Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printing from sql server express

Options
  • 16-05-2012 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a sql server express db with about 1000 records relating to venue locations in the city.

I wish to print much of this this data (venue name, address, opening times etc) to a document (not to screen)
    How can I best achieve this?

I have basic .net skills (used to be better :( ) - coudl I use VB.net or crystal reports???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Depending on how you want the final document to look you may find Crystal reports better. The source would be the output of a query on the Database.

Alternatively you could run the query in SQL Express copy the output and paste it into a spreadsheet (Excel or Libre office) format it and print it.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Well for printing you can go file -> print.

If you want to know how to get the specific rows/columns you want you can use a SQL query. If you don't know anything about SQL you can still easily perform simple queries with a little reading. Just note if the data is spread over a number of tables this can complicate matters.

W3Schools give a brief tutorials on creating SQL queries.

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp

You could use VB.NET but you would at some point have to replicate the same SQL query that you would use directly in SQL Express. Crystal reports would also be able to do it but I haven't used them and am unsure of the complexity involved in generating what sounds like a pretty simple report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

thanks for that .. yeas I'm ok with sql / .net.

I'm not seeking a tabular print out more w formatted report like format...so perhaps I'll investigate crystal reports....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I believe you can use MS SQL Reporting Services with SQL Express.

You could also set up mail merge from Word and extract the data that way....or export as XML and transform with XSL to produce a new report.

Loads of ways really.

Advertisement