivant de speculer l'usage de drogues.

Il n'y a pas un probleme aussi grand avec les drogues en autres sports.

Il faut absolument que les associations sportives fassent quelque chose pour resoudre cette probleme, car cela va ruiner le sport.

PS, I know where the accents go, just couldnt be bothered putting them in!

Thanks in advance, ad if anyone has any other stuff for drugs in sport, don't be afraid to share!

treely wrote: »
    Can someone please point out any mistakes in these sentences/answer a few questions please?

Is it: dopage dans le sport, or dopage en sport? en sport

Any corrections here: C'est un dommage de nos jours (id just say c'est dommage, but i think both are okay), car (i'd have said qu'aux) aux Jeux Olympics, quand quelqu'un brise un record du monde, ou quand quelqu'un gagne qui n'etait pas prevu de gagner, il y aurai (il y aura = there will be, il y aurait = there would be. aurai is the first person) des articles le jour suivant de speculer l'usage de drogues. (i'm not 100% sure if that last sentence is right, i'd phrase it "qui specule que l'homme ou la femme a utilise les drogues")

Il faut absolument que les associations sportives fassent quelque chose pour resoudre cette (cet - problem is masculine) probleme, car cela va ruiner le sport. (a nice way to say this would be avant que le sport soit ruiné)

Thanks in advance, ad if anyone has any other stuff for drugs in sport, don't be afraid to share!
    There were a few things I wasnt 100% sure of myself that I would personally have phrased differently but I'm sure they're correct, I'm just paranoid :P

There were a few things I wasnt 100% sure of myself that I would personally have phrased differently but I'm sure they're correct, I'm just paranoid :P

Thanks. Some stupid mistakes in there that I shouldnt have made! Hopefully I dont do it in the exam. How would you have phrase it differently? Its so frustrating, because I have loads of ideas in English, but they are way too complex to translate, and when I try to simplify it it just sounds stupid!

You'll probably notice when you read over it, I do it too! Just this one: Il n'y a pas un probleme aussi grand avec les drogues en autres sports. "En autres sports" is probably correct but just something about the sentence seems odd to me. I'd have said "Les autres sports n'ont pas un probleme avec le dopage" or something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

je suis ****ed :(

i'd love a formal letter to come up! :D

You'll probably notice when you read over it, I do it too! Just this one: Il n'y a pas un probleme aussi grand avec les drogues en autres sports. "En autres sports" is probably correct but just something about the sentence seems odd to me. I'd have said "Les autres sports n'ont pas un probleme avec le dopage" or something :)

So much simpler and sounds better! Thanks again:)

No problem, glad to help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

treely wrote: »

Is it: dopage dans le sport, or dopage en sport?

Any corrections here: C'est un dommage de nos jours, car aux Jeux Olympics, quand quelqu'un brise un record du monde, ou quand quelqu'un gagne qui n'etait pas prevu de gagner, il y aurai des articles le jour suivant de speculer l'usage de drogues. (il y aurait des articles le jour suivant qui speculerait que soit on avait triché avec les drogues(ou avec les stimulants)

Il faut absolument que les associations sportives fassent quelque chose pour resoudre cette probleme, car cela va ruiner le sport.

the rest of it was corrected already by patchy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Hey all

I just came accross this thread and thought I might be able to help. I'm a native French speaker so let me know if you need any help. no big huge massive essai will be written for anyone but if you're unsure of any spelling or sentences just ask me, I'll be happy to help ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Hi all,

I was wondering what topics ye are covering for the written questions? I was thinking maybe something on the Euros or Olympics but apart from that I'm stuck:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 StephanieC93

was wondering has anyone anything on the importance of learning several languages? or racism, i'm starting to panic :P

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rosualt

was wondering has anyone anything on the importance of learning several languages? or racism, i'm starting to panic :P

I've got a fair bit on them :P are you looking for a whole essay question or just some words and phrases?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 StephanieC93

anything at all at this stage :P i'll PM you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Hi all, I've prepared the following topics for the written questions:

Euro 2012
    Olympics
    3rd world
    Environment
    Fashion
    Crime
    Alcohol/Smoking/Drugs
    Racism
    Tourism
    Violence
    Road Accidents
    Emigration
    Immigration

Is there anything else I should be covering or anything I can leave out? Thanks!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rosualt

smithy77 wrote: »
    Hi all, I've prepared the following topics for the written questions:

Euro 2012
    Olympics
    3rd world
    Environment
    Fashion
    Crime
    Alcohol/Smoking/Drugs
    Racism
    Tourism
    Violence
    Road Accidents
    Emigration
    Immigration

Is there anything else I should be covering or anything I can leave out? Thanks!:D

You've loads there but it might be worth your while preparing something on technology? Just some specific vocab for mobiles, internet and all that jazz :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LEAVINGMAD

Hey guys was wondering what everyone thought of this answer, any feedback would be apprecaited :)

Moi, je ne peux pas me passer de mon portable. C'est un objet indispensable de nos jours. Qu'en pensez vous?

Je ne suis pas particulièrement accro au portable et je dois admettre qu'ils m'embetent pour la plupart. Je sais qu'avoir un portable permet d'etre toujours en contact avec ses copains et sa famille mais les gens qui parlent au portable dans les lieux publics m'enervent, je pense qu'il est vraiment impoli. Il va de soi que je ne comprends pas pourqoui les enfants ont des portables. On n'a pas besoin d'un portable a l'age de 7 ou 8 ans. Par contre il faut admettre que je me sens plus en securite de pouvoir contacter mes parents ou mes copains en cas d'urgence, mais ce n'est pas toujours. A l'epoque les gens communiquaient quand ils se rencontres dans la rue. A mon avis Il faut retrouver le plaisir de communiquer simplement. On doit essayer de le couper de temps en temps.

Looks perfect to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Vetton

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or such? This is the one subject I struggle with.

I've tried to search for patterns through past papers but can only come to the conclusion that there are none, other than sport more or less coming up quite often in some shape or form on the paper.

I've also taken into account to keep a good eye on the news as that's quite beneficial to what topics that could appear on the paper. Those and the a good grip on the vocab and grammar. But anything else? And any help for those dreadful tape questions? Those Frenchies speak so darn fast. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

LEAVINGMAD wrote: »
    Hey guys was wondering what everyone thought of this answer, any feedback would be apprecaited :)

Moi, je ne peux pas me passer de mon portable. C'est un objet indispensable de nos jours. Qu'en pensez vous?

Je ne suis pas particulièrement accro au portable et je dois admettre qu'ils m'embetent pour la plupart. Je sais qu'avoir un portable permet d'etre toujours en contact avec ses copains et sa famille mais les gens qui parlent au portable dans les lieux publics m'enervent, je pense qu'il est vraiment impoli. Il va de soi que je ne comprends pas pourqoui les enfants ont des portables. On n'a pas besoin d'un portable a l'age de 7 ou 8 ans. Par contre il faut admettre que je me sens plus en securite de pouvoir contacter mes parents ou mes copains en cas d'urgence, mais ce n'est pas toujours. A l'epoque les gens communiquaient quand ils se rencontres dans la rue. A mon avis Il faut retrouver le plaisir de communiquer simplement. On doit essayer de le couper de temps en temps.

I would change that to:
    -1-Qu´ils sont vraiment impolis and add a little exclamation mark, unless you are saying that IT IS rude to do so as opposed to THEY are rude,then change it to C'est vraiment impoli
    -2-slight typo probably :P
    -3-what are you trying to say here?that it's not always the case? a bit unclear.

However these are minor, the rest is beautiful french :)

Advertisement