Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lift to bring up shopping

Options
  • 16-05-2012 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I have been bringing my friend's shopping and fuel up stairs for her for the past few years but I hurt my back a few weeks ago and it became apparent very quickly that she needs some type of goods lift to get the heavy stuff up.There is no room for a dumb waiter so I thought an old stair lift [unsuitable for human use] might do the trick. Could take the chair off and put on a box. Its a straight stairs . If anybody knows of someone with an old lift which cant be upgraded for safe human carriage I would be interested in getting in touch.
    Thanks. J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Is the stairs inside or outside? On her own private property, or a council block, or a private apartment block or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jcro

Its inside her own private front door. Private stairwell up to her home. I'm looking to put together an inside lift capability for shopping etc.

I wouldn't be thinking about something unfit for human use. The day will come when she's going to need to use the thing herself. You'll see stair lifts coming up for sale second-hand from time to time, though it can be hard to get someone to fit the 2nd hand ones. Check out the local authority grants availability for mobility devices like this.

In the meantime, maybe she (or you) should be ordering online and letting the delivery man bring the stuff up the stairs?

Thanks SerialComplaint.
    She would use it to bring stuff down also,such as plants for repotting ,water for the gro boxes ,bags of emptys etc etc.. So Im still on the lookout...
    J

How wide is the staircase? If it is a narrow stairs, I'd worry about safe width for evacuation purposes, given that a stairlift will take up some space on one side.

• Advertisement

Four feet.

I bought a minivator on donedeal.ie and installed it a few days ago.Works
    very well.Solves her problem.

Jcro.

jcro wrote: »
    I bought a minivator on donedeal.ie and installed it a few days ago.Works
    very well.Solves her problem.

Jcro.

Great to hear it worked out. Was it easy enough to install?

Its fairly straightforward if you have a bit of mechanical and electrical
    experience. Wear a back brace if your working on one.The carriage is heavy if your on your own. Don't rush it.
    But I should add ,if your not confident, you should leave it to the professional people.

jcro.

Advertisement