Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External examiner query?

Options
  • 16-05-2012 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just have a quick query and was wondering if ye may be able to help me out.....

Just finished my science degree and I may have to see the extern next week. I'm just curious as to what happens with regards to questions they may ask? Are they very detailed??

I've been told that they usually ask about the final year project but that they may also ask about questions you chose not to answer in the exams....... Bit worried about the latter as I didn't study those for a reason.

Trying to guage how much reading I need to do in the next week cos I'd prefer not to have to cover anything new after a mad month of study!!

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

I finished a degree in Science a few years ago and it was mandatory for everyone in the class to meet with the extern.
    The only real preparation I did was read back over my final year project and a literature review I'd written. In the end I didn't get asked anything at all about either. The questions he asked were very general, such as if I knew who had won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry that year, and what my plans for the future were. Sorry I can't think of many more questions as this is going back over 5 years.
    Overall I found the whole process to be fine, was in and out in about 10-15mins. I heard that although everyone in the class had to have a meeting, the result of the meeting only really mattered if your grades in the exams were borderline, so if the extern was pleased with how you answered the questions in the meeting they might bump you up to the higher grade. Every college is different though I suppose.
    Sorry I can't be a bit more helpful, hope it goes well for you. And congrats on finishing your degree:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Thank you very much Pamplamousse for your reply.........You've been a great help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

My experience with the external examiner was pretty good too. Finished my degree 2 years ago. I got asked about the research project I'd done but not to any great extent or detail. Mainly it just felt like a comfortable chat. I didn't get asked any questions about other parts of my course and to my knowledge, nobody else did either. What you have to realise is that this is your project. You know much more about it than they do. Have a brief look over it again and remind yourself about the important factors, i.e. why you chose a certain technique over a different technique and stuff like that. Try not to be too tense. If you're relaxed, it'll go much more smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Thanks for that Improbable...... Ye guys have really allayed any fears I've had:)

Advertisement