Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parenting Courses

Options
  • 16-05-2012 3:22pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was listening to a lady plugging these www.practicalparenting.ie courses today on the radio and I'm thinking of doing the one-day course..

Has anyone any experience with these sorts of things? Are they any good? It's €99 for a Saturday or you can spread them out into smaller classes over a few weeks afaik.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

Not sure if I'd recommend a one day course ... I think half of the benefit from parenting courses is the support from other participants.

I have recently done the Triple Parenting course which was run in my area (Longford/westmeath)free of charge. I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Having worked in the area of Childcare i found much of the programme was based on well researched child development theory ... I found it to be non judgmental and very empowering - it doesn't tell u what to do but gives u the skills to try different approaches to see what works for your family. It's only a pilot afaik so i'm not sure it'll be available in other areas.

I did another parenting course about 10 + years ago which was funded by the HSE through a parent and toddler group. This was more chatty with people relating their experiences ... While I enjoyed this for the social aspect, I don't know that I learned much from it.

Good luck whatever u decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

We considered doing a Parenting Course as well but decided against it. We did found parenting books really useful, specially those published by DK.

Advertisement