Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you reach YOUR Activation Energy?

• 16-05-2012 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Lately i have required larger amounts of heat to reach my activation energy. I cannot understand this phenomenon as the particle size of information has significantly decreased but I still cannot effectively collide with my books. What is the method by which you reach activation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

What is the nature of the reactants? Do you have a strong bond with your books? Literally the only way I can achieve activation energy is a catalysis effect, I just hope that the time will speed up and the reaction will be over soon so we can ingest copious amounts of a lovely little hydrocarbon called ethanol. Sadly though even with catalysis the effective collisions are few and far between and I'm not getting much done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Perhaps an increase in concentration would help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

What is the nature of the reactants? Do you have a strong bond with your books? Literally the only way I can achieve activation energy is a catalysis effect, I just hope that the time will speed up and the reaction will be over soon so we can ingest copious amounts of a lovely little hydrocarbon called ethanol. Sadly though even with catalysis the effective collisions are few and far between and I'm not getting much done.

Sounds like you may be covalent. Have you checked your solubility lately?
    Maybe you are incorrectly catalysing yourself, I.e, an ineffective catalyst?

Sometimes I feel the only thing which holds me together are Van Der Waals forces. It's a sad state to exist in, but better than having your dipoles cancel, right? *sigh* perhaps I'm too endothermic for earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

reznov wrote: »
    Sounds like you may be covalent. Have you checked your solubility lately?
    Maybe you are incorrectly catalysing yourself, I.e, an ineffective catalyst?

Sometimes I feel the only thing which holds me together are Van Der Waals forces. It's a sad state to exist in, but better than having your dipoles cancel, right? *sigh* perhaps I'm too endothermic for earth.

Well I have been feeling quite polar lately, so maybe. I'm actually quite afraid I've been taking inhibitors. My catalytic converter hasn't been working properly at all lately, so it's always a possibility.

It's better than being in a state of equilibrium, I can't stop pacing backwards and forwards while pondering the meaning of Chemistry Livfe.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

reznov wrote:
    Lately i have required larger amounts of heat to reach my activation energy. I cannot understand this phenomenon as the particle size of information has significantly decreased but I still cannot effectively collide with my books. What is the method by which you reach activation?

Perhaps your problem is due to your environment. Try lowering the specific heat capacity of your container to reduce heat loss therefore making more efficient use of the heat you supply to the system. Have you been substituting an adequate amount time for relaxation? Relax in the sun for a while and ultra-violet light may initiate the formation of your free radicals.
    Well I have been feeling quite polar lately, so maybe. I'm actually quite afraid I've been taking inhibitors. My catalytic converter hasn't been working properly at all lately, so it's always a possibility.

It's better than being in a state of equilibrium, I can't stop pacing backwards and forwards while pondering the meaning of Chemistry Livfe.

Perhaps your situation is reversible. If the stress has become too much for you, I would recommend consulting a man by the name of Le Chatelier.

• Advertisement

Dynamic equilibriums in which the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the reverse, is quite a neutral, mundane and a rather depressing existence. Luckily it is easily solved by the application of a stress to alter the state. Continue to apply the stress, and an equilibrium will never be reached!

It's an enlightening post regarding the heat capacity of my container. After calculating the heat of formation and deploying Hess' Law, I realized my situation is rather grim. No matter the number of stages I take in reacting with books, it will be the same as me simply cutting to the chase. Perhaps I may have to purchase a new house? Or migrate to a friend's house for the time being?

But what if I am not an ideal gas? What if I turn out to be real: reactive, with my volume not negligible to the space in which I am confined. How would I explain to my colleague that I was unable to diffuse into his room? I don't want to be judged harshly.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

Dynamic equilibriums in which the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the reverse, is quite a neutral, mundane and a rather depressing existence. Luckily it is easily solved by the application of a stress to alter the state. Continue to apply the stress, and an equilibrium will never be reached!

It's an enlightening post regarding the heat capacity of my container. After calculating the heat of formation and deploying Hess' Law, I realized my situation is rather grim. No matter the number of stages I take in reacting with books, it will be the same as me simply cutting to the chase. Perhaps I may have to purchase a new house? Or migrate to a friend's house for the time being?

But what if I am not an ideal gas? What if I turn out to be real: reactive, with my volume not negligible to the space in which I am confined. How would I explain to my colleague that I was unable to diffuse into his room? I don't want to be judged harshly.

I think you have exceeded your critical mass of studying leading to a chain reaction of the splitting of your nuclei. It is imperative that you conserve your mass-energy in these endeavors. Try to reduce your stress levels or you could spend your half-life wondering why you spontaneously decayed during your exams.
    pondering the meaning of Chemistry Livfe.
    I've figured it out! well not all of it but half, it's the time taken for half the nuclei of a sample to decay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Ethanol is not a hydrocarbon...

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

ChemHickey wrote: »

Yup must be made up exclusively from Hydrogen and Carbon to be be a Hydrocarbon

Yup must be made up exclusively from Hydrogen and Carbon

I concur.
    Although I will not penalise any candidates CHEMISTRY booklet if they make a blunder on the boards.

• Advertisement

I was going to say that earlier but then I decided I would instead focus on helping poor reznov reach a maximum rate of reaction. Reznov, I think what you need to do is identify the limiting factor here, I'm willing to bet it's the concentration of your reactants as you're posting on boards when you could instead be pushing yourself to your intellectual capacity in order to induce perspiration, which would cause increased solute concentration in your blood. This is of course going to cause your pituitary to release ADH, so I would recommend remedial action be taken immediately, my suggestion would be surgical removal of the pituitary gland. This way solute concentration in all body tissues will steadily increase, meaning your rate of reaction will increase steadily for the rest of your life.

Which I would estimate at around 20 minutes, give or take a few minutes, depending on your level of surgical competence.

Now, this may sound drastic, but if you really want to push the limits of your rate of reaction, you have to be willing to make certain sacrifices.

finality wrote: »
    I was going to say that earlier but then I decided I would instead focus on helping poor reznov reach a maximum rate of reaction. Reznov, I think what you need to do is identify the limiting factor here, I'm willing to bet it's the concentration of your reactants as you're posting on boards when you could instead be pushing yourself to your intellectual capacity in order to induce perspiration, which would cause increased solute concentration in your blood. This is of course going to cause your pituitary to release ADH, so I would recommend remedial action be taken immediately, my suggestion would be surgical removal of the pituitary gland. This way solute concentration in all body tissues will steadily increase, meaning your rate of reaction will increase steadily for the rest of your life.

Which I would estimate at around 20 minutes, give or take a few minutes, depending on your level of surgical competence.

Now, this may sound drastic, but if you really want to push the limits of your rate of reaction, you have to be willing to make certain sacrifices.

Inspirational post. This is exactly the form of help I require. You know, i don't think I'll halt at only removing my pituitary gland, I'll surgically isolate my brain and preserve it in a jar. This way, only my intellect would operate, without the ability to procrastinate on boards or other infuriatingly addicting websites.

I reckon with Biology knowledge from LC, I'll pull off this surgical procedure successfully. Perhaps I should remove areas such as the hypothalamus, cerebrum and the medulla Oblongata for good measure? I need maximum focus in study after all. Wouldn't want any pesky nerves to fire unwanted impulses along the axons!

Or he could cut himself into little pieces... greater surface area and what not...

but finality, what if in a rare turn of events, reznov wants a child, and, due to the surgical procedure can no longer produce prolactin... or what if he stopped growing, forever remaining a few centimetres shorter among us all.

Could you live with the guilt finality?

Or he could cut himself into little pieces... greater surface area and what not...

but finality, what if in a rare turn of events, reznov wants a child, and, due to the surgical procedure can no longer produce prolactin... or what if he stopped growing, forever remaining a few centimetres shorter among us all.

Thyroid gland is responsible for regulating metabolic processes.

But as ChemHickey accurately pointed out, HGH is secreted from pituitary.

Thyroid gland is responsible for regulating metabolic processes and subsequently growth

You seem to be forgetting about HGH... Human Growth Hormone.

You seem to be forgetting about HGH... Human Growth Hormone.

Point taken. I stand corrected.

Point taken. I stand corrected.

Lets hope thyroid gland will suffice in my case however.

Human Growth Hormone is Pituitary not Thyroid.. unless I'm missing something. How about parathyroids for controlling Mg and Ca levels...

Human Growth Hormone is Pituitary not Thyroid.. unless I'm missing something. How about parathyroids for controlling Mg and Ca levels...

No no it isn't. HGH is pituitary! You're not forgetting anything. I stupidly forgot about HGH.

Inspirational post. This is exactly the form of help I require. You know, i don't think I'll halt at only removing my pituitary gland, I'll surgically isolate my brain and preserve it in a jar. This way, only my intellect would operate, without the ability to procrastinate on boards or other infuriatingly addicting websites.

I reckon with Biology knowledge from LC, I'll pull off this surgical procedure successfully. Perhaps I should remove areas such as the hypothalamus, cerebrum and the medulla Oblongata for good measure? I need maximum focus in study after all. Wouldn't want any pesky nerves to fire unwanted impulses along the axons!

I think perhaps you should keep your cerebrum, at least your parietal and temporal lobes. Your frontal lobe is quite redundant and can freely be removed. The same goes for the rest of the brain, it is quite superfluous.

In fact, a prefrontal lobotomy might be the simplest and quickest solution to your problems. It should be successful in suppressing your personality and desires, which seem to be obstacles you need to overcome. Just think, only your personality really stands between you and success!

As reznov is male, prolactin is more of a hindrance to him than anything. High levels of prolactin can actually cause impotence and infertility in men. Also, prolactin may be responsible for sexual satisfaction, so by eliminating it, reznov could become a driving force for human evolution.

And as a male of ~18 years, it is likely that reznov has already reached full adult height.

I am giving reznov the best advice available to achieve the greatest intellect the world has ever known, it goes without saying that he may have to make some sacrifices. It's his choice, there is no guilt.

Maybe one day I'll be like reznov...

• Advertisement

No no it isn't. HGH is pituitary! You're not forgetting anything. I stupidly forgot about HGH.

If you took my advice you would not stupidly forget about HGH.

Finality, I no more deserve such intriguing, self actualising and valuable advice for I have made a fundamental mistake.

My name remains tarnished by a greenhorn biologist error. Perhaps my road in life ends here.

If you took my advice you would not stupidly forget about HGH.

Maybe he might want a sex change and children... Then it wouldn't be a hinderance... also, who knows... reznov might not have reached puberty yet.. and often males continue to grow into their early twenties.. he might have an inch or two left... and you just want to take that away from him! :O He mightn't be able to ride space mountain without them!

Finality, I no more deserve such intriguing, self actualising and valuable advice for I have made a fundamental mistake.

My name remains tarnished by a greenhorn biologist error. Perhaps my road in life ends here.

No matter what you go on to achieve in life, when you die and people look back at your life, all that will matter is that you made a biology-related error on boards.

Maybe he might want a sex change and children... Then it wouldn't be a hinderance... also, who knows... reznov might not have reached puberty yet.. and often males continue to grow into their early twenties.. he might have an inch or two left... and you just want to take that away from him! :O He mightn't be able to ride space mountain without them!
    I admit it. I'm just short and bitter about it, and want to condemn reznov to a life of insecurities about his height, so I'll feel better about myself. :'(

No matter what you go on to achieve in life, when you die and people look back at your life, all that will matter is that you made a biology-related error on boards.

I admit it. I'm just short and bitter about it, and want to condemn reznov to a life of insecurities about his height, so I'll feel better about myself. :'(

Oh finality I know your woe. I'm but a pH 2.7 solution of HNO3, and my friends are but phenolphthalein, not recognising my sharp and acidic comments I make. Only few recognise my trauma. Are... are you methyl orange? or perhaps you are universal indicator... the wisest of us all.

Reznov is a pH meter I'd say...

Oh finality I know your woe. I'm but a pH 2.7 solution of HNO3, and my friends are but phenolphthalein, not recognising my sharp and acidic comments I make. Only few recognise my trauma. Are... are you methyl orange? or perhaps you are universal indicator... the wisest of us all.

I'm.... I'm....

LITMUS

:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

I'm not smart enough for this thread so I'll just leave.

That is quite a pleasant compliment ChemHickey. Thank you.

Luckily I am able to detect your acidic nature, which should ensure you feel appreciated. HOWEVER, I can potentially be calibrated incorrectly, leading to a margin of error.

Litmus paper is so mudane. Red or blue colours. Very "basic".

Litmus paper is so mudane. Red or blue colours. Very "basic".

I can't even accurately detect an end point. My existence is meaningless. I'll be forever relegated to junior cert science. :(

• Advertisement

I can't even accurately detect an end point. My existence is meaningless. I'll be forever relegated to junior cert science. :(

You'll be scrutinized even by JCs for being too boring and repetitive.

What is lower than JC science?
    The bin.

Advertisement