Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying near Queens. Where to go out?

Options
  • 16-05-2012 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭

I'm heading up to Belfast for a night with some friends and we're staying near Botanic railway on Cromwell Road.
    Just wondering if there's any good bars in that area, i see it's close to Queens, or are we better off heading straight into the city?
    Which is the best route to the city to stop off in a few bars along the way? What part of the city should we be aiming for? Is it all walkable?

Cheers!

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Head in to town.

The Crown
    Robinsons
    The Apartment
    The Garrick
    The Morning Star
    McHughs
    Kitchen Bar
    Whites Tavern
    The Duke of York
    John Hewitts
    Northern Whig

They are all great bars.

Bars around Queens are studenty type bars and aren't the best IMO.

Here's a map of their locations:

http://g.co/maps/a7t7j

You could walk in easily, walking from there to The Crown bar for example would take about 10 minutes, but Belfast taxi's are dirt cheap and would only cost you 3 or 4 quid to get in. Once you're in town you can walk along between them all pretty much, but again taxis are cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

awec wrote: »
    Head in to town.

The Crown
    Robinsons
    The Apartment
    The Garrick
    The Morning Star
    McHughs
    Kitchen Bar
    Whites Tavern
    The Duke of York
    John Hewitts
    Northern Whig

They are all great bars.

Bars around Queens are studenty type bars and aren't the best IMO.

Here's a map of their locations:

http://g.co/maps/a7t7j

You could walk in easily, walking from there to The Crown bar for example would take about 10 minutes, but Belfast taxi's are dirt cheap and would only cost you 3 or 4 quid to get in. Once you're in town you can walk along between them all pretty much, but again taxis are cheap.

That's almost a pub crawl! Excellent, cheers!

I've done them in a crawl before. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rojorolo

Places I generally would go out to in Belfast are.

For a night out

Filthy Mc Nastys
    Laverys (quite close to Botanic Station)
    McHughes
    The Duke of York
    Hudson Bar (behind Castle Court)

Filthys and Laverys are both in the Queesns area and I love them esp if its a rare sunny day and you can sit out in the garden in Filthys.

Plus if you want a Coppers equivilant The Bot is ideal (not my kinda thing at all but people seem to love it)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Isotonik

From Botanic practically all of the city centre bars are walkable so you've your pick of the bunch.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info, if you see a group of lads with a map heading from the queens area to those pubs on saturday night it'll be me.

Is there a dress code for most of those bars? In dublin I normally wear runners (dark colour retro addidas type, not sparkling white nike air max). Are these acceptable or should I wear shoes? I'm guessing a group of 5 lads should probably split up when it gets later and pubs are busier.

On my list The Apartment and the Northern Whig would be the 2 with "dress codes". The Apartment is pretty fancy, it's technically a cocktail bar. Nice bar mind, all the ladies are in nice dresses etc. The Northern Whig probably won't let you in in runners.

All of the rest are just pubs and you'll have no problem. You won't have an issue with a group of lads either. Can't remember off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure that The Apartment and the Whig are the only 2 on the list that have door staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Isotonik

You'll get into the Apartment and Northern Whig easily with denim, a smart shirt / t-shirt and even some low key trainers.

Thanks, I'll go with my addidas then. Cheers lads

After visiting half the bars on the list, all really good, thanks again! Filthy Mc Nastys is probably my favourite.
    The one problem was, at 12:45am we found out that belfast is basically a dry city at 1am!

• Advertisement

Ah yes, draconian licensing laws means that 95% of establishments will stop serving at 1am and the places that do serve later aren't exactly the classiest.

All the locals were giving out about the new licencing laws. We went to a nightclub that is probably one of the places you're talking about (think it's called Rain) and there were actually police inside making sure they didn't serve alcohol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Paparazzo wrote: »
    All the locals were giving out about the new licencing laws. We went to a nightclub that is probably one of the places you're talking about (think it's called Rain) and there were actually police inside making sure they didn't serve alcohol!

Rain has a very bad rep.

el tel wrote: »
    Rain has a very bad rep.

Yeah, we knew it was a hole, but it was the only chance of a drink so it was that of head home to bed. And we weren't drunk enough!

Advertisement